Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get an annoying occurrence when listening to the DAB radio (Radio Four) on my 2016 Leaf Tekna.
After a minute or so of listening a section of the spoken words are repeated '...a section of the spoken words are repeated...'. This then happens every couple of minutes. Is this a fault with the Infotainment system, or is it a characteristic of DAB reception? This doesn't happen when I'm listening to the two DAB radios we have at home.
What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
616 Posts
Funnily enough I've been having the same issue listening to radio 4 on DAB in my Golf, only happens in some areas (always the same areas) so I'm assuming it's a transmission issue rather than with the car.

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,654 Posts
I get this in certain areas of the town where I live - I put it down to switching between transmitters which are on slightly different delays. There can be differences in volume and quality which help make it more apparent too.

Very annoying but should be limited to certain geographic areas, though I should think they change depending on channel due to the different frequencies.

I notice it more in built-up areas, presumably because the differing buildings have an impact on reception quality and the car is searching for the best it can get at any one time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I get this in certain areas of the town where I live - I put it down to switching between transmitters which are on slightly different delays. There can be differences in volume and quality which help make it more apparent too.

Very annoying but should be limited to certain geographic areas, though I should think they change depending on channel due to the different frequencies.

I notice it more in built-up areas, presumably because the differing buildings have an impact on reception quality and the car is searching for the best it can get at any one time.
Got this too with my Sony DAB system on both BBC Radio 4 and Radio 6. It only started about 6 months ago but I also noted that the signal strength has reduced and it occurs when signal drops out and then recovers. Have written to the BBC technical division and am awaiting a reply. I am a Quality Engineer by profession, so I gave them lots of information to help them find the root cause. Will post the reply when I get it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I get an annoying occurrence when listening to the DAB radio (Radio Four) on my 2016 Leaf Tekna.
After a minute or so of listening a section of the spoken words are repeated '...a section of the spoken words are repeated...'. This then happens every couple of minutes. Is this a fault with the Infotainment system, or is it a characteristic of DAB reception? This doesn't happen when I'm listening to the two DAB radios we have at home.
What are your thoughts?
This will be the DAB signal dropping out and radio going to the FM signal. If the DAB signal improves it goes back. The DAB is a second behind approx so you will hear this second of broadcast again. It won't happen on DAB exclusive stations like radio 5 extra. You will just get silence.
It took me a while to figure it out.

·
Registered
110 Posts
This will be the DAB signal dropping out and radio going to the FM signal. If the DAB signal improves it goes back. The DAB is a second behind approx so you will hear this second of broadcast again. It won't happen on DAB exclusive stations like radio 5 extra. You will just get silence.
It took me a while to figure it out.
That's right, the DAB in the leaf can switch to FM if it thinks the DAB signal isn't strong enough but it can pick up the FM version. So listening to station like R4 or R2 does this and DAB is usually a bit behind FM. And it's annoying, however on R6 it just drops out instead for a bit as there is no alternative.

I believe it's a setting though that you can turn off.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I get it on R2 at the same place on my commute through the Hampshire countryside to Andover, it only happens a few times during the trip so I put up with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts