Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
When you pick a Tesla up, can you just go full bore - or do you have to be careful for any run in period?
(I'm presuming not as its not an ICE car, but was worried about breaking something :))

Striving for a greener planet
Tesla Model 3 LR AWD 19" FSD; Renault Zoe Q210 22kWh
Also, I can tell you from experience, take a bit of time to get the feel for how a Tesla handles. When I picked mine up it was very jittery ride home. Was sooo quick. Unlike anything I've had before and I've had some fast cars.
Every blip of the accelerator it wanted to rip up the tarmac. By the time you think about overtaking you've already done it. Took a while to get my foot sensitivity right.
I can understand how there are people who stuff them into something within 20 miles.
Edit: my journey home was on the motorway.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. Noted about tires and breaks. I'll be driving Miss Daisy for the first few hundred then ;)

Registered
Thanks guys. Noted about tires and breaks. I'll be driving Miss Daisy for the first few hundred then ;)
i thought the idea was to scrub off the tyres with some power slides and bed in the brakes properly with some 0-60-0 runs?

Registered
Are they still doing that thing where you can't test drive but you can return it in the first week/1000 miles? Seems like you want to give it a good work out before the return time is up.

Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
Manufacturers stopped advising run-in for ICE cars years ago too, but some people don't forget old habits. I doubt anything other than driving it normally is required.

Registered
It used to be common many years ago to see a notice on the rear window of a new car "Running in - please pass". In those days you were told not to exceed a certain speed for the first 1000 miles or so.

Registered
Just had rear brake discs replaced on my Ampera after 8 years. Nice man at Halfords suggested I go easy on them for a couple of hundred miles. How hard is that going to be? I now have to deliberately drive faster at stationary traffic so I can practice bedding them in.

Registered
... brake discs replaced on my Ampera after 8 years. ... Halfords suggested I go easy on them for a couple of hundred miles..
馃槀馃ぃ:LOL: The only reason they needed replacing was precisely because you'd been going too easy on them for the last umpteen thousand miles, like the rest of us! I now make a point of selecting neutral as I get near home, to make sure the last bit of gentle braking uses the disks only, so warms them up & dries them off if they got wet diring the trip, and polishes them up a tiny bit each time. No need to engage in extra-heavy braking, that'll just wear out your tyres prematurely! (That is, if they haven't already cracked up like the Michelins did...!)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts