Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Kia E-niro 4+
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our first electric car, the e-niro 4+ is arriving next week :oops:

In prep for handing back our ICE, I put a bit of free air in the tyres whilst filling up with diesel for the last time...

And then it occurred to me that - in terms of my conscience - free air is often supplied on the unwritten agreement that it's subsidised by your fuel purchase.

But I'll no longer be purchasing fuel! It feels a bit cheeky to me - but then I can't ever bring myself to pay for air either!

How do others feel about silently wafting in to a forecourt in their BEV, grabbing some free air, then shooting off into the distance.

Any pangs of guilt?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Our first electric car, the e-niro 4+ is arriving next week :oops:

In prep for handing back our ICE, I put a bit of free air in the tyres whilst filling up with diesel for the last time...

And then it occurred to me that - in terms of my conscience - free air is often supplied on the unwritten agreement that it's subsidised by your fuel purchase.

But I'll no longer be purchasing fuel! It feels a bit cheeky to me - but then I can't ever bring myself to pay for air either!

How do others feel about silently wafting in to a forecourt in their BEV, grabbing some free air, then shooting off into the distance.

Any pangs of guilt?
The e-Niro has a pump supplied that runs off the 12v socket. It works well.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,030 Posts
Unless you are extremely tight fisted, just buy an electric pump from Amazon, Halford or Argos.:)
I've never used a forecourt air supply for 50years.

·
Registered
Kia E-niro 4+
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sainsbury's round here and a few independents give free air round here. Perhaps they know no one in Yorkshire will pay for air!!

Unless you are extremely tight fisted
I am a Yorkshireman......... :ROFLMAO:

The e-Niro has a pump supplied that runs off the 12v socket. It works well.
I didn't know that!

Get a foot pump? It's free exercise!😁
It will also burn off the snickers (marathon!), coffee and cake!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
ah ok, down in the south east I’m surprised we don’t have to pay parking while using the fuel pumps let alone the air🙄
My brother lives in London (ok, Essex, but within the M25 so it's all London to me). He doesn't understand when I park one street over in the Yorkshire town where I live because it's free parking instead of 60p/hour. Mind you, the free-to-use rapid charger is in the paid carpark, but you don't have to pay for parking while charging. However, this being Yorkshire, last time I went down there I could only get on the AC as an etron had just started on the DC, and another 2 Teslas turned up over the next few minutes... free is free.

·
Registered
Puma GTE > Suzuki Jimny > BMW Z4 > Cupra Leon ST
101 Posts
I hate paying for air!
So much so that whenever I have to fill up my tyres I go to a more expensive Tank station that has a more convinient air filling location!
It is principles thing I guess..:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Pretty sure my car came with a 12v pump. I probably won’t have it long enough to make use of it 😂

·
Registered
93 Posts
Here is the current price of crude oil:

Yet we are paying as if it was 7 years ago. Don't feel any guilt for these opportunist gougers. £1.38/l i had to pay at a M-Way services the other day, luckily we only top the other car up once every 3 months or so.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My local Sainsburys used to provide Free air. I took my classic car there last week after it's winter sabbatical and discovered the machine is now contactless and they charge 30p from your debit card.

Serves me right for not using the foot pump in the shed I have already paid for.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,012 Posts
Cars that don't supply a spare tyre will have an emergency kit for a small puncture that includes a 12v pump. It's buried somewhere in the boot of course but will be there somewhere and it works free from the 12v socket.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Almost ALL cars come with the 12v pump now. Not used free (or any) forcourt air in years.

I will say though, buy a good pressure gauge, the ones on the electric pumps are woefully inaccurate.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts