Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would recommend that EV owners look at today's Matt cartoon in the DT.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Thanks ?
I was quite surprised when i went to plug mine in yesterday,
I pulled off the rubber cover from the plug & it was full of water :eek:
I tipped it on the ground & all was fine ?

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
In one of the TV news reports I saw a BMW i3 under water up to the bottom of the windows with the owner nearby. Yeah, that's not going to drive again.... :rolleyes:

I also saw many examples of people driving through water in normal hatchbacks/sedans where the water level was up well past the bumper to the grill... sure, you might make it to the other side of the flooded stretch of the road but I guarantee that car won't be working this time next week... Stupid...

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
18,525 Posts
It's just a joke.

Although the fact that electric cars are now in a Matt cartoon probably means that they're in the minds of middle England. :)

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
In one of the TV news reports I saw a BMW i3 under water up to the bottom of the windows with the owner nearby. Yeah, that's not going to drive again.... :rolleyes:

I also saw many examples of people driving through water in normal hatchbacks/sedans where the water level was up well past the bumper to the grill... sure, you might make it to the other side of the flooded stretch of the road but I guarantee that car won't be working this time next week... Stupid...
The drowned i3 might, when plugged in to charge, have a second life as an industrial immersion heater. :)

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Here is the video:

Water above the grill numpty 6 seconds in. Many ICE cars have the engine air intake hose just behind the grill so extremely stupid and risky.

BMW i3 at 13 seconds - ok I take it back, not up to the windows but still half way up the door. Unless it's water proof like a boat that thing is scrap even if it initially appears to work after drying out...

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BMW i3 at 13 seconds - ok I take it back, not up to the windows but still half way up the door. Unless it's water proof like a boat that thing is scrap even if it initially appears to work after drying out...
From the manual:

Do not exceed the maximum water level and maximum speed; otherwise, the vehicle's engine, the electrical systems and the trans‐ mission may be damaged.

Drive though calm water only and only if it is not deeper than 9.8 inches/25 cm and at this height, no faster than walking speed, up to 3 mph/5 km/h.

The battery is sealed but I doubt if that i3 is going anywhere soon under its own power.

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,340 Posts

(This comment too, is tongue in cheek)

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 24 Tekna '64 reg
1,426 Posts
EV's should be better at water wading than similar ICE cars?

Of course, soaked in water for hours like the i3 wouldn't do the connectors any good.

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,340 Posts
Seems to me that the Leaf was being tested in known and controlled conditions and the driver confident and competent enough to keep up a good bow wave. Which is fine, but still not something I'd do purposefully if at all possible to avoid by going a different route, phoning ahead to say I'll be late or whatever. But I'm definitely of the "safety nets (IP ratings etc) are there to give you a chance if you fall, not for leaping into" mindset here :)

Also learned when my IP68 rated Samsung watch got water damage from being worn in a bit of a downpour and the warranty was invalidated, that IP ratings are only a testing standard and certification, not a guarantee. To that end they're useful for the manufacturer selecting parts and making claims in advertising, but worth little more than the paper they're written on to the end user. Especially if they don't follow the (typically conservative) guidance in the manual.

Reactions: wyx087

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,340 Posts
Can someone please explain why this is considered a good thing?
It's either one of those very counterintuitive things or total bollocks and I'd like to know which.
AIUI it means you're displacing the water and making it shallower beneath the "engine" bay. Mostly of concern in an ICE with the air intake but if you'd also rather not unnecessarily flood the "bay of EV bits and bobs". But too slow and it won't form and too fast and it'll come back on you and make things worse, hence the comment about confidence and competence.

Meanwhile the AA tells you not to.

Another reason not to mess with floods in the first place IMHO...

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
AIUI it means you're displacing the water and making it shallower beneath the "engine" bay.
But in ICE cars (and this 'advice' has been around for years) there's a big hole in the front where the cooling air goes in. A bow wave just replaces the air with water.
As to the shallower bit ... hm.

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,340 Posts
But in ICE cars (and this 'advice' has been around for years) there's a big hole in the front where the cooling air goes in. A bow wave just replaces the air with water.
As to the shallower bit ... hm.
Diagram 3 illustrates it here: Driving in deep water - Drivingfast.net

Some like the AA tell you not to create one, this is because in urban areas the wave can end up in people's houses or if there's another car coming the other way it damages that.

But sites suggesting creating one if need be:
How to drive through a flood (this one goes into a bit more detail and warns you to let oncoming traffic through first)

Better inform them all that one poster on a forum says they're wrong :)

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
Better inform them all that one poster on a forum says they're wrong
Who was that then? Are you doing a donald?

I notice that one of those articles specifically says "drive slowly to avoid creating a large 'bow wave' (a small wave can be helpful but too much and the water can wash back into the engine)" which I can understand.
It looks to me that, as ever, people tend to take advice that a little something being good means that lots more will be lots better ... like red wine :)

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,340 Posts
I never even said it was a good idea to create a large one or generally not know what you're doing, just that the Leaf appeared to be tested in ideal "test conditions" by someone who also seemed to be keeping one up...

Still maintaining the view that it's better not to put yourself in a position where you have to care whether to create one or not.

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
Still maintaining the view that it's better not to put yourself in a position where you have to care whether to create one or not.
Absolutely.
'Get-home-itis', 'what-could-possibly-go-wrong?' or plain old 'thumb-in-bum-and-mind-in-neutral' are responsible for most things that go horribly wrong.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts