Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Daimler has opened a new charging park for electric commercial vehicles at the Stuttgart-Untertürkheim headquarters.

Daimler Trucks and Mercedes-Benz Vans will jointly use the charging stations for its electric test vehicles.

The new charging park will be a further step in the electrification strategy and connected corporate activities.

The innovative charging stations have a total output of 1 megawatt, distributed to two DC fast charging stations with 300 kilowattseach for trucks, and three more charging stations with 150 kilowatt output each for vans.

When the vehicle is connected to an appropriate station, the charging process is started via a chip by which the station recognises the respective vehicle automatically. The stations are equipped with all common plug variants for electric Truck.
Source: http://www.opaev.com/2020/02/daimler-opens-new-charging-park-for-electric-vehicles.html?m=1

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Wonder if you pull up with an EQC it would work or not... Be interesting to try it just randomly, if its not in some fenced off non public area of course...

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,697 Posts
Trying to work out the numbers on this as to why trucks need 300kW charge rates....

The maximum an EU truck can go is 252 miles before the driver must have a 45 minute break (that being 4.5 hours at 56mph (just under 80kph). So if the truck needs a full charge at every 45 minute break, that means it's essentially operating at 1mpkWh....or about a quarter the efficiency of a car, which sounds about right. And said truck would need a 300kWh battery which is going to take a serious lump out of the payload!

In reality a truck would probably need more like a 1MWh battery because the last thing you want to be doing is two full cycles of the pack every single day ?

Interesting, but I still think Hydrogen is the better option for long range HGVs (in fact it's pretty much the only place where Hydrogen, with all it's huge prerequisite requirements, makes a seemingly sensible choice compared to BEVs). I've been wrong before though!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts