Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

About Electric Highway:

"From next Spring we're hoping to start building really fast chargers. I think they're called high power chargers in the world of chargers. 350 kW, that kind of stuff, umm hopefully contactless so you don't need to use an app or be a member of a scheme or something like that. So, much more similar to today's petrol and diesel pumps so you can just turn up, wave your card ..."

·
Registered
6,429 Posts
Yes. And goes on to say that they will load 100 miles of travel in 5 minutes.

I wonder why Robert didn't call him out on that and ask what mass market cars are planned to be built soon, and capable of accepting such charge speeds?

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,654 Posts
Yes. And goes on to say that they will load 100 miles of travel in 5 minutes.

I wonder why Robert didn't call him out on that and ask what mass market cars are planned to be built soon, and capable of accepting such charge speeds?
Probably because the way Dale Bince was talking about it really demonstrated that he just doesn’t seem bothered about it. If he did, he might actually bother to be sure about what things are called!

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
26,308 Posts

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
What are 350kW chargers called?

I think the EV world should stop referring to chargers as slow, fast, rapid, ultra etc., and just say what the max output is... like 7kW, 22kW 50kW, 150kW, 350kW &c.

I think he said pretty much what I was expecting him to say. Although it is frustrating to those of us who would like to see hubs of ten or more 'high power' ;) chargers at MSAs, and all we have is a couple of old EcoT chargers.

There is not much of an incentive for them to install more chargers, unless there is some sort of financial benefit. I don't expect to see them installing loads of 350kW chargers at MSAs, unless they are contracted to do so. They have so many other projects in the pipeline that would actually make them some money.

·
Registered
6,429 Posts
If a car charges at 350kW then that is not untrue.
I know. :)

But what's the point of saying that if there are no cars available for the man in the street to buy that can take that rate of charge? It's point scoring that is pointless. And Robert just nodded rather than say that. It was vapourware talk and he got away with it.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Soon cars will need 350kW charging, how else do you fill up a Rolls Royce or a Ferrari that has massive batteries, not needed for the more humble traveller.

·
Banned
1,827 Posts
Robert isn't a journalist. An actual journalist interviewing Dale and it would not be so cosy. There is no shortage of hard hitting questions to be asked. You have to wonder why Dale is on the schedule and messing around at the exhibition show thing, he should be getting his Electric Highway sorted out.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
3,872 Posts
Robert isn't a journalist. An actual journalist interviewing Dale and it would not be so cosy. There is no shortage of hard hitting questions to be asked. You have to wonder why Dale is on the schedule and messing around at the exhibition show thing, he should be getting his Electric Highway sorted out.
I bet you don't get a question and answer session with him. Surely he wouldn't be that naive.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Well Dale showed zero enthusiasm in that interview for the EH. I think he is just a numpty after all. The high power chargers I presume are the London ones and therefore will not be at MSA's. The contact less payment method will likely be a requirement of the funder for those chargers (or government policy). Quite funny how Dale just does not join the dots together. He has MSA without chargers because of power limits. In another part of the interview he says battery storage is the answer for solving power needs at some sites. So why has he not done that ?

London chargers for 2018 on ecotricity website ? Dale said in the interview Spring 2019.

"The Ecotricity pumps will be installed on Motor Fuel Group’s (MFG) Shell, BP and Texaco branded service stations in the first half of 2018."

Electric Highway expands into London

I think we should designate "Dream dream dream" the EH company song or maybe "Busy doing nothing". :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Richard

·
Premium Member
10,680 Posts
EH aren't one of the five suppliers who won the TFL rapid charging bid. All TFL chargers have to accept contactless and max rate is fixed for 2 years.

TfL drives forward £18 million electric vehicle scheme

When are Fastned going to open one o_O? Some on this forum predicted huge Fastned expansion in UK by now :confused:

1 - 20 of 214 Posts