Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After being an EV driver for a while, do we start to become intolerant of noisy combustion engines, or at least hearing them from the outside ?

I had just gone to bed around midnight last night - window open a bit in the loft bedroom on an otherwise quiet night and suddenly a Diesel car arrived and decided to park across the road idling its engine for a long time. Despite being about 30 metres away the noise carried up to the 2nd story bedroom really well and was very annoying and intrusive. There was no way I was going to get to sleep with that noise unless I shut the window, fortunately after about 10 minutes it moved on.

I've never owned a Diesel car before and my current ICE is a V6 petrol so is pretty quiet at idle, but I'm finding myself really objecting to the loud clattery sound of Diesel cars idling nearby. When combustion engines were the only game in town we put up with the noise as a necessary evil but now that we know there are quieter alternatives its hard to give them the same leeway, or at least that's how I feel.

It's also why I'm annoyed at legislators insistence on forcing stupid warning noises onto otherwise fairly quiet EV's. Why get rid of one nuisance noise to replace it with another ?

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 24 Tekna '64 reg
1,387 Posts
Same, I get annoyed when anyone outside is idling their engine.

My family have a Leaf 24 and a Skoda dirty diesel. I switch between them every day. The diesel is just horrible and jarring to drive anywhere that's below 40mph. It's particularly bad in stop/start traffic with the abrupt engine stop/start, not smooth DSG hill start and over sensitive throttle response in low gears.

The most insulting part about the noise-maker legislation is they only specified forward noise. What would be MUCH more useful is to generate some sound when reverse is selected in a car park. Rear visibility is not great in modern cars and reversing out of car parks can be an issue in silent EV's.

·
Registered
370 Posts
That's not an EV driver issue. Annoyed the heck out of me even before i got an EV. Doors slamming shut is another annoyance. As I get older I kind of welcome a little loss in hearing :)

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
468 Posts
We plive in a first floor apartment and below is is a coop. People park and leave their engines running all the time.

Yours A.p.p.a.l.l.e.d

·
Registered
91 Posts
Not got an EV, still drive a big, noisy, smelly diesel, and I hate the sound of ICEs (especially when driven by people with lead boots - there's speed bumps and potholes everywhere, no point in redlining the engine when you can't go faster than 5 mph). If I've left home early or come home late, I'll apologise to the neighbours next time I see them, because the current car could wake the dead, especially on a cold morning. Looking forward to being a bit stealthier when the PHEV* arrives - loved how quiet it was during the test drive

(*sorry it isn't a full EV, I'm a wimp and need my gateway vehicle...)

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
468 Posts
We all know the drug of the past. We keep taking the tablets because it is what we have always done. Almost every EV owner never looks back. There is a mindset change that takes place. You're on the road to that gateway and next time round you won't think twice about a full blown EV, not least of which is vastly reduced running costs and haven't missed never going into a petrol station ever again.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not got an EV, still drive a big, noisy, smelly diesel, and I hate the sound of ICEs (especially when driven by people with lead boots - there's speed bumps and potholes everywhere, no point in redlining the engine when you can't go faster than 5 mph). If I've left home early or come home late, I'll apologise to the neighbours next time I see them, because the current car could wake the dead, especially on a cold morning. Looking forward to being a bit stealthier when the PHEV* arrives - loved how quiet it was during the test drive
Just make sure the car you choose lets you turn the pedestrian warning sound off when you're trying to slip in and out stealthily without waking your neighbour.

While most EV's still have a button to turn it off (until the next time you turn the car on, where it defaults to on) there are a few which don't let you disable it at all! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Just make sure the car you choose lets you turn the pedestrian warning sound off when you're trying to slip in and out stealthily without waking your neighbour.

While most EV's still have a button to turn it off (until the next time you turn the car on, where it defaults to on) there are a few which don't let you disable it at all! :rolleyes:
The one that I test drove had a button to switch the warning sound off. Fingers crossed that they haven't removed it in the last 8 months...

·
Registered
Kona64
1,437 Posts
Sitting at traffic lights in Portsmouth city area, posters saying "Cough cough turn it off" relating to non hybrid ICE vehicles - politely asking them to turn off at traffic lights to reduce pollution.

Fine but it irks me as often next to me is a Park&Ride double-decker, empty, with its 30?yr old engine chuffing away.

If they would only replace those vehicles with some trolleybus EVs , powered by tidal from the very handy harbours either side of the city ..... .

·
Registered
118 Posts
We all know the drug of the past. We keep taking the tablets because it is what we have always done. Almost every EV owner never looks back. There is a mindset change that takes place. You're on the road to that gateway and next time round you won't think twice about a full blown EV, not least of which is vastly reduced running costs and haven't missed never going into a petrol station ever again.
That's it 👍 I am a EV driver since yesterday but I already know that after several decades of driving ICE cars I will not go back.
Regarding the Diesel noise that few people above are complaining we are talking old cars here. Last year I had 2017 Mercedes E350D, big V6 lump in the front and honestly you cannot hear it at all. Fab engine however, this is the past. Now I left that behind and moved to the future 😂

·
Registered
370 Posts
Was sat on a rapid charger today for 30mins and a Builders van pulled up in the bay next to me, left engine running the whole time while they ate breakfast, had to move on in the end as fumes were giving me a headache as well as the incessant rattle from it..
Oh poor you. First world problem.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Was sat on a rapid charger today for 30mins and a Builders van pulled up in the bay next to me, left engine running the whole time while they ate breakfast, had to move on in the end as fumes were giving me a headache as well as the incessant rattle from it..
If it happens again...

·
Registered
189 Posts
Where I used to live, the guy opposite would regularly sit in his BMW or van late at night for quite a long time, with the engine running. No idea why, but it was very annoying given my bedroom was only a few metres away.

I dunno about that. There's one near here with its own Greggs!
What you need is a charging hub with a Gregg's attached.

·
Registered
Zoe GT Line 2020
54 Posts
My 8 year old diesel Honda Civic turns off the engine when I stop at lights or whatever. As does my wife's 70 reg Seat Arona. Don't all modern cars?

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,241 Posts
After being an EV driver for a while, do we start to become intolerant of noisy combustion engines, or at least hearing them from the outside ?

I had just gone to bed around midnight last night - window open a bit in the loft bedroom on an otherwise quiet night and suddenly a Diesel car arrived and decided to park across the road idling its engine for a long time. Despite being about 30 metres away the noise carried up to the 2nd story bedroom really well and was very annoying and intrusive. There was no way I was going to get to sleep with that noise unless I shut the window, fortunately after about 10 minutes it moved on.

I've never owned a Diesel car before and my current ICE is a V6 petrol so is pretty quiet at idle, but I'm finding myself really objecting to the loud clattery sound of Diesel cars idling nearby. When combustion engines were the only game in town we put up with the noise as a necessary evil but now that we know there are quieter alternatives its hard to give them the same leeway, or at least that's how I feel.

It's also why I'm annoyed at legislators insistence on forcing stupid warning noises onto otherwise fairly quiet EV's. Why get rid of one nuisance noise to replace it with another ?
There are laws to stop that, yes, very annoying because everyone ignores them.

Not only charging, try standing in front of a Zoe 50 with the heater or AC on ... I have had much quieter ICE than this.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,241 Posts
My 8 year old diesel Honda Civic turns off the engine when I stop at lights or whatever. As does my wife's 70 reg Seat Arona. Don't all modern cars?
No, and you can turn that feature off if you like.

Whether or not a car has it, it was incumbent on the driver of the car in the OP to turn the car off.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts