Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went on the motorway today for the first time in rain, I was amazed how rubbish and outright dangerous the wipers were. Ok I my have been a bit over the speed limit but not by that much and the wipers especially the drivers side lifted clearing very little water from the screen. If they don’t work at a random figure of say 78 thats just dangerous, all parts of a car should function upto its top speed and even have tolerance built in for way above. I have looked at pictures of other i3s but they look the same, I know mines a relatively new car but I thought for sure something must have fell off to make them this bad. It took me back to cars I owned in the 80’s.
How do the Germans get on at say 100 on an autobahn😳😳😳 It may be classed as a city car but well all know it goes rather well😁
Thsnks

·
Registered
989 Posts
How do the Germans get on at say 100 on an autobahn😳😳😳 It may be classed as a city car but well all know it goes rather well😁
Thsnks
Considering the i3 only has a top speed of 93mph, that's an unanswerable question.
As for duff wipers, I've never had a problem with an i3 in the past.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The S is 99.4 and on a bit of a hill it will hit 110 but the top end wasn’t the problem I had to slow to around 65 to get them to clear screen as I would expect them to. I’ve raced on a track before in many standard cars at 150 in the rain no wiper lift I know these were cars with a top end of 190 in the dry and cost a lot more then the i3 but the i3 is not a cheap car I would expect the Germans to put the utmost into safety as do the other German brands. I’ve only had a couple of BMW’s in the past and both were sports versions a 325i and an M5 their wipers were fine. I remember years ago I had one of the first cars with auto wipers that was fun at speed the system didn’t understand how much rain was on the screen so it turned the wipers OFF😳 in those days I used the motorway a lot so scary I soon sold the car.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As I said I had to do 65 to make them work as they should that 5 mph under motorway speed that definitely a design fault. I do like the car but for 42k these kind of things should not be happening. I suppose the answer is swap it out for a Porsche taycan the reviews are fantastic shame it so expensive.

·
Registered
989 Posts
What?
Buy a Taycan, so you can break the law?
😆
It's not a problem I've been aware of anywhere else. Take it to a dealer and see if they have a remedy would be the sensible thing to do.

To hell with the Taycan, I'm considering a Jaguar F-Type SVR as a weekend toy. £60k of lunacy!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are lots of new suv ev’s coming out this year I’m trying to get my wife interested in one. Not sure about the Jag it’s a nice car but my wife used to have a Range Rover and in the two and a half years from new we had it I never paid the repair because it was in warranty but it had 10.5k’s worth of work and Range Rover and Jag are out of the same stable but what I say is if you like some thing then just do it you can always sell it you only live once😁

·
Registered
989 Posts
Hmmm....
JLR and their infamous reliability issues.
I'm well aware of their reputation, but I too have had several, including an I-Pace and never had a single issue.
As for the SVR, you're right, you only live once. They'll be likely banned in 5 years so if I'm going to do it, might as well be now.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Go tomorrow and do the deal you know you want to I seem to have done that so many times before, cars bikes and so on.
Enjoy life to the max.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208 / '22 ID.3 Family
3,777 Posts
Strange — I drove for a solid 3 hours from Germany through Belgium to catch a Eurotunnel last summer in torrential rain, and was travelling at 75-80 for much of it, and didn’t notice any issues with the wipers. The crosswinds were interesting though.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I have looked at pictures of other i3s but they look the same
Don't suppose you can link to the pictures? I've never noticed it before, so wondering if it's a fault with a select few cars, or something i have seen but never considered an issues

·
The best there is at what I do
10,935 Posts
I rarely use the wipers when travelling at speed, I find the wind just blows the rain off, I do use rainex, still on the original wiper blades after 6 years.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
These are mine I just looked at stock photos on the net to compare them. I think I’ll get it booked in for the dealer to have a look.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
743 Posts
Lots of cars suffer from things like this. Retro fitting lupo wipers to Corrados is a thing. It doesn't really work, not completely, it just makes you feel better.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Had my i3 for 4 years and 55,000 miles and I (used to!) travel to London frequently from South Wales- often in torrential rain and high winds and the cruise set to 68mph, and I have never noticed a problem with the windscreen wipers which have always cleaned the screen well. Have changed them recently with equivalent Bosch ones and still function normally.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts