Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Kona64
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Plug car in at 7pm to see if PodPoint have fixed yet the 6.6 only kW issue I am having (No, they haven't)
At 7:30pm press stop on the remote on the Bluelink app --- check via another smart device that indeed the car has stopped charging.
Car now ready for me to retest at some point on Tuesday or Wednesday, I am not expect to have to go anywhere.

Get up this morning and on turning phone fully on I get a "charge completed " blue link message and my domestic electricity usage for the month has gone up by a massive unexpected 49kw.
Yep, sometime between 7:30pm and 6:30am it spent 8 or so hours self charging right up to 100%.

The game plan had been that the 32% s o c. was fine for the half term probably lockdown jiddering around and I would not need to spend on electrons until into November.

I swear there are Trolls in my garden shed who nip out and muck about with the charge point + car overnight.
As the minimum maximum charge level is 50% (you'll know what I mean) I didn't bother setting it, I thought the app manual stop charging would do its stuff. Lesson Learnt, teeshirt ordered.

Now in order to see today / tomorrow if pod point have fixed the solo unit, I need to drop the s o c to below 90 I guess ??---- does anyone know of a AC charging graph for the Kona ? DC yes, seen lots of those thanks to kind forum folk here but I don't recall an 11 or 7kw AC one. I'd like to know at what s o c the AC charger starts tapering down.

10% of a full Kona64 battery is a lot of pointless miles. Whisker over 30 given my GOM and straight maths. Sigh.

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
510 Posts
When I wake through the night to go to the loo I find myself checking battery status. So far everything is fine. But with new technologies keeping an extra eye on things makes sense. The ohme charger seems to go into rotating traffic light mode once connected even if not actually charging. Whereas i would like it to do that for, say just the first minute, and then only restart it's traffic light stuff during actual charging.

·
Registered
266 Posts
When I wake through the night to go to the loo I find myself checking battery status. So far everything is fine. But with new technologies keeping an extra eye on things makes sense. The ohme charger seems to go into rotating traffic light mode once connected even if not actually charging. Whereas i would like it to do that for, say just the first minute, and then only restart it's traffic light stuff during actual charging.
Your loo is battery operated? :oops:

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Hi @gladini .
At least you have some control over the percentage of charge you give to he Kona.
The ZS EV has non of that fancy stuff !.
I am not moaning because I knew this before I bought it.
I have to apply a bit of old school guess work and try and figure how long in time to set the delayed charging App on my phone ( via a Sonoff device ) and what the HV battery presently has stored.
It’s a bit of a “Crap Shoot” type game !.
One hour on the wall box returns roughly about 25 miles ish of range put back into the battery.
None of this is important if I am allowed to use my car the next day by the government that is !.
I rarely charge to the Max unless I have a planned journey ( what is that these days ).
For local stuff I am to second guess a charge that will finish when the pack is around the 80 to 90% mark ?.
I have become pretty good at judging how long to charge over night to hit that sweet spot if I am not intending to make a long trip the following morning.
I must admit I did get it slightly wrong last night, I charged a bit too long and hit about 90% soc.
Never mind, I will soon bring this down to level I am happy with when I collect my grand children from school later.
Yeah - of course the system in the ZS EV could be better, but it like a few things in life, you find a way to work around it.
First world problems I guess when you consider what the world is going through right now.
Every car has its strange and quirky habits to contend with.
Remember, the perfect car has not been built yet !.
And probably never will.
Good luck and stay safe.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,876 Posts
@gladini I had the opposite problem: drive to the local Tesco, with free Podpoints, plugin, smug as a.. well, f4ck, car is not charging. Changed socket, still nothing. Not paying attention to the angry beeping phone... 10 min of head scratching and a timely look at my phone, I find a number of notifications from UVO: "Charge complete as specified".

And then it clicks, I did set a 50% charging limit a while back. Another check and a click, and I'm back to smug. 🆒 :cool:

·
Registered
377 Posts
@gladini I had the opposite problem: drive to the local Tesco, with free Podpoints, plugin, smug as a.. well, f4ck, car is not charging. Changed socket, still nothing. Not paying attention to the angry beeping phone... 10 min of head scratching and a timely look at my phone, I find a number of notifications from UVO: "Charge complete as specified".

And then it clicks, I did set a 50% charging limit a while back. Another check and a click, and I'm back to smug. 🆒 :cool:
Similar thing with me when I forgot it was still on scheduled charge. Doh!

·
Registered
Kona64
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anyone reckon AC charging does taper off above 90% s o c ?

Just wondering at what level the car will drop down from 7kw drinking.

·
Registered
Kona64
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi @gladini .
/
First world problems I guess when you consider what the world is going through right now.

Every car has its strange and quirky habits to contend with.
Remember, the perfect car has not been built yet !.
And probably never will.
Good luck and stay safe.
/
Sound words!

Reactions: Carty

·
Registered
377 Posts

Thinking about the graph of consumption on my Powervault, I can't remember seeing it taper off. It charges at around 6.6 kW until it reaches 100% and then just stops. I'll look more closely next time I do a cell balancing charge.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Thinking about the graph of consumption on my Powervault, I can't remember seeing it taper off. It charges at around 6.6 kW until it reaches 100% and then just stops. I'll look more closely next time I do a cell balancing charge.
Why only at 6.6kw when the Kona onboard charger is rated at 7.2 kw?

·
Registered
4,938 Posts

I don't think it does. When I charge to 100% it's always finished at the time it should be without tapering.
And 7kW is only about 0.1C charge rate which almost any type of battery can handle easily, so what would be the point?

·
Registered
2020 Kona EV, Red, 64kWh Premium SE (10.5kW OBC)
44 Posts
I've only charged my MY2020 to 100% once so far, and I only have a single-phase (7kW nominal) home charger, however looking at the logs from that charge on my Zappi, the last half-hour or so slowly dropped to around 6kW.

·
Registered
Hyundai Kona EV 64kw Premium SE
67 Posts
Similar thing with me when I forgot it was still on scheduled charge. Doh!
I only just realised you could press the little button next to the charge port to over-ride it. I used to get my app out, and swear - or fumble round the console trying to remember how to change it lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts