Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Kia e Niro 2020
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning all

I am looking to get a dash cam for my new car, however I am no good with wiring, unless following detailed instructions. Also, it's a company car so don't want to mess it up!

Can anyone recommend a dash cam that either runs off the USB or somewhere that would fit a cam for a reasonable price?

Many thanks in advance

James

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208 / '22 ID.3 Family
3,756 Posts
Hi James - this is a good website for dashcam reviews:

I had a 70mai camera in my previous car that I just plugged into a 12V socket and then ran the cable around the window. It came with an electrostatic sticker that you stick to the window first, and then stick the camera to the sticker - that ensures it’s very easily removed.

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
1,157 Posts
There are plenty of dashcams that can simply operate from the 12V 'cigar' style power outlet on the left of dash console. It’s easy to route the wire neatly around and up under trim etc. I have my garmin one installed that way. Another benefit is that you totally know it’s not sucking any power from your 12V battery when car is off. I’m not particularly recommending Garmin, it’s ok but I suspect there are much better ones around. Peter

Reactions: mobily_uk

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4+ Yacht Blue. Jan 2021
163 Posts
It is very easy to install cabling.
I've installed a NextBase 322GW dashcam on the front windscreen and another camera on a rear window (cabled directly to the 322GW).

It's best to use a proper plastic tool to push the cable under the edge of the headlining (my dashcam came with one) along the top of the windscreen. Then between the top of the A pillar and the headlining. Then open the drivers door, pull the rubber seal out, and run the cable into the gap. (and then put the rubber back).
You can then run the cable under the edge of the trim to the side of the fusebox.
If you're using a 12v lighter socket connector, then run under the trim where the drivers knees are (go over the steering wheel - there's plenty of room there). It's just a case of lifting an edge to any trim and puhing the cable it.
It's actually easier to hardwire a dashcam in, as you only have to go as far as the fusebox. Kits are available for many (Nextbase do a very good one)

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
1,122 Posts
I got the Nextbast 522GW I think - and like you I was terrified of fitting it, until I just decided to give it a go.

Really is so easy - even fitting the hard wire kit to the interior fuse box - the kit tells you how.

Although I have a Nissan Leaf its all the same technique of pushing a little wire into the gaps in the plastic panel then securing and loose one under the footwells with tape on the way to the board.

Looks really professional and I was pleased I did not take it for a 17 year old to rush at Halfords, I took care and did a safe, neat job.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I don't have pictures of putting the dashcam in, but here's a few of putting a rear-screen camera it. You can see how easy pushing into the headlining is:

Boot trim just pulls off (I do have a proper set of trim removal tools, but they weren't really needed)
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Trunk

Rear camera sticks to screen, and cable feeds through rubber gator.
Car Grille Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Motor vehicle

Cable just pushes between trim and headlining
Car Automotive side-view mirror Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle

Pull door trim away, and feed cable round.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
1,122 Posts
I don't have pictures of putting the dashcam in, but here's a few of putting a rear-screen camera it. You can see how easy pushing into the headlining is:

Boot trim just pulls off (I do have a proper set of trim removal tools, but they weren't really needed)
View attachment 140759

Rear camera sticks to screen, and cable feeds through rubber gator.
View attachment 140760

Cable just pushes between trim and headlining
View attachment 140761

Pull door trim away, and feed cable round.
View attachment 140762
Identical to what I did!

One tip is washing up liquid or talc to get the wire through the rubber loom covers between the body and boot door.

·
Registered
Kia e-niro 4
59 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with the Kia dashcam (which looks ludicrously expensive)? They don't appear to do the "front and rear" model anymore (DP948ADU382 - was £365!) but they now do a Philips one (DP948ADU610 - £140).

It's a shame that Kia didn't just build dashcam functionality into the front and rear cameras already present!

·
Registered
450 Posts
For the cable to the rear you can also use a piece of rigid plastic, say the lid from a section of plastic trunking to fish the wire though the roof liner

Sent using Tapatalk (I'm on my phone so sorry for any auto correct screwups)

·
Registered
513 Posts
Well this thread has just done for me today.

I've used Thinkware and Blackvue Dual camera set ups in my previous cars.

Last Christmas I bought a Nextbase dual cam pairing for my wife's new car from Halfords, trouble was, try as they might they couldn't fit it, power connection issues, so I got a refund.

So clicking on the link in Post 2 eventually led me back to an e-mail offer from Blackvue, ended up ordering a dual cam and installation with 10% off, still just shy of £500, but I know they are good.

·
Registered
E-Niro 4+ Yacht blue MY21
30 Posts
Looking at the this thread I need to go get me the hard wire kit for my 322GW , I won’t let Halfords near my push bike let alone a car !! I have the wonderful trim tool from next base and sure I have some others in the garage, any tips for the rear camera installation also which fuse tap for keeping it on parking mode or is the in built battery good enough for for parking mode ? Ok scratch that I no will just use an ignition on fuse as the internal battery on the camera lasts over a week 👍

·
Registered
Kia e-niro 4
59 Posts
I ended up going for the Halfords one (HDC400) in the end, and I took the gamble in letting them fit it! 😲

The team in the Keighley branch did an amazing job. Speaking to one of the fitters there he said they're technically not allowed to fit them in EVs, but he explained that the reason for that is Teslas having a weird 12V system so he doesn't mind fitting them in regular EVs. I genuinely don't know where he's put the wires, as you can't see them in the car at all and the trim still looks spotless. The camera on the rear windscreen must have a wire going to it somewhere but he must have found a way to tuck it in with the lights / heating wires because it's not visible even with the boot open.

There must have been a bug on their website as well, because I got the full front and rear dashcam, 32gb card, hard wire kit, carry case and fitting for £99

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
1,122 Posts
I will check which fuse Im using - one tip is not to use the rear wiper as I think my wireless charger is hard wired into this and is always on.

Your limited in the original leaf due to space in the fusebox - but I also have massive hands!!!!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Looking at the this thread I need to go get me the hard wire kit for my 322GW , I won’t let Halfords near my push bike let alone a car !! I have the wonderful trim tool from next base and sure I have some others in the garage, any tips for the rear camera installation also which fuse tap for keeping it on parking mode or is the in built battery good enough for for parking mode ? Ok scratch that I no will just use an ignition on fuse as the internal battery on the camera lasts over a week 👍
See post #7 for pictures of putting the rear camera in. Mine is also the 322GW.
It's actually pretty easy to run the rear camera cabling to the front. There's enough flexibility between the headlining and the plastic trim to just push the cable through. You will end up with a lot of excess cable. I started at the back, worked through to the front, and then worked backwards again to ensure all the excess cable is at the rear. Sounds like a faff, but it isn't.
I used an ignition only fuse.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Here is the link to the install I did

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts