Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question for any 'techie' types on here.
With the growing amount of idiots on the road these days I've taken the decision to install a couple of dashcams in my wife's two month old Zoe. I'm looking to hardwire these through the fusebox but the owners manual is mediocre at best in describing which fuse does what.

Anyone have access to a service manual or a diagram pinpointing which fuse is for what? I seem to have more fuses than pictured in the manual.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Why are you so keen to wire it in to the fuses?
Not a criticism just wondering.
Just this week I have fitted a couple of dashcams to my Leaf and Clio.
Just used the supplied 12v power connector. Although I do have to change my Renault every six months so reluctant to go to the trouble of hard wiring it.
Really pleased with the price, the quality of the recording and quality of my installation.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Electrician, what dash cam did you use in both cars and does it cover both front and back, having had my car rear ended when I was parked at work kinda paranoid, but I was lucky as the car park for the station is also a service/delivery yard for local argos store and luckily they're cctv captured the British heart foundation delivery van shunt my car out of the way, but could have been so different, so want front and back to be covered and for it to be recording all the time also, so I would also need to hard wire it in as 12v socket doesn't stay live when car turned off, any suggestions

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why are you so keen to wire it in to the fuses?
Not a criticism just wondering.
Just this week I have fitted a couple of dashcams to my Leaf and Clio.
Just used the supplied 12v power connector. Although I do have to change my Renault every six months so reluctant to go to the trouble of hard wiring it.
Really pleased with the price, the quality of the recording and quality of my installation.
Two reasons.... (1) I have two cameras and only one 12v port... (2) I despise loose cables trailing all over the car particularly from front to back.

Additionally, the cameras will be wired up via a "power magic" unit which allows them to run for a period well after the car is switched off (for those car park incidents). Hard wiring also allows for flexibility for keeping the 12v port free for other temporary accessories like phone chargers etc....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Electrician, what dash cam did you use in both cars and does it cover both front and back, having had my car rear ended when I was parked at work kinda paranoid, but I was lucky as the car park for the station is also a service/delivery yard for local argos store and luckily they're cctv captured the British heart foundation delivery van shunt my car out of the way, but could have been so different, so want front and back to be covered and for it to be recording all the time also, so I would also need to hard wire it in as 12v socket doesn't stay live when car turned off, any suggestions
I've done a fair bit of reading and I ended up picking up a Mini 0806 for the front and Mobius 808 for the rear. Both highly recommended on various forums.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
I am afraid it was only front facing. Very neat looking though. I can see the thought behind it being constantly on.
Wish I had one when a bin lorry went down the side of my Leaf when it was three weeks old. I wasn't as fortunate as yourself.
My only concern over continuous power is the fragility of the 12v accessory battery in an EV although it is such a low power draw I am sure that is unfounded.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
I've done a fair bit of reading and I ended up picking up a Mini 0806 for the front and Mobius 808 for the rear. Both highly recommended on various forums.
I guess the Mobius is not so critical.
I can honestly forsee myself upgrading in the near future. I always seem reason that I have never had "a thing" before so not worth spending loads of cash, then find the limitations frustrating so upgrade.
I will never learn although fortunately seem to mostly pass the originals on for decent money.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Not really relevant to the Zoe but here are a couple of pics of my cam in the Leaf. Should really take pics in the Clio as i think that would be a closer match.
20160122_164833.jpg 20160122_164850.jpg 20160122_165011.jpg 20160122_165004.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
2,915 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hello Electrician, thanks for posting your pictures. (y) I really like the idea of fitting a dashcam and being able to hide the lead as you have done. Might you able able to post more photos and hints as to how exactly you tucked away the lead from the headlining downwards please?

·
Registered
2,197 Posts

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
@David Harvey not much else to picture really. Inside the headlining tucks in easily. Across the plastic trim on the A pillar just a little tuck in (i will probably do more on this as its the only exposed part). Then just fold the rubber seal back and tuck it in until you get to the bottom of the dash. Then used the supplied self adhesive clips to take it across under the dash above the pedals. Tucked any excess behind the bulkhead before bringing the plug forward and in the 12v socket.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Please be aware of the curtain airbag when routing in the headlining above the doors.

Best to tuck the cable in under the headlining and then pull it twards the middle of the car so that it doesnt interfere.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,373 Posts
It does have side airbags...which shouldn't deploy in a head on I think.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
1 - 20 of 36 Posts