Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone add the Nextbase Hardwired Front & Rear Dash Cam option from Kia for the Soul EV? Is it worth £365?

If not, what are the alternatives?

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,643 Posts
I did not know they had one, or might have taken it. Where did you find it?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did not know they had one, or might have taken it. Where did you find it?
Via the online build my kia. Maybe it can still be done as a retrofit.

My old camera was powered with a 12v plug so if it can be hardwired somehow, that would be preferable for me.

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Soul EV 2020
24 Posts
Both cameras are in the accessories - so appears to be retro-fittable:

However when I put in my vehicle details to 'purchase online' it says that there are no accessories for a Soul EV 2020!
(I wasn't planning to buy it immediately - I'd checked this whilst waiting for vehicle.)

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul EV
31 Posts
I've fitted a Garmin 56 dashcam, which fits snugly behind the mirror without obscuring the ambient light sensor, and piggybacked it into the fuse box using a couple of the spare fuse positions.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
216 Posts
I removed my 2 dash cams from my previous car for transfer to the Soul. When I became aware that Halfords have stopped their fitters installing in EVs because one of them bricked a car, I asked my dealer about it and they agreed to fit them as part of the PDI work before I collected.

I had to buy a couple of new hard wiring kits (from Halfords, ironically) and take them and the cams through to the dealer in advance of the delivery and they dealt with it. They charged me 100 quid for the labour, which is a bit steep compared to what Halfords would have charged but they did a tidy job and saved me the hassle of searching for somewhere else willing and competent to do it.

·
Registered
Vauxhall Ampera, 2012 Electron
133 Posts
The Kia unit is a Nextbase 380GW (front and back), or just front

Its a couple of years old, no polarising filter but is (from memory) HD in the front, can't remember the back (I THINK its HD in the rear as well)

Sean

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I'm still amazed that these are not completely standard or at least factory fit at a reasonable price across all ranges.
You'd like to think that manufacturers learned a thing or two from the explosion in sat nav usage over the last 20 years wouldn't you.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
216 Posts
I'm still amazed that these are not completely standard or at least factory fit at a reasonable price across all ranges.
You'd like to think that manufacturers learned a thing or two from the explosion in sat nav usage over the last 20 years wouldn't you.
I quite like Skoda's approach of fitting a USB port in the mounting for the rear view mirror, so it is a simple task of sticking a dash cam to the windscreen and plugging it in.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Has anyone got a picture of their rear dash cam wiring? I'm considering doing it myself, but when I open the rear boot, the gap is rather large between the headliner to the rear window.

Unless the wiring is done nicely (through the rubber tubing which seems to need removing a few panels), the wire would dangle quite a bit to allow the opening of the boot door.

Also has anyone got experience with the Viofo A129 dashcams? Seems much better specs than the Kia Nextbase option.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
216 Posts
Has anyone got a picture of their rear dash cam wiring? I'm considering doing it myself, but when I open the rear boot, the gap is rather large between the headliner to the rear window.

Unless the wiring is done nicely (through the rubber tubing which seems to need removing a few panels), the wire would dangle quite a bit to allow the opening of the boot door.

Also has anyone got experience with the Viofo A129 dashcams? Seems much better specs than the Kia Nextbase option.

You are right, it is quite a big gap, but although the wire appears long when the boot is open, it is neatly indiscrete - first time I actually noticed it was when I opened the boot to take these pictures.
When the boot is closed, it is all nice and neat.

See images below

20201003_123540.jpg

20201003_123637.jpg

20201003_123708.jpg

20201003_123525.jpg

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks DSLRed. It's interesting you routed the wire up from the seal - doesn't that risk some water ingress from the top? Good idea to put your camera to the side. I've stuck my rear camera in the top middle of the window and not sure how distracting it will be when looking through the rear view mirror.

Another question for those that hardwired their dashcam to utilise parking mode, which switched 12v and which constant 12v fuses did you choose to tap into? Presume they are micro2 size fuses too?

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul EV
31 Posts
Thanks DSLRed. It's interesting you routed the wire up from the seal - doesn't that risk some water ingress from the top? Good idea to put your camera to the side. I've stuck my rear camera in the top middle of the window and not sure how distracting it will be when looking through the rear view mirror.

Another question for those that hardwired their dashcam to utilise parking mode, which switched 12v and which constant 12v fuses did you choose to tap into? Presume they are micro2 size fuses too?

I used a couple of the spare fuses - column 1 / row 1 as permanent live, and column 5 / row 2 as switched live (counting from the top left). There are several other alternative spare fuses, but it's pretty tight in there and these seemed the easiest to use. Be prepared to file the plastic surround on the piggyback connector a little to fit, dependent on its design. And yes, fuse size is micro2.

Be careful not to take the cable across the top of the A-pillar as that will be in the way of the airbag deployment. You can take it down the windscreen side of the pillar, behind the metal frame that holds the airbags, and finally down into the fusebox area. There's a handy nearby earthing point there too.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
just to be clear - I didn't do anything - I can just about wire a plug. Anything else, I use that well worn method - pay someone else :ROFLMAO:
I've just called Kia and they are happy to hardwire my Viofo dash cam. It will be max 1hr labour but could be cheaper so hopefully £115 or lower.

I used a couple of the spare fuses - column 1 / row 1 as permanent live, and column 5 / row 2 as switched live (counting from the top left). There are several other alternative spare fuses, but it's pretty tight in there and these seemed the easiest to use. Be prepared to file the plastic surround on the piggyback connector a little to fit, dependent on its design. And yes, fuse size is micro2.

Be careful not to take the cable across the top of the A-pillar as that will be in the way of the airbag deployment. You can take it down the windscreen side of the pillar, behind the metal frame that holds the airbags, and finally down into the fusebox area. There's a handy nearby earthing point there too.
Thanks biogoo - sounds simple enough and I'm sure I can do it myself after watching loads of YouTube videos. The warranty issue though means any car electronics that the camera fuse is piggybacking off will not be covered by warranty if its found to be due to bad wiring/camera failure. So for me - going to Kia is probably the safest option. I'll take a picture of the fuses after its back so if others want to see how Kia connected it up, it might help.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul EV
31 Posts
The warranty issue though means any car electronics that the camera fuse is piggybacking off will not be covered by warranty if its found to be due to bad wiring/camera failure.
Well, hopefully that's moot given the use of the spare fuse positions rather than any in-use car circuit. Short (boom, boom!) of it taking out the entire electrics of course....

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
FWIW I have a Thinkware F770-2CH Front & Rear Dash Cam
Seems to work OK.
Fitted professionally (aka not by me, or by KIA since at the time they wouldnt wire it into the fuse box they wanted to do it via the cigarette lighter)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I got my Nextbase (front only) wired in as my only freebie when I bought my car in July. At least they made avery good job of it, wired into the fusebox.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I got my Nextbase (front only) wired in as my only freebie when I bought my car in July. At least they made avery good job of it, wired into the fusebox.
Please could you tell us what fuse did they piggyback the camera into

1 - 20 of 24 Posts