Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
That's not a vent (invoke Death Star reference) it's part of the interior alarm system. If you block it, the car alarm won't detect someone breaking the window and climbing inside, so do so at your own risk.

(Clever system - it sends periodic ultrasonic pulses through the cabin, and detects the change. My car has two - looks like VW has changed the design to only have one nowadays.)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi all,

Love the Forum, it's helped me out a lot.

I just fitted a Blackvue Dash Cam and thought I'd share my initial findings.

The so called "Vent" is just that (pretty sure).

The alarm systems sensors (3) are further back in the roof console. see manual pic.

I've found a neat way of hiding unit and cables. see pics

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice work Jim and very neat indeed. So you really do think that they are just vents?

Not fitted mine yet as a chip repair has gone very wrong and I am complaining to national windscreens about it. No point in fitting the dash cam if I end up with a new windscreen.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I really think they are vents, I have watched many videos of Dashcam installs on Golf 7/7.5's

Some videos dismantle the plastic housing behind rearview mirror to hide cables and it looks as if it's an empty area. Maybe for the Road sign recognition system (camera) available as an option. But it's defiantly not part of the alarm wouldn't make sense in its position and the manual only show the other location for the internal alarm sensors.

I have yet to route cables through the headliner and down the A-Pillar to fuse box. I want to expose the top of A-Pillar and hopefully feed cables behind airbags (I've seen it done on youtube). Although many USA Professional installers feed it into the gaps over the airbags and say it doesn't effect airbag deployment. I's feel better if it was behind.

I'll keep you updated but might be a fews days before I get back to it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HI Jim
Very helpful and let me know how you get on. I actually have the roadsign camera, and dynamic headlight option so there is a camera up there somewhere but not 100% where it is. The photos at the start of the thread are my car so it looks like the camera is not behind the vents

·
Registered
12 Posts
Finished fitting Dashcam, no photos I'm afraid.

Only issue was getting cables behind airbag in a-pillar, I tried popping off top of a-pillar but felt I was going to snap it and then decided to pull the top of it away and wedge some spacers in. Then from the door rubber side could see Airbag and cables. I very simply used a cable tie to push behind airbag and cables and came out at the windscreen. Feeding cables down to fuse box and back to boot lid very simple. Covers on boot lid just removed easily with fingers.Then used very heavy cable to feed cable through rubber between car and boot lid.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll be sure to be careful where the airbags are!

I am having a new windscreen today on mine as they have made a pigs ear out of repairing a chip. It has had to go to Chester for this to be done because they will need to realign the camera on the screen. I have asked them about the vents from the original question above so I will see what they say about them when I pick it up later on .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.