Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our new Mii only lights the dash and controls inside with headlights on, but they don't illuminate with sidelights on - does anyone else have this behaviour?

It does say in the manual the dash should light with sidelights and headlights - which is what I would expect!

·
Registered
KIA Soul EV 64kWh
267 Posts
Dash illuminates with H/lights AND S/lights on.
S/lights only is parking mode so no need for dash to be illuminated.
That's what I'd expect.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you sure about that - don't you ever drive with just sidelights on? I am pretty sure all the cars I've owned (except Fiat 500 which doesn't have sidelights) had dash lights coming on with sidelights only - my Audi A6 certainly does.

·
Registered
KIA Soul EV 64kWh
267 Posts
Are you sure about that - don't you ever drive with just sidelights on? I am pretty sure all the cars I've owned (except Fiat 500 which doesn't have sidelights) had dash lights coming on with sidelights only - my Audi A6 certainly does.
I think all my cars in the last 12-ish years have had auto headlamps, so never driven with sidelights only!
Dash (LCD screen) lights up only when car powered up whereas sidelights work with car powered down.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
2,331 Posts
I drove ICE VW Ups for 7 years, and learned that when you can't see the dash it's dark enough to want the headlights on.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all replies but rather than comment on driving habits I would just simply like Up/Mii/Citigo owners to check if their dash lights come on with the sidelights only - disregarding auto headlamps and parking modes (which generally on VAG group vehicles, inc Mii, is done via the indicator stalk). Many thanks.

·
Registered
Kona64
1,526 Posts
They are PARKING lights for use at the SIDE of the road.
Over the years language use has morphed them from one to the other.
Granted if you are parked for a while at the side of the road on Family Taxi duties etc you may find have the dash / controls lit up useful, might be those go off when car locked but the external parking lights stay on, so be aware you may get 2 answers to your question depending on ignition/door lock status.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They are PARKING lights for use at the SIDE of the road.
Over the years language use has morphed them from one to the other.
Granted if you are parked for a while at the side of the road on Family Taxi duties etc you may find have the dash / controls lit up useful, might be those go off when car locked but the external parking lights stay on, so be aware you may get 2 answers to your question depending on ignition/door lock status.
I'm sorry to totally disagree but if you read the Highway Code there is a difference between sidelights and parking lights which is clearly explained, and as I have written previously the question is not about other peoples usage of these lights but what the car actually does!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts