Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Leaf 40
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had an annoying dash rattle/squeak since not long after delivery. When it went in to have a rear seatbelt replaced I asked them to look at it, they claimed they had but of course it was still there on the drive home.

Going to book it in again and see if they can fix it. Hate problems like this, as I'm sure do the dealers. Must be difficult to trace and fix but that's not my problem.

The rattle appears to be coming from the passenger side in the vicinity of the air vent and all the more annoying as the car is so quiet!

·
Registered
8,075 Posts
Like the old saying about the loudest thing in an old Rolls-Royce being the ticking of the dashboard clock.

I wonder if any owners took their Rollers in to fix this annoyance..?

·
Registered
279 Posts
I found that it was the glovebox lid in mine that was making the noise. Try putting a cloth on the lid and closing the glovebox and see if that helps.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Our (2014) Leaf has a rattle/squeak/plastic-abrasion noise somewhere in the roof that we've not been able to track down but it is maddening. But one of those problems that isn't bad enough to trek back to the dealer - and really, what would they do on that alone? Probably tell us we can only hear it because the car is too quiet in the first place :)

That said, we were pondering recently how, compared to our original 2011 Leaf, this later build model has a lot more of those tiny annoying creaks and noises. Jury is out on why that might be!

·
Registered
Leaf 40
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found that it was the glovebox lid in mine that was making the noise. Try putting a cloth on the lid and closing the glovebox and see if that helps.
I wish it were that simple, the squeak is still evident with the glovebox wide open and empty :(
That said, we were pondering recently how, compared to our original 2011 Leaf, this later build model has a lot more of those tiny annoying creaks and noises. Jury is out on why that might be!
I've seen a few posts mention poorer build quality of the Gen 2's. I'm happy with mine in every respect other than this rattle, you know what it's like, once you notice it it quickly becomes ALL you can hear!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've seen a few posts mention poorer build quality of the Gen 2's. I'm happy with mine in every respect other than this rattle, you know what it's like, once you notice it it quickly becomes ALL you can hear!
Oh yes, when you can't find or stop it, it can drive you to distraction.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Tell me about it!

Again, a passenger side squeak/rattle developed for me about 2 days after taking delivery.

For some reason it's usually when the temperature is under 5 degrees :(

·
Registered
8,075 Posts
Tell me about it!

Again, a passenger side squeak/rattle developed for me about 2 days after taking delivery.

For some reason it's usually when the temperature is under 5 degrees :(
Clearly then it's caused by two components, normally in close contact, contracting enough to be able to rub and jostle against each other.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Our (2014) Leaf has a rattle/squeak/plastic-abrasion noise somewhere in the roof that we've not been able to track down but it is maddening. But one of those problems that isn't bad enough to trek back to the dealer - and really, what would they do on that alone? Probably tell us we can only hear it because the car is too quiet in the first place :)

Maybe the Japanese are better at building cars?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Had an annoying dash rattle/squeak since not long after delivery. When it went in to have a rear seatbelt replaced I asked them to look at it, they claimed they had but of course it was still there on the drive home.

Going to book it in again and see if they can fix it. Hate problems like this, as I'm sure do the dealers. Must be difficult to trace and fix but that's not my problem.

The rattle appears to be coming from the passenger side in the vicinity of the air vent and all the more annoying as the car is so quiet!

What about the sunglass compartment?

·
Registered
Leaf 40
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's coming from the passenger side air vent area as best I can trace it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Did anyone ever get a fix for this? I have the exact same passenger air vent rattle and it's driving me bananas! I drive for 2hrs a day and can't listen to it any longer.
Car is still under warranty, so I presume the dealer would have to investigate it for me?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts