Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My LEAF is built and ready for delivery.

In the process of sorting out insurance etc.

I'd like to install a Dashcam (have been thinking about these for a while) but there a lot of different models out there!

Does anyone have any recommendations? Any units that fit particularly well in a LEAF?

Many thanks

Matthew

·
Registered
216 Posts
The expert on dashcams has to be Techmoan. His list of the best dashcams can be found here.

I have a mobius camera, but I haven't got around to fitting it to the Leaf yet. I think I'm going to strap it to the arm of the rear view mirror, discreet and hard to spot. The only thing I need is a small 12v - 5v transformer that will fit in the fuse area, rather than use the USB port or 12v socket.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Yes Mobius camera is very hard to beat, great quality and very small and discreet, techmoans videos are great, you can pick a mobius up on ebay for about 40 quid from HK direct, also get the suction mount as well.

Search youtube for the quality you can expect from the cam.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks both - I'd come across that site a while back, but had forgotten about it!

Thinking of a camera for both the front and back. Does the LEAF have a suitable rear power point?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Things have moved on apace. I use the RoadHawk HD in mine, and have it recording everything in superb clarity. You can check it out on the DogCam website. Worth every penny.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I just happened to have a GoPro so I got a mount for behind the rear view mirror and use it there. Pretty good and useful in other situations too! It's produced some very interesting footage on more than a few occasions now...

·
Registered
216 Posts
Does the LEAF have a suitable rear power point?
There isn't a dedicated 12V socket at the rear of the Leaf. Annoyingly with all the 'things' that need charging these days, the only one is in the front centre console. There is also the USB input (also in the front), which does provide a limited 5V power supply. But I think it's only rated for 500mA, it just about slows down the drain of mobile wifi and GPS running on my Nexus 5, so it's rarely used by me.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
See https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/ for loads of useful advice. My personal recommendation would be a Mini 0801 ... small (thus discrete), good images, and lots of functionality at that price point. One decision worth considering is whether to have the GPS option or not. If you were (say) 5mph over the posted limit and had an accident that wasn't otherwise your fault, it could incriminate you.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I've had a Blackvue in my Ampera for a while. Seems to do the job very well. It's one of this things which once installed and tested, can be pretty much forgotten about until it's needed.

The model I have had gps and wifi. You can download android or iOS apps to communicate with the device.

There's a useful forum here. https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/

Geoff

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Advantage of the mobius over all the others mentioned is its cheap but produces high quality footage, I dont want to keep taking the thing out of the car all the time.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Yes mobius does video looping, the other cameras mentioned are also good dash cams but the Mobius is super cheap if you get it from HK on Ebay, the Mobius price has crept up a little lately (maybe as they are so good value) but you can get one from the UK now for less than 60 quid, I tried lots at least 6 different cheap cams before I settled on the Mobius.

·
Registered
216 Posts
@knoxie Have you wired your Mobius in permanently?

@Darren Griffin Did you need a transformer for your Blackvue or is it 12V? Could you share a picture of your wiring into the fuse box? Do you think there is space for a piggyback fuse and a 12V to 5V transformer in there?

·
Registered
991 Posts
@Darren Griffin Did you need a transformer for your Blackvue or is it 12V? Could you share a picture of your wiring into the fuse box? Do you think there is space for a piggyback fuse and a 12V to 5V transformer in there?
No, BlackVue is 12v. I used a piggyback fuse adapter in the fusebox. It's quite tight in there but I think you'd have enough room for a transformer.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Yes mobius does video looping, the other cameras mentioned are also good dash cams but the Mobius is super cheap if you get it from HK on Ebay, the Mobius price has crept up a little lately (maybe as they are so good value) but you can get one from the UK now for less than 60 quid, I tried lots at least 6 different cheap cams before I settled on the Mobius.
I hope so - just ordered one for £66 for the wide angle "car pack" version (stocked in the UK at JooVuu.com) - at that price its worth a punt.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a nextbase 402G - £135 It is High definition, loops, and when you view the MOV files it creates on a PC you get a map with your journey shown in purple and as the video plays, a marker moves on the map to show your current location. Comes with a 4M power cable which I managed to completely hide behind ceiling, trims and floor mat. Also includes G force sensors that show forces on the car from all four directions. so a shunt up the back would show up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts