Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot of people here and elsewhere have installed front and rear cameras, mostly BlackVue or ThinkWare. I've seen or heard of video or reports of how useful the front camera has been but I don't remember any mention of useful info from a rear camera - which makes me wonder whether the complication of fitting one is worthwhile. Any comments would be welcome.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Very easy to fit the rear camera with a single coaxial cable; and great for documenting car park incidents. I installed a 2 chanel dashcam after my rear bumper was scraped at an NCP. Now I feel a lot safer knowing that if it happens again I will be able to report it. Two eyes are better than one.

·
Banned
1,698 Posts
I've seen or heard of video or reports of how useful the front camera has been but I don't remember any mention of useful info from a rear camera - which makes me wonder whether the complication of fitting one is worthwhile. Any comments would be welcome.
Fun to catch Strava watching cyclists who are more concerned about their 'cadence' than looking where they are going.

But not that useful!

·
Registered
509 Posts
Ha Ha Ha. Sorry but that REALLY made me laugh. How come this guy has managed to live this long just baffles me some times.....

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
I've seen quite a few videos from rear facing cameras catching parking scrapes (i.e. while the camera-equipped car is parked and unattended). I suppose if you always reverse into parking spaces you won't need that!

·
Registered
89 Posts
The last serious collision I was involved in happened when I was rear-ended in a traffic jam. As it happens the responsibility wasn't disputed, but a recording of the event showing the severity of the impact could have been useful evidence for whiplash claims etc. FWIW I've had a BlackVue (DR650GW 2HD) installed in my MS. I look on it as a form of insurance.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The last serious collision I was involved in happened when I was rear-ended in a traffic jam. As it happens the responsibility wasn't disputed, but a recording of the event showing the severity of the impact could have been useful evidence for whiplash claims etc. FWIW I've had a BlackVue (DR650GW 2HD) installed in my MS. I look on it as a form of insurance.
Thanks for your comment. Yes, this is certainly a good reason to have one - lots of people seem just not to pay attention. I was rear-ended a couple of years ago when I was moving - woman chattering to her friend. I've had a front-facing camera for some time; I'll probably leave that in the less valuable car and get a new one for the MS. It seems that the BV is the best twin-camera type.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've seen quite a few videos from rear facing cameras catching parking scrapes (i.e. while the camera-equipped car is parked and unattended). I suppose if you always reverse into parking spaces you won't need that!
Interesting. Thanks. I rarely reverse into parking spots - I think it's easier to back out into a wider space. However, my wife often does, so .....

·
Banned
1,698 Posts
Thanks for your comment. Yes, this is certainly a good reason to have one - lots of people seem just not to pay attention. I was rear-ended a couple of years ago when I was moving - woman chattering to her friend.
How would a rear facing camera made any difference to the outcome?

·
Registered
538 Posts
She claims it's an insurance scam and you stopped abruptly?
As @Thermostat9 says, the "scam" is the other way round. A car in front of you would slam on for no reason to try and cause you to hit them. But it's not really a scam (except in the most extreme cases), as the onus would be on you to keep a safe distance from the car in-front.

Only a fool breaks the 2 second rule!

;)

·
Banned
1,698 Posts
I rarely reverse into parking spots - I think it's easier to back out into a wider space. However, my wife often does, so .....
It is much better to reverse into a parking space and drive out - you get a clear view of the area you are going into as you drive past before you park and when you leave you have a clear view of where you are going.

One reason I don't yet have a Leaf or Zoe is because the stupid front charge port would mean I have to park nose in when I want to charge and I really hate doing it!

·
Banned
1,698 Posts
I've seen quite a few videos from rear facing cameras catching parking scrapes (i.e. while the camera-equipped car is parked and unattended).
Have you any links to these? I have not seen any dashcam footage of parking damage being able to prove anything, let alone from a rear camera.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Only a fool breaks the 2 second rule!

;)
Is there an actual 2-second "rule" here?

In Sweden there is a 3-second "rule" which is taught in driving schools and which the police keeps an eye on. But there is also a more space in general...

From experience here the 2-second rule does not seem to be widely known ;)

·
Registered
278 Posts
It would be neat if the front and rear parking cameras on the Nissan Leaf (Tekna) could be made to stream/loop to the SD card slot .....

1 - 20 of 31 Posts