Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I spent this evening installing the 2 camera dashcam. It's a Lukas HD 7950, the one that doesn't have an LCD screen but instead connects via WiFi to an iPhone. I've had it about a year in the previous car and wouldn't be without one these days.

I had read on the US Leaf forums about connections being available in the map light box but after pulling it down and checking for the power connections I needed ( a permanent 12V and a switched ignition 12V and an earth) I realised that in the UK spec Leafs they are not available. Added to which the whole assembly seemed to be CANBUS, I decided to route the cable down to the fusebox instead.

Apart from being incredibly hard to get off, the fusebox had plenty of room to store the inline fuses that came with the dashcam. Of course, you don't get any convenient points to add accessories (wouldn't that be nice!) and so I have ordered some mini-fuse pigtails that will allow me to jump off the live side of the fuse (the dashcam 12v feeds are individually fused) making everything more permanent.

The front camera sits just below and behind the rear view mirror. I would have liked it a little higher but the shaded portion of the windscreen didn't allow it and I didn't want it in front of me.

Routing the USB to the back of the car was very easy. The door rubbers are simply pushed on and allow access to the roof space and the plastic side panels all pop off with clips.

The only slightly difficult bit is to get the cable through to the hatch using the concertina tube/grommit. The secret is to disconnect the washer hose from the one-return valve, pull it back out of the hatch and the tube and then thread the USB wire through and then push the washer hose back through. If you try and push the USB connector through with the hose in place there isn't enough room. Both washer hose and USB cable simply go back through the hatch (easy) and the cover clips back in place.

The rear camera is mounted at the top of the screen trying to keep the heated glass element out of view. (I failed as it's at the bottom of the video)

And the front one.

The Lukas cam has both driving and parking modes and a G sensor in case anyone bumps you.

I have to say, I am quite surprised that Nissan don't enable the 360 cameras to record - that would be useful!

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Cannibal!
Should have fitted one either side as well to help you park.....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

after all that surgery, you still didn't find the bacon sarnie?? o_O

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yummm - the bacon sarnie was very nice - I found it stuffed down the back of the exhaust pipe :p

If you think that was drastic - the next job is installing front and rear parking sensors and that means drilling 8 big holes in the bumpers - bring it on!!

:)

·
Registered
423 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts