Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a 'newbie' having just acquired a Hyundai Ioniq SE Electric 28k and want to hard-wire a dashcam into it. I have just found out that Halfords is no longer willing to transfer a Halfords-purchased dashcam into BEV's. Can someone kindly recommend a competent installer in the Chester area? Thanks!

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
243 Posts
Why ever not? Are they not competent enough to deal with BEVs? That's not a great advertisement for their services.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Crikey what worry worts!
I have an Ioniq 28 kWh on a 19 plate and did my own installation of a front and rear, hardwired (w/totally hidden cabling) all by myself; with info. and the help of a dashcam installation video from the "Zero Tailpipe" channel on YouTube, about how to route the rear camera's cabling through the Ioniq's tailgate panel, duct and roof edges......and I'm a.....woman! :eek:
It wasn't complicated, didn't damage any panels, or take an inordinate amount of skill or time.
Deborah.
Click here to see a post on my installation.

·
Registered
238 Posts
This was the conversation i had with the Halfrauds technician who came out to fit a cam to my wifes old Outlander phev, i had paid for the cam plus fitting at the till.
Techie: Oh i cant fit it to this car mate
Me: (a bit taken aback) really
Techie: Yes its got fibre optics so cant do it
Me: (i just cant help myself) are you a f****ing retard mate or what. Techie just stands there mouth agog like a beached whale.
Me: its the same 12v system as fitted to all cars so tell you what i will get a refund and do it myself.
And that is just what i did and also removed it and fitted it to her new Outlander and also front and rear in my new Leaf 40kw,so its not that hard, so @sizzlechest have a go just be careful.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,268 Posts
Why ever not? Are they not competent enough to deal with BEVs? That's not a great advertisement for their services.
About 18 months ago I went with my Zoe to get a dashcam installed by Halfords. They would sell me one but not install it as they had done a Zoe install which fried one of the onboard computers and been stuck with a huge bill. Ergo, they will no longer install electrics on electric cars.

I would say that they quite easy to install by yourself, but what you do, you do at your own risk.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Crikey what worry worts!
I have an Ioniq 28 kWh on a 19 plate and did my own installation of a front and rear, hardwired (w/totally hidden cabling) all by myself; with info. and the help of a dashcam installation video from the "Zero Tailpipe" channel on YouTube, about how to route the rear camera's cabling through the Ioniq's tailgate panel, duct and roof edges......and I'm a.....woman! :eek:
It wasn't complicated, didn't damage any panels, or take an inordinate amount of skill or time.
Deborah.
Crikey what worry worts!
Deborah.
Thanks for your reply and encouragement! On another thread on this site I ran across issues of problems occurring when installers not up to speed made mistakes in which terminal they were connecting to. If they were making mistakes, what hope did I have of getting it right! Halford's did a good job when I bought the cam for my ICE. This time, the manager of our local branch told me that HO has ordered branches to cease (temporarily?) work on BEV's 'as the electronics are so sensitive, they wouldn't want to trust their staff' not to make mistakes.' I'm impressed with the work you've done on your Ioniq and will check out the 'Zero Tailpipe' channel to ascertain if I feel confident enough to take on the job myself. Thanks again!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
About 18 months ago I went with my Zoe to get a dashcam installed by Halfords. They would sell me one but not install it as they had done a Zoe install which fried one of the onboard computers and been stuck with a huge bill. Ergo, they will no longer install electrics on electric cars.

I would say that they quite easy to install by yourself, but what you do, you do at your own risk.
Thanks for that Neilew! Another reply to my query was from a nice lady called Deborah, who has given me some encouragement to consider doing the work myself. I'll check out the link she's referred me to before deciding whether or not to tackle it...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Further:
I've had a little root about and located the pictures I used when connecting the hardwiring at the fuse-panel.
Although, on my model I discovered that the downloaded images here shown are for a slightly different/earlier model Ioniq, the principle was exactly correct and the precise fuse to connect with (daytime running lights) is easily located using the owner's manual diagram.
The return/negative connection was made to the plated hexagon headed bolt, retaining the right of the fuse panel to the metal chassis (circuit integrity checked with a multimeter).
Deborah.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Further:
I've had a little root about and located the pictures I used when connecting the hardwiring at the fuse-panel.
Although, on my model I discovered that the downloaded images here shown are for a slightly different/earlier model Ioniq, the principle was exactly correct and the precise fuse to connect with (daytime running lights) is easily located using the owner's manual diagram.
The return/negative connection was made to the plated hexagon headed bolt, retaining the right of the fuse panel to the metal chassis (circuit integrity checked with a multimeter).
Deborah.
View attachment 134275 View attachment 134276
Many thanks! I'll have a look and see if it's similar...

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
243 Posts
Many thanks! I'll have a look and see if it's similar...
Out of interest Sizzlechest, I have just ordered my new Kia Soul today :eek:

I asked the question of my dealer about fitting my 2 dashcams into the Soul when it comes, because Halford's won't, and they seem happy to do it for me based on me providing the cameras and the wiring kits, and they have provisionally booked a date into the service schedule for when it comes. I can let you know about cost and how good a job they make of it when it is done if you like. This is Burroughs Kia in Barnsley.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Out of interest Sizzlechest, I have just ordered my new Kia Soul today :eek:

I asked the question of my dealer about fitting my 2 dashcams into the Soul when it comes, because Halford's won't, and they seem happy to do it for me based on me providing the cameras and the wiring kits, and they have provisionally booked a date into the service schedule for when it comes. I can let you know about cost and how good a job they make of it when it is done if you like. This is Burroughs Kia in Barnsley.
Thanks DSLred! Sounds like you might have a rear facing one, too. Since I got my front-facing one four/five years ago, I have been rear-ended twice (!) but, fortunately, both admitted the damage was their fault, so no loss incurred... Let me know how your install goes!

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
243 Posts
Thanks DSLred! Sounds like you might have a rear facing one, too. Since I got my front-facing one four/five years ago, I have been rear-ended twice (!) but, fortunately, both admitted the damage was their fault, so no loss incurred... Let me know how your install goes!
Yes, I have front and rear.

I'll let you know.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
243 Posts
Just out of interest, I thought from an insurance point of view, I always thought that a rear end shunt was ALWAYS the driver behind's fault, no matter the circumstances, without it being up for debate, because, despite what led up to it, the fact that they shunted you means they couldn't stop in time, which means they were too close. A driver always has to take into account the fact that the driver in front may stop instantly, for whatever reason, and so must have room to stop themselves, or its their fault.

I suppose the only exceptions to this are where it is an engineered shunt, (i.e. an overtake and immediate emergency stop, cash for crash), as sometimes happens in ahem, less salubrious parts of some city centres. That's when a front facing camera pays for itself.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,268 Posts
I always thought that a rear end shunt was ALWAYS the driver behind's fault,
AFAIK, not in this country. It is on the continent. We used to leave in Germany and it was always the rule there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts