Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading on another forum about dash cams, how it could prove useful in an accident etc !!
Just got me thinking now, with Tesla rear view camera and front camera for autopilot.
Surely Tesla could easily upgrade it to record as well, or at least have it as an option and charge £400, and I am pretty sure 99% of owners would opt for it, and Tesla make extra profit !! Everyones happy!

Someone should point that out to Tesla!
My god I have a head for business, and please mention my name, Tesla might thank me by giving me a fully loaded P85d as bonus :D:p

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
I was reading on another forum about dash cams, how it could prove useful in an accident etc !!
Just got me thinking now, with Tesla rear view camera and front camera for autopilot.
Surely Tesla could easily upgrade it to record as well, or at least have it as an option and charge £400, and I am pretty sure 99% of owners would opt for it, and Tesla make extra profit !! Everyones happy!

Someone should point that out to Tesla!
My god I have a head for business, and please mention my name, Tesla might thank me by giving me a fully loaded P85d as bonus :D:p
It would also work as a security camera when parked up ;)

@Doug Neal could have got the numberplate of the car that knocked off his wing mirror ;)

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
I got the Transcend DP100 version. It's cheaper but has got a wider aperture for low light. It doesn't have wifi streaming but I don't care. I forget it's there now but if I need any footage I will just pop the SD card in the computer and get the video file.

Reactions: Samsam

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've also got a dash cam and to be honest with the way people drive on the roads lately they make more sense than ever. That being said I had an accident where I stupidly went into the back of a car, my insurance wasn't interested in the dash cam footage when I wanted to dispute the amount of damage claimed, however when the usual injury claim went in I wanted to know it would be used to prove the amount of people 'not' in the car.

·
Banned
604 Posts
I drive a van for my ice car. Not a week went by without someone trying a crash for cash on me. I now have a dash cam (as above) with stickers warning other drivers. The transformation is phenomenal. No one comes near me and no one overtakes me. It controls the space around me. So far I've had 2 crashes(whilst my vehicle is parked) while I was away from the vehicle and both settled successfully. Without a doubt the best ones ever spent.

My ain concern with the zoe is hitting a pedestrian because they can't hear you. Fighting any following prosecution would be impossible without camera footage as cars are always assumed guilty in this case until proven innocent.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
These insurance scams really annoy me and the stories you hear of insurance companies 'rolling over' because it's cheaper than fighting it in court. The only people to lose in the long term are motorists with higher premiums. In @mrssupermegamonkee case, the person trying it on should have been prosecuted for false claims. Only unless motorists, insurance companies and the police take a stand will the gravy train come to a halt.

·
Banned
604 Posts
Some of my footage

Watch "FG03VNA overtake waitrose island" on YouTube
FG03VNA overtake waitrose island:

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
You don't need a third party just in it to make money. There are now cases where the Police have pursued a prosecution based on the evidence of motorists' dashcam footage.

Perhaps someone could create a You Tube channel. Anyone from SpeakEV can be added as an admin and upload footage of the worst offenders.

Reactions: kentish zoe

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
There is too much footage for the Police to be bothered except in the most serious cases but I do think the insurers should type each reg into YouTube before granting cover. Add 5% for every clip ??:):)

·
Banned
604 Posts
And for the record, you will see on the footage that I braked to leave room for her. If I hadn't the outcome would have been worse.

·
Registered
47 Posts
If anyone is interested, Lidl are selling dash cams for £29.99, just picked one up for a xmas present while we did the weekly shop - also had a charge while we were there as we discovered they have 4 charging points

1 - 20 of 31 Posts