Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
So… back to the OP's point - this is something I was wondering about a week before the autopilot announcement and thought it would be better if Tesla included a handy camera integrated into the rear view mirror.

Anyway, so now they've done that and there's both a front and rear facing camera as has been pointed out, I thought that a Tesla software update could support a built-in dashcam feature if you input some storage into one of the USB ports.

It would be best if the ports were USB 3 and the devices had to meet a minimum read/write speed for the video but it would be great.

Just an on/off option added in the touch screen and instructions on adding a suitable USB storage stick and you'd be away!

Thoughts?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm thinking I need to invest in a serious CCTV system.

Not a week has gone by since my car has come back from an expensive wing mirror replacement and it's been dinged again, this time a big scrape along the rear wing just above the wheel, extensive paint damage and dented bodywork, absolutely no way of knowing who was responsible.

I've been using a cheap dashcam while I've been driving which has been fine (except occasionally dropping off its suction cup and clattering onto the floor) but I really need something that's recording all the time and with two wide angle cameras facing front and rear. Anyone have any experience of getting such a system fitted?

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
I'm thinking I need to invest in a serious CCTV system.

Not a week has gone by since my car has come back from an expensive wing mirror replacement and it's been dinged again, this time a big scrape along the rear wing just above the wheel, extensive paint damage and dented bodywork, absolutely no way of knowing who was responsible.

I've been using a cheap dashcam while I've been driving which has been fine (except occasionally dropping off its suction cup and clattering onto the floor) but I really need something that's recording all the time and with two wide angle cameras facing front and rear. Anyone have any experience of getting such a system fitted?
Ouch :( Sorry to hear the news.

I take it this was in a car park, any chance they have CCTV footage?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Ouch :( Sorry to hear the news.

I take it this was in a car park, any chance they have CCTV footage?
On the street near my house, no such luck!

Just fit two HD cameras with motion detection, hard wired to the vehicles loom, each with a 32Gb mini SDHC card. I'd say almost all cameras are wide enough angle to manage the job.

Any HD camera that has a "record on motion detection" function, mount one in the front, the other in the rear. You'll get footage of virtually everything that goes on around the car whilst parked.

It'd cost say £200 all told, and take an hour or two at most to fit.

That may be cheaper than your insurance excess, and certainly cheaper than losing your NCD... :D
I think this is what I'm going to do. Just need to find something suitable as there is a lot of cheap crap on the market.

Something like this looks promising:
http://www.exeros-technologies.com/car-cameras/hawkeye-duo-hd-car-camera

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
On the street near my house, no such luck!
Might be worth just checking if there are any houses / businesses with a CCTV that covered your car. It's a long shot, but one of the guys at work has CCTV installed on the front of his house and has been asked for footage by the police before.

I think this is what I'm going to do. Just need to find something suitable as there is a lot of cheap crap on the market.

Something like this looks promising:
http://www.exeros-technologies.com/car-cameras/hawkeye-duo-hd-car-camera
That does look like it would do the trick.

My only niggle would be if it captures an incident like yours. Is if either camera would have actually seen the impact, or only a lot of potential number plates and maybe some camera shake/audio as the offender actually made contact.

I have no idea if the insurance companies would see this as strong enough evidence, or if they will just pay out on your policy and save themselves grief of disputing it with the other persons insurer.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
I just ordered a Panorama X2 after reading dashcamtalk. Will let you know how it goes with installation and operation. I'm gonna see if I can get the Tesla service guys to install it for me.
Interested in how you get on. Are you going for front and rear? Do you have the enhanced alarm on your car?

·
Registered
131 Posts
I got a Mobius action cam (about €60), and mounted it to the front window with a cheap helmet camera mount, like this:

It's recording 1080P 30FPS widescreen video, quality is of GoPro standards... I will upload a movie as soon as I have something nice :)

·
Likes talking about cars
663 Posts
I've just put my GoPro clone (SJ4000 - £40 with the accessories) up for now, its a little bit too big, but works for me and as it's the same shape/size as a GoPro so all the accessories can be shared.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts