Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have finally managed to get my dashcam fitted. I had two quotes in the region of £100 to £120, but one of them backed out when he realised in was a BEV.
I decided to phone round a few other auto electricians and found a company in Torbay who said it would be £45. I went and had a word with the owner who reassured my that he could do it without a problem. He did it this morning - all wires are hidden and working perfectly.
For anybody needing the same in the Torbay area it is Torbay Auto Electrics on Magdalene Road (01803 299537) - highly recommended.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Halfords do it for £25.......?

Actually I've just checked and it seems now they do it for £50, but that includes the hard-wire kit needed to connect it into the fuse box, which is normally about £20, and also a 32GB SD card, which is also about £10...

I just did mine myself - really pretty simple even for a useless DIYer like me.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Halfords do it for £25.......?

Actually I've just checked and it seems now they do it for £50, but that includes the hard-wire kit needed to connect it into the fuse box, which is normally about £20, and also a 32GB SD card, which is also about £10...

I just did mine myself - really pretty simple even for a useless DIYer like me.
I wouldn’t let Halfords install even a set of floor mats in any car I own, let alone install something electrical in a £33k brand new car...

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
To be honest, it's so simple that age 17 me could have done it. Find a fuse, stick in the two-into-one fuse adaptor, feed the cable through round the door rubber seal, crimp the positive to the fuse lead, screw the negative to any nearby bolt, run the cable around the head lining, sticky pad the dashcam in place.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
I had two quotes in the region of £100 to £120, but one of them backed out when he realised in was a BEV.
For the record, these quotes are ridiculously high for a 30 minute job and £3 of fuse adaptor, and any idiot who refuses to do it because it's a BEV shouldn't be touching the electrics in any car!

Having said all that of course, thanks for the tip about someone who is willing to do it and makes a good job of it (y) (didn't want to seem ungrateful).

·
Registered
365 Posts
Do you know which circuit they put it on?
I've got mine installed but can't get it to stay on the parking mode.

Sent using Tapatalk (I'm on my phone so sorry for any auto correct screwups)

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For the record, these quotes are ridiculously high for a 30 minute job and £3 of fuse adaptor, and any idiot who refuses to do it because it's a BEV shouldn't be touching the electrics in any car!

Having said all that of course, thanks for the tip about someone who is willing to do it and makes a good job of it (y) (didn't want to seem ungrateful).
Just for the record it took him 50 mins to do the installation - so by most people's reckoning that would equate to an hours labour

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Think I replied to your post on another thread Grant, but on my Kona I used a 20A fuse advertised as "Spare" on the fusebox, with a 5A fuse for the feed-off and there being an inline 2A fuse in the hardwire kit. For the switched feed, I used something like the 12V power outlet in the cabin. I suspect the Niro's will be similar.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Since I kinda hijacked in here.
Problem solved, it was the settings on my camera stopping parking mode working properly.

For anyone else needing a permanent live to tap into the tailgate realise is a possibility

·
Registered
61 Posts

To be fair, the electrics on an EV are a bit different to a ICE car. You do need to be qualified to work on EV/Hybrids. There is plenty of power in the high voltage system to kill you very quickly. Where I work, we have to shut Hybrids and EV's down before any work is done, regardless of what's being done. But they are over cautious. General rule is, if the cables are orange, it's part of the high voltage system and you don't touch it. Regardless of how thick the wire is.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
We're talking dashcams here. 12V from the fuse box. If you think you need to go anywhere near the HV system to fit a dash cam, then you shouldn't anywhere near any electrics on any car!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have finally managed to get my dashcam fitted. I had two quotes in the region of £100 to £120, but one of them backed out when he realised in was a BEV.
I decided to phone round a few other auto electricians and found a company in Torbay who said it would be £45. I went and had a word with the owner who reassured my that he could do it without a problem. He did it this morning - all wires are hidden and working perfectly.
For anybody needing the same in the Torbay area it is Torbay Auto Electrics on Magdalene Road (01803 299537) - highly recommended.
Hi. Is your e-Niro dashcam still working well? Also just to check: is it hardwired into the fuse box, or just into the standard 12v outlet?

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
To be fair, the electrics on an EV are a bit different to a ICE car. You do need to be qualified to work on EV/Hybrids. There is plenty of power in the high voltage system to kill you very quickly. Where I work, we have to shut Hybrids and EV's down before any work is done, regardless of what's being done. But they are over cautious. General rule is, if the cables are orange, it's part of the high voltage system and you don't touch it. Regardless of how thick the wire is.
I am pretty sure that there wouldn't be a cat in hell's chance of any HV cabling being routed anywhere inside the passenger safety cell, just like there are no fuel pipes routed inside the passenger safety cell for the same reason. So staying inside the car means you are going to be pretty safe. Get underneath the car or bonnet cutting cables and you are dicing with death. But you'd need a set of bolt cutters to get through anything carrying 400v anyway, not a pair of electrical pliers ;)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Just got around to doing mine. Was very easy once you know what to do. The only thing is, my dashcam is now permanently on. I used a "spare" 10A Micro2 fuse socket. Are there any fuses linked to the ignition being on?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Just got around to doing mine. Was very easy once you know what to do. The only thing is, my dashcam is now permanently on. I used a "spare" 10A Micro2 fuse socket. Are there any fuses linked to the ignition being on?
My go to ignition live is the rear wiper.

In the niro I found that the tailgate release and the drivers seat adjustment are permanent live.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Rear wiper, good tip. I prefer having my dashcam run off its battery when the car is off since it wakes up all the time even when on the lowest sensitivity setting and I don't want it draining the 12V battery. So I'd prefer to piggy-back on a fuse of something that is only on when the "ignition" is on.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi. Is your e-Niro dashcam still working well? Also just to check: is it hardwired into the fuse box, or just into the standard 12v outlet?
Hi @Thomas Bourchier, yes, the dashcam still works perfectly and I can confirm it is hardwired to a permanently on fuse in the fuse box. I wanted it this way so that it stayed on when I was parked up doing shopping or whatever. However, when it is parked up overnight in my garage, I simply turn the dashcam off so it doesn't add to the 'vampire drain' and deplete the 12v battery so much that it won't start up when I need to use the car again.

·
Registered
365 Posts
For those concerned about vampire drain I went for the viofo as their official hard wiring kit has a selector switch that can set the voltage it shuts itself off at to protect the 12v battery

·
Registered
12 Posts
Anybody know the best way to conceal dashcam cable behind A pillar trim?
Bit reluctant to start attacking trim without knowing how it's attached.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Anybody know the best way to conceal dashcam cable behind A pillar trim?
Bit reluctant to start attacking trim without knowing how it's attached.
I found there was enough play in the pillar that after taking out the door seal part way I could just Rick the cable in.

Only had to pop it out at the top a little pretty sure they are standard pop clips.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts