Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2015 VW Golf GTE
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, have owned my 2015 Golf GTE for a week and love it... what I can't work out is how to preheat the car as well as have it charge using Octopus Go hours... so by the time my wife leaves for work at 7.30am the car is fully charged and warm inside?

I've found bits of info on a dataplug, a we connect app and we connect go. The dealer wants £30 for the dataplug and VW want £90 for be able to use we connect (I think) for a year.

So I'm so confused about how to get the best out of my new car. Please make all suggestions in very simple terms as my old brain doesn't work as well as it used to.

I'm looking forward to learning a lot about this car so eventually I can give advice to new owners.

Thanks in anticipation of your responses.

·
Registered
VW ID.3 58kWh
156 Posts
I have one spare VW dataplug left from my previous Tiguan. As I think it does not work on ID.3 it's yours but I'm quite far from Stevenage

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
Have you tried setting a departure time in your car? That should do what you want - instructions will be in the car's handbook. I don't know the specifics for your car, but my car (2020 Passat GTE) lets me set a departure time and off peak hours. When set, my car will then do the bulk of the charging during the off peak hours, then a final top up and preheat just before the departure time, so the car will be fully charged and toasty warm.

Otherwise, We Connect should let you control the car remotely, assuming your car has the right bits installed (some early GTEs didn't) - We Connect

I don't think a DataPlug is what you want. From what I gather, it's just an OBD reader, so it'll dump stats onto your phone as you drive but won't do anything when the car is off.

·
Registered
2015 VW Golf GTE
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have you tried setting a departure time in your car? That should do what you want - instructions will be in the car's handbook. I don't know the specifics for your car, but my car (2020 Passat GTE) lets me set a departure time and off peak hours. When set, my car will then do the bulk of the charging during the off peak hours, then a final top up and preheat just before the departure time, so the car will be fully charged and toasty warm.

Otherwise, We Connect should let you control the car remotely, assuming your car has the right bits installed (some early GTEs didn't) - We Connect

I don't think a DataPlug is what you want. From what I gather, it's just an OBD reader, so it'll dump stats onto your phone as you drive but won't do anything when the car is off.
Thanks for your comments... I can set a departure time, but how do I set it to charge between 12.30am and 4.30am?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts