Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there an app, website or something that you can use to log the distances, mpg etc of the ampera ?

Also, does anyone know if you can get an automatic widget plugged into be car to automatically upload to the above site/app ?

Cheers :)

Lee

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
This is a glaring omission from GM - not to provide statistics logging on board. There is a few bits of data retained that the dealers can access. Fault codes, charge statistics for the last 5 charges or so, that sort of thing. Nothing about usage. The volt in USA has Onstar which does track data and retain it. OVMS gives you a few few bits of real time info but is not a data logging service. Up feed reporting is too intermittent to be valid anyway unless it captures and stores locally then reports when it can. Ovms not designed to do that. It's a cool add-on to have so you can show folk your car charging and battery temp etc on your phone. It meets their expectations of the next gen status of EVs.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@rick, thanks that's interesting. It's the data logging side that I was most interested in, to spot trends in both my usage and the interaction between weather, journeys and range.
Might still take a look, maybe I can manually dump the data out to something......

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
@Lee Dalton if you have a software background and want to contribute to the OVMS project then I do have a number of OVMS kits that I donate to move the project forward... if you want one then send me a PM :)

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have some software programming hidden deep in my past, but whether it's useful or not is another question :) what language does it use?

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Out of interest, aren't O2 logging our charging habits through the free home charger? The whole reason it's free is that O2 can take telemetry data (just when we charge, how long for) to pass back to the government to improve their targeting of financial incentives; however it's also mentioned that this "service" is free for three years, after which it will stop working unless we pay. However I haven't received anything from O2 about this - I was expecting some kind of website or App to use to track my charging habits but nothing. Has anyone else received anything?

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Out of interest, aren't O2 logging our charging habits through the free home charger? The whole reason it's free is that O2 can take telemetry data (just when we charge, how long for) to pass back to the government to improve their targeting of financial incentives; however it's also mentioned that this "service" is free for three years, after which it will stop working unless we pay. However I haven't received anything from O2 about this - I was expecting some kind of website or App to use to track my charging habits but nothing. Has anyone else received anything?
I read something about being able to log in and access your charging data, but I think it depends on which company supplies the charging point.
As I can't have one at home, I will be lacking that feature, but will be keeping a manual log of it :)

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Out of interest, aren't O2 logging our charging habits through the free home charger?
I think your mean OLEV not O2 ;)

OLEV do collect charging data (via the hardware vendor) from grant funded Charging Stations and details are contained in Annex D of the following document;

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/137860/domestic-chargepoint-suppliers-guidance.pdf

It's supposed to be used for reports like this one;

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/high-level-analysis-of-the-plugged-in-places-chargepoint-usage-data

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
O2 are the mobile provider that provide the infrastructure for the logging and are contracted to supply this for three years. Who ultimately receives the data could be OLEV :)

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
O2 are the mobile provider that provide the infrastructure for the logging and are contracted to supply this for three years.
No, O2 are simply the network conduit over which the data passes to the hardware vendor or it's nominee (which could be O2 but in most cases is not). It's the same as browsing this website on the O2 network... O2 don't own the data passing across it's network.

Who ultimately receives the data could be OLEV :)
The data must be passed to OLEV and use for any other purpose would be illegal. Read the T&Cs that you signed.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Exactly... I think we're arguing the same thing Kevin. It's like Plusnet are my home broadband provider but where I send my emails to is not logged or used by them etc. Anyway my point is it's a pity we don't get access to the data, either our own data specifically, or the anonymised combined data sets.

Reactions: Kevin Sharpe

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
There's no prohibition on that. We provide a monthly data report where usage is non-zero back to the consumer.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Ah really? See, this is the kind of thing that we really should be told about when we sign all the forms. None of this is at all clear and we would like to know :) So I can expect to receive a monthly report?
Thanks!
Richard

1 - 18 of 18 Posts