Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

321 - 340 of 974 Posts

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
26,299 Posts
You clearly have no idea about heavy aircraft operation.
D'you meant the sort that can take off and land on grass?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Thanks for that I will watch it when I get some time. Some time ago I did read the book about it. Totally fascinating. The whole operation was literally on a knife edge and succeeded despite many many massive hurdles.
Thanks, you are welcome, I always have a copy on my hard drive, and play it when I want to remind myself what we can do as a nation when our backs are to the wall. We will innovate and beat COVID19 in the same way, eventually.

·
26,299 Posts

·
26,299 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Yesterday's figure was 938 deaths, multiply by 7 for a week and you get 6,566. The 'all deaths' 5 year average line is around 10,000, so 1400 per day. That really isn't far above the current figures at all.
The actual mortality rates published online for England and Wales by the office of national statistics, for 2018 was 541,589. Divide that by 365 for the days in the year and that's an average of 1483 deaths a day.

We won't know how many extra COVID19 cases there are above this figure until the next mortality figures are published in September. The COVID19 deaths that are reported daily are for those who have sadly succumbed in hospital, there is little clue the how many have succumbed in care homes or in the wider community as a result of COVID19.

I would expect "other than COVID19" deaths will increase, for example; those with heart conditions that would have died at home rather that risk going to hospital for treatment and risk catching COVID19 in the emergency department.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
@donald
Why bother with a runway at all ? What type and weight of aircraft could land there ?

Why would so much effort be expended in defending the runway ? And why so much effort in attacking it ?

·
26,299 Posts
@donald
Why bother with a runway at all ? What type and weight of aircraft could land there ?
Hercules.

The I Brigada Aérea operated 7 of them (C-130H) during the Falklands War, losing 1, and the VII Brigada Aérea had 3 (C-130E).

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
D'you meant the sort that can take off and land on grass?
Yes. The ground under the grass needs to be firm. If it's been sat for years and reasonably dry it will be reasonably compact. If you just tip loose soil and rubble into a crater it won't bear much load at all. It needs to be compacted - you can try this at home - which is going to need machinery or a lot of people stamping it down as you fill.
It won't be quick.

·
Leaf lover
3,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #331
Talk yesterday of a antibody test trial underway or done (no details yet) in the UK and has me wondering what would be the most encouraging result, most have already had the virus???

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
The I Brigada Aérea operated 7 of them (C-130H) during the Falklands War, losing 1, and the VII Brigada Aérea had 3 (C-130E).
So why bother bombing the runway ? And why bother repairing it ? Methinks there is more to it. Could it be that the bombed and repaired runway could not take a fully laden cargo plane ? And can the grass runway take fully laden cargo planes. Having to run semi empty planes slows re supply and takes more resources. When the bullets are flying that makes a big difference.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
There were two main benefits gained from the first operation
  1. It raised the profile of the RAF in a conflict in which they were otherwise hardly involved.
  2. For reasons that have never been explained the Argentinians withdrew their Mirages to the mainland. The general perception is that the RAF was incapable of attacking the mainland so it probably wasn't to defend the mainland but instead to keep the Mirages safe from the Vulcans. Why they didn't realise that the Vulcans were unprotected (apart from a couple of sidewinder missiles) and therefore incredibly vulnerable being large and slow, and as we now know, short on fuel.
Sadly after a failed special forces raid on the Super Etendards they were then equipped with Exocet missiles supported by French technicians working for a state owned French company in an officially sanctioned capacity which caused a lot of concern and the loss of HMS Coventry and the SS Atlantic Conveyor.

·
26,299 Posts
So why bother bombing the runway ? And why bother repairing it ? Methinks there is more to it. Could it be that the bombed and repaired runway could not take a fully laden cargo plane ? And can the grass runway take fully laden cargo planes. Having to run semi empty planes slows re supply and takes more resources. When the bullets are flying that makes a big difference.
No idea. The conversation between us started because I expressed my opinion and said I never did understand why they didn't at least attempt a repair and/or fly stuff into the grass?

Thereafter I addressed each of your responses logically and factually, as far as I could and knew. So I am not arguing there weren't good reasons. I was asking what we know they were.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
So to quote Monty Python "You were stating the bleeeeding obvious"

·
Registered
867 Posts
Talk yesterday of a antibody test trial underway or done (no details yet) in the UK and has me wondering what would be the most encouraging result, most have already had the virus???
Yes, of course this would be best, but seems to be wishful thinking.

CSO said in press conference yesterday that data available internationally suggests low single digit percentage of infection, maybe over 10% in some places.

I don't think that's high enough to have any meaningful effect. Still early stages, I'm afraid.

·
Leaf lover
3,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #337
Yes, of course this would be best, but seems to be wishful thinking.

CSO said in press conference yesterday that data available internationally suggests low single digit percentage of infection, maybe over 10% in some places.

I don't think that's high enough to have any meaningful effect. Still early stages, I'm afraid.
Single digit percentage would be very worrying and have us wondering how it seeks out the most vulnerable first.

·
26,299 Posts

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
If it is that low then our best bet for now is to try and eliminate the infection from humans. Ie. Keep R0 below 1 until the virus has 'gone'.
Then be on high alert (testing) for any reappearance. As a minimum that should be testing all international travellers and contact tracing any domestic cases. The latter should be doable since there shouldn't be many cases and we are a bit more prepared now.
But fast, reliable testing is still some time off.

321 - 340 of 974 Posts