Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

961 - 974 of 974 Posts

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
So your job this week is presumably to get in touch with all the site operators to find out what they are doing and how you fit in in regards practices and ppe.
You can't just tell your staff not to take risks (that's kinda baked in to h&s legislation anyway); you are supposed to assess and manage them (the staff and the risks). It's what managers (should) do, though I realize there are a lot who aren't actually competent at their jobs and that's a whole other discussion.
Yep we are contacting them to try to arrange dates for site visits but most of them are in panic mode too and have no idea when it will be possible. To complicate matters it's often not just one visit but a series that need to be scheduled at least N weeks apart and fit around other contractors.

I'm not talking about H&S legislation, I just mean from my own point of view as their line manager I'm not going to ask them to take risks with this thing, especially if they have kids or elderly family. I'm just not going to do it. I wouldn't anyway if they have kids because with the schools closed and no childcare they can't be away for a while day or overnight.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
I'm not going to ask them to take risks with this thing,
That's fine. As I've said before, those who don't feel safe should be supported in their isolation. But there are many who are comfortable with the risk level and want to get back in the saddle - they should be supported too.

·
Super Moderator
6,080 Posts
No the rule about furlough is to qualify you have to put staff on furlough for at least 3 weeks. You can't claim less than that.
I know what the rules are, that has got nothing to do with the difference between Friday and Today.....

·
Super Moderator
6,080 Posts
Yep we are contacting them to try to arrange dates for site visits but most of them are in panic mode too and have no idea when it will be possible. To complicate matters it's often not just one visit but a series that need to be scheduled at least N weeks apart and fit around other contractors.

I'm not talking about H&S legislation, I just mean from my own point of view as their line manager I'm not going to ask them to take risks with this thing, especially if they have kids or elderly family. I'm just not going to do it. I wouldn't anyway if they have kids because with the schools closed and no childcare they can't be away for a while day or overnight.
It is your job as a manager to make sure as far as practicable that the risks your staff take are as small as possible. You should have someone in your firm who's responsibility it is to ensure all H&S is followed, if you don't have someone then they should employ an outside contractor to carry that out. If you think they are not doing that then take the Govs advise and don't go back to work.

It would really help your situation if to listened to what is being said rather than trying to score political points.....

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
That's does seem odd. I thought there must be a reason Boris said it was work on Monday and leisure on Wednesday, but maybe it was just misspeak.
I did see something over the weekend about Raab wanting to scale back the furlough payouts. Maybe it's related to that?

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
They just said that quarantine won't apply to people coming from France or Ireland so we probably won't get any extension on your notice periods. They were planning to have people come from Ireland anyway.

·
Registered
867 Posts
They just said that quarantine won't apply to people coming from France or Ireland so we probably won't get any extension on your notice periods. They were planning to have people come from Ireland anyway.
So if you want to connect to the UK, do you just change planes in Paris or hop on the Eurostar?

They are just making this up as they go along, aren't they?

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
So if you want to connect to the UK, do you just change planes in Paris or hop on the Eurostar?

They are just kicking the can down the road I think. They've announced this will be done sometime in the future, when our infection rate is low(er), because people have been shouting about it. But where it affects trade they are hastily opening backdoors.
I know there's a lot of gut feeling about it, but I suspect we will never get our rates significantly lower than most of the rest of the world and it'll never be implemented.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts

No, the rule is "unless you entered that country in the last 14 days". How that is obvious from other Shengen members where there is nothing in the Passport is open to question, but maybe the onus will be on the person to prove that they have resided in Ireland / France for that length of time.

Alternatively, just pay a people smuggler and have a nice boat trip. :eek:

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
They are just kicking the can down the road I think. They've announced this will be done sometime in the future, when our infection rate is low(er), because people have been shouting about it. But where it affects trade they are hastily opening backdoors.
I know there's a lot of gut feeling about it, but I suspect we will never get our rates significantly lower than most of the rest of the world and it'll never be implemented.
That's good government all over, kick the can down the road and wing it when the next crisis comes.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I did see something over the weekend about Raab wanting to scale back the furlough payouts. Maybe it's related to that?
The UK cannot fund furlough indefinitely.

961 - 974 of 974 Posts