Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it’s now 14:00 and I’m still here, my “between 1 & 2 hour” appointment has now reached 4. Can’t say I’m impressed, but at least the weathers nice and I can sit outside in the carpark, by the busy road.

The latest update indicates around 12 faults, which now have to be sent to VW to ponder on, for an indeterminate amount of time. It seems I can have the car back (time unknown) which is a relief, as I feared I may have to camp under a big bush I’ve found.

I must admit that I’m feeling a bit down right now - when I dropped it off this morning, the car had 124 miles on the clock, over 60 of those relate to taking it home last week and coming back today.

Luckily I haven’t completed the VW new car survey yet HeHe

It will be interesting to find out if the locking problem (original fault) has been fixed, my guess is probably not.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,193 Posts
What was it that Brian Cox Peter Cunnah said? Things can only get better.

Let's hope that this is a one off and they don't send you home in a loaner while they wait for the answers from Wolfsburg.

Edit - Brian Cox was Keyboardist, but still guilty in my eyes. ;)

·
Registered
ID3 1st Edition in Glacier White
509 Posts
Don’t understand why they are keeping a customer waiting outside for hours on end. When it’s clearly open ended waiting for VW Germany.
Give you a nice loaner. Then drop your car off at your home tomorrow and pick up loaner from your house.
That’s good service.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If they’d said 4 hours + I could have made arrangements, had a loan car, gone on holiday to another manufacturer LOL

I’m getting very close to telling them to keep it, my part ex is still outside in the carpark - if I’m provoked, that’s the route I’ll be taking.

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
I’ve found a nice big bush in the carpark, I was planning to sleep under it tonight. I went to check it out, but found another ID3 driver already there.
I admire your SOH in this case "Sence of Humour" rather than "State of Health", but I suspect it is going to reduce soon 😉

·
Registered
859 Posts
Well it’s now 14:00 and I’m still here, my “between 1 & 2 hour” appointment has now reached 4. Can’t say I’m impressed, but at least the weathers nice and I can sit outside in the carpark, by the busy road.

The latest update indicates around 12 faults, which now have to be sent to VW to ponder on, for an indeterminate amount of time. It seems I can have the car back (time unknown) which is a relief, as I feared I may have to camp under a big bush I’ve found.

I must admit that I’m feeling a bit down right now - when I dropped it off this morning, the car had 124 miles on the clock, over 60 of those relate to taking it home last week and coming back today.

Luckily I haven’t completed the VW new car survey yet HeHe

It will be interesting to find out if the locking problem (original fault) has been fixed, my guess is probably not.
The new car survey is designed to punish the dealership rather than VW UK or VW AG if there's a low score on it. Over realised many times that VW UK are untouchable if you have a gripe that isn't levelled at the dealership. You can't complain about VW UK without it being filed straight into the bin.

·
Registered
ID3 1st Edition in Glacier White
509 Posts
Next time you go to the dealership you should go prepared and pitch a tent in their forecourt and sit outside it on a deck chair with a beverage - might prompt them to work a bit quicker.
Sadly everyone is waiting on a German tech and you will struggle to travel there with a deck chair...
But the dealership should have known this would potentially be a mess and have a plan b, plan a being customer in bushes for the day.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,118 Posts
A Human Factors/Crew Resource Management course I attended had a big picture of a smiling airline Captain, with the words under it reading ‘I’m going to kill you, and you’ll let me’.

It’s a good phrase for car dealers too, let them treat you badly and they’ll oblige.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well the outcome after 6 hours of sitting in my bush is as follows.

25 pages of faults downloaded from the car - all cleared, none reappeared (yet)

Locks still misbehaving - fobs work, but approach unlock doesn’t. Using the door handle to lock / unlock, kind of works after cars been asleep for a while, but not if it’s within about 30 minutes. Even then the response time to lock / unlock is incredibly slow - about 5 seconds. The master tech hasn’t seen it before and has sent a report to Germany. He said if 7 reports are submitted, it will be looked at etc. I asked what happens if there aren’t 7, he said, you basically wait until there are.

I asked him about update failures - he was very open, said they’d done a lot and had 3 failures requiring a new module, mine being one. The other 2 were also cars waiting to be delivered and both have been sat for over 6 weeks waiting for parts. They’ve had no customer cars fail (thankfully).

I asked if they’d spotted any pattern - he said not really apart from 2 being grey.

He also confirmed that v2.2 isn’t far away

Interestingly the guy still had hair

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,434 Posts
Sounds like the id3 has the same rubbish touch door handle system as the Corsa then. I found using the back of a finger if it's got the two lines on the handle worked lots better than trying to use it like a normal handle. Worth trying different tickling methods!

·
Premium Member
7,118 Posts
Sounds like the id3 has the same rubbish touch door handle system as the Corsa then.
I’m not familiar with the Corsa system, but just to say that Jono63s ID.3 isn’t typical of how the system on an ID.3 as his is malfunctioning.

I’ve turned off Unlock on Approach on mine as I go to the workshop next to it frequently with the key and don’t want to keep waking it up.

The touch the handle to unlock and touch to lock should work instantly.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Sounds like the id3 has the same rubbish touch door handle system as the Corsa then. I found using the back of a finger if it's got the two lines on the handle worked lots better than trying to use it like a normal handle. Worth trying different tickling methods!
Our 2019 Polo GTI+ has flaky keyless. I don't rely on it, I blip the fob every time to lock and unlock.

·
Premium Member
7,118 Posts
Our 2019 Polo GTI+ has flaky keyless. I don't rely on it, I blip the fob every time to lock and unlock.
That’s the thing isn’t it, I still use the fob to unlock/lock most of the time as well.

Still, at least there is a fob, the Tesla is driving my wife mad as half the time it doesn’t unlock when she’s standing next to it with her phone in her pocket, and she has to fish the keycard out and hold it against the B Pillar to unlock it.

Keyless entry, a solution looking for a problem in my view.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That’s the thing isn’t it, I still use the fob to unlock/lock most of the time as well.

Still, at least there is a fob, the Tesla is driving my wife mad as half the time it doesn’t unlock when she’s standing next to it with her phone in her pocket, and she has to fish the keycard out and hold it against the B Pillar to unlock it.

Keyless entry, a solution looking for a problem in my view.
I like keyless entry for one main reason - out on the moors with the dog, key buried in deep pockets to keep safe / dry - get back to car - no fumbling for the key.

Previous ID3 keys worked fine (instantly)

·
Premium Member
7,118 Posts
I like keyless entry for one main reason - out on the moors with the dog, key buried in deep pockets to keep safe / dry - get back to car - no fumbling for the key.

Previous ID3 keys worked fine (instantly)
Yes, that’s a good point, I do use it in similar circumstances when I’m heading back to the car after a photo trip and the keys are in my camera backpack.

I used to manage just fine with a standard key fob though!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes, that’s a good point, I do use it in similar circumstances when I’m heading back to the car after a photo trip and the keys are in my camera backpack.

I used to manage just fine with a standard key fob though!
It’s like anything - once you’ve had something work in a previous car, you just can’t manage without it.

·
Registered
Seat Ibiza- contemplating an ID.3
167 Posts
Works flawlessly on my 2019 Ibiza- presumably the exact same system as the Polo and Ibiza share basically everything but the styling. Although I'm not sure if they splashed out on the Polo with a sensor on the passenger door, because they didn't in the Ibiza!

TBH though it's not something that I find particularly useful- I wouldn't have specced it if as an option, but it comes standard on the Xcellence Lux trim I got.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts