Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
KIA Soul EV 64kWh
Discussion Starter #1
So the Kia Soul sets its clock from GPS time signal but you still have to manually select/deselect <daylight saving time> 馃

Registered
Soul EV 30kWh 2017
So the Kia Soul sets its clock from GPS time signal but you still have to manually select/deselect <daylight saving time> 馃
The Global Positioning System has no knowledge of DST. It uses GPS time and provides an offset from which the receiver can calculate UTC. To provide the time display, the car's receiver has to know the local time offset from UTC, and whether DST is in use or not. The car receiver software can easily contain local time offsets and determine which to use from the car's position, but DST is arbitrarily set by governments and is probably too much hassle to update per country on a yearly basis.

Registered
KIA Soul EV 64kWh
Discussion Starter #3
The Global Positioning System has no knowledge of DST. It uses GPS time and provides an offset from which the receiver can calculate UTC. To provide the time display, the car's receiver has to know the local time offset from UTC, and whether DST is in use or not. The car receiver software can easily contain local time offsets and determine which to use from the car's position, but DST is arbitrarily set by governments and is probably too much hassle to update per country on a yearly basis.
I know, but it is easy to implement an auto DST setting. My heating, alarm and DAB radios do it. So did my 2009 Merc. My 2017 Mini didn't even keep accurate time!
Agree that not having a fixed date & offset makes the car more future proof

Registered
Soul EV 30kWh 2017
Just realised it's not difficult to do, if they wanted to. Provided a mobile phone was interfaced to the multimedia system, the DST data for the current year could be readily downloaded from the internet.

Registered
KIA Soul EV 64kWh
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, though doesn't need the phone as the car has Internet connectivity - "Kia Live".
Also the car already "knows" the local offset from UTC.
Anyone know if the clock adjusts to local timezone if driven abroad?

Registered
There are a multitude of possible sources for the timezone, even without an Internet connection, FM-RDS and DAB all have local timeezone.

Registered
Ion, Kona, 16 + 18 + 2020 Soul EV
I only noticed the time was wrong this morning. Easy enough to just untick DST box, taking 10 seconds twice a year, so is it really a problem?

Registered
All-New Soul EV 'First Edition'
I agree, it's only 10 seconds, after unplugging the cable and winding it up neatly, switching off lane assist, setting auto hold, plugging in my phone, setting the regen level, unwrapping the mint humbug.

Only took 10 minutes to start the journey :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts