Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
To be honest, the hand gestures are only in my head. I don’t have a spare hand because I need to shield my eyes. How about a compromise, use your foot brake in daylight and handbrake after dark so that I can keep at least some night vision.
OK, I think we've reached a deal here :)

Just to veer off course a little more: I realised something yesterday and it has a link with wat we're discussing now: there is no mechanical feedback or audible warning if you select the reverse (to be fair: when the VESS is switched off). In many manual cars it is not possible to select reverse without doing something extra, like pushing down of pulling up on the stick. In automatic cars there is a tactile feedback from the stick, bit difficult to explain in text, but the position and angles of your arm tell your brain which gear you selected. In the E-Niro that's not the case. Turn the knob right: Drive, turn the knob left: Reverse. Thinking about it now I am not even sure which way to turn the knob (might be because I've only driven it a month).
My point: how many of you (still) look down on the knob when selecting a gear? Be honest!
And I know the gear selected is visible in the display in front of you, but both actions take your attention away from the road. That's my point.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,749 Posts
OK, I think we've reached a deal here :)

Just to veer off course a little more: I realised something yesterday and it has a link with wat we're discussing now: there is no mechanical feedback or audible warning if you select the reverse (to be fair: when the VESS is switched off). In many manual cars it is not possible to select reverse without doing something extra, like pushing down of pulling up on the stick. In automatic cars there is a tactile feedback from the stick, bit difficult to explain in text, but the position and angles of your arm tell your brain which gear you selected. In the E-Niro that's not the case. Turn the knob right: Drive, turn the knob left: Reverse. Thinking about it now I am not even sure which way to turn the knob (might be because I've only driven it a month).
My point: how many of you (still) look down on the knob when selecting a gear? Be honest!
And I know the gear selected is visible in the display in front of you, but both actions take your attention away from the road. That's my point.
WTF? I know very well (after a year) which way is D and which is R. And sometimes I still look down. But how often do you change from D to R while driving at 70mph?!?!?!

Anything else, anytime that you will need to change gear, you should be at complete stop, so you will have a spare second to look down if you need to. (I'm not sure, but I would not try it on my car: you will not be able to change to R while moving forward!)

I have never had the issue of going for R, when I meant D and vice versa. There is an audible warning if you turn the knob clockwise, when already in D. The same applies with R.

·
Registered
46 Posts
WTF? I know very well (after a year) which way is D and which is R. And sometimes I still look down. But how often do you change from D to R while driving at 70mph?!?!?!
Where did I mention switching gears while driving 70 mph?

Anything else, anytime that you will need to change gear, you should be at complete stop, so you will have a spare second to look down if you need to. (I'm not sure, but I would not try it on my car: you will not be able to change to R while moving forward!)
Again: you're making stuff up, not really helpfull here.

I have never had the issue of going for R, when I meant D and vice versa. There is an audible warning if you turn the knob clockwise, when already in D. The same applies with R.
It might be helpfull to re-read the discussion from the beginning.
This discussion eventually focussed on a situation where you were waiting for a traffic light and the question was: do you put the car in P while waiting or do you leave it in Drive and apply the brakes. Driving instructors here in the Netherlands advice leaving it in Drive as it is less "work" to start driving when the light turns green. This applied to stick-shift cars in the past but is probably carried over onto modern automatic and EV cars. I understand this advice is different in the UK so we are talking from different experiences and will have to agree to disagree. However, the background of the advice here in the Netherlands is that anything you need to do when the light turns green distracts you and in the case of novice drivers also introduces the risk of stalling the car. For example: when in a normal automatic car, you have to pass Reverse to get to Drive. This switches on the reverse lights on the car shortly, which scares the hell out of me when I am behind.
Which led me to the observation that when I want to start driving, I always look down at the knob to see which way to turn it. And I was curious if this is because I'm fairly new to the car or that it is something that more people do.
Up till now, I have only one answer, starting with "WTF?" and some weird assumptions about my behaviour on the road, wich unfortunately makes me wonder if anyone else dares to be honest :)

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
1,067 Posts
Surely the best solution is to leave the car in Drive and use the AutoHold function, it applies the brake and releases when you press the accelerator to move off.
This. And with the excellent benefit of keeping the brake lights on so reducing risk of being shunted from behind.
:ROFLMAO: (flak jacket and tin hat donned again) Peter

Reactions: peterca

·
Registered
462 Posts
Me three, with the caveat that I don't like AutoHold when low speed maneuvering.
Autohold is a nuisance when maneuvering which is why I switch it off for that purpose. I don't mind having to switch it on each time I am driving where it will be useful.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Autohold is a nuisance when maneuvering which is why I switch it off for that purpose. I don't mind having to switch it on each time I am driving where it will be useful.
Pulling up the little hand brake next to auto hold works well for me and auto releases when you tap the accelerator. Can be a little jerky like auto hold but good when you want a brake on at traffic lights etc to stop creep without foot on the brake pedal, but don't want auto hold all the time you stop.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts