Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that the DBT bug relating to not spotting a disconnected AC charging vehicle still happens, even with the Electric Highway software, and emergency stop doesn't work.
I guess that in normal working hours, the people in the Electric Highway office probably spot these, and get the units reset remotely. Since the office has been short-staffed, this may not have been spotted. (I've informed them via Twitter).

DSC_0026.JPG

·
Zoe Devotee
9,061 Posts
Wait for it...............

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,893 Posts
They should be able to track which cars have just been using the post so they can reset a post after a known problem car charges up.

Wasn't there some hooha about e-golfs breaking chargers or chargers breaking them a couple of years ago?

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,630 Posts
They should be able to track which cars have just been using the post so they can reset a post after a known problem car charges up.

Wasn't there some hooha about e-golfs breaking chargers or chargers breaking them a couple of years ago?
Or, preferably, ban users who don't stop charges properly?

Unless this is a bug to do with the charger not stopping a charge properly or a car which isn't compatible with the charger (which would more likely be a manufacturer issue).

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,893 Posts
Or the charger goes offline while the car is charging. Or the app suddenly won't work so the person can't stop the charge properly anyway.

If the charge stops automatically due to a time limit on the charger or the car stops it then they shouldn't have to do anything else other than unplug and go. If they are expected to do something else then no wonder they're left hanging in a funny state.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Or, preferably, ban users who don't stop charges properly?

Unless this is a bug to do with the charger not stopping a charge properly or a car which isn't compatible with the charger (which would more likely be a manufacturer issue).
It's a bug with the charger rather than user error. On AC it's perfectly acceptable to end the charge from the car (think about how you end your charge using a tethered home charger) - the charger is expected to notice this and end its session, and indeed most of the DBT units do this without issue. This bug means that they correctly detect that the charge has stopped, but don't detect that the car is no longer connected.

What's very curious is that it's ignoring the 30 minute limit. I wonder if this now only happens if the unit is on free-vend.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The unit had network signal, it actually showed as offline on their app, but it's interesting to see that the bug is still there.
And yes, this was Membury Westbound. When I pulled up, there were two vehicles ICEing the working rapid charger. Fortunately, they moved when I explained the error of their ways.
Thought: CCS uses the same locking mechanism as AC - with the locking controlled by the vehicle; I guess that lack of pilot signal should instantly cut charging for safety rather than leaving up to 500V DC exposed.

Note: Whatever vehicle that was, they managed to get 11.8kWh of charge before confusing the charge point.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
This is nothing. NOTHING. CYC chargers have had similar bugs for SEVEN YEARS.

·
Premium Member
9,083 Posts
I'll bite, it'll have been a Zoe that broke it. :ROFLMAO:

But in all seriousness this was/is a year dot bug in DBT software, it was "fixed" but this would suggest a regression in a newer software build.

·
Premium Member
9,083 Posts
The unit had network signal, it actually showed as offline on their app, but it's interesting to see that the bug is still there.
And yes, this was Membury Westbound. When I pulled up, there were two vehicles ICEing the working rapid charger. Fortunately, they moved when I explained the error of their ways.
Thought: CCS uses the same locking mechanism as AC - with the locking controlled by the vehicle; I guess that lack of pilot signal should instantly cut charging for safety rather than leaving up to 500V DC exposed.

Note: Whatever vehicle that was, they managed to get 11.8kWh of charge before confusing the charge point.
Pilot control loop is make first brake first for DC and AC, loss of pilot will cause immediate shutdown of power, due to design of plugs and human arms you are never likely to expose live pins.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Pilot control loop is make first brake first for DC and AC, loss of pilot will cause immediate shutdown of power, due to design of plugs and human arms you are never likely to expose live pins.
That of course implies that the safety electronics in a DBT knows things that the higher-level logic routines don't, which seems to be the bug. Someone disconnects a vehicle 'unofficially', and if power is removed, then the session-level routines should spot charging ended, and no longer any vehicle present, and no power draw, so should clear down the session.

The same bizarre logic about not clearing down sessions 'correctly' seems to cause IER chargers on Source London to hang, and their fix to this bug is that they'll fine users for not disconnecting type 2 cables in the 'correct order', which according to them is disconnect from the charger first, and not from the vehicle first. (section 5.10.5), rather than actually fixing the software to spot all possible ways to end a session, and think about edge cases. Co-incidentally, with a Pod-Point and Rolec chargers, the correct way of finishing the session is to disconnect your cable from the vehicle end first, and then the charge point connector will unlock.

·
Premium Member
9,083 Posts
Problem is DBT UI is little more than a RaspberryPi on top of the designs from the Japanese.

In their original guise the Japanese units of which the DBT are based, only had a big green go button and a red stop button.

There's a picture I posted a while ago showing the Heath Robinson build of the DBT.

Given it's pretty much impossible to monitor and diagnose the units remote, I doubt any real care or thought has been applied anywhere

1 - 16 of 16 Posts