Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am back at WKB Nissan for my Friday morning coffee and a charge and got the "Ground Fault Error" when I plugged the LEAF in. Yes it's a DBT charger that have been the common element in the Ecotricity Electric Highway recent reliability issues.

Screen Shot 2014-03-14 at 11.08.04.png

I mentioned it to the sales manager who had been told to switch it off and on again if such an error occurs. Sure enough it works.

Is this the recognised solution to the Ground Fault issue? How do we 'enable' Motorway Service Stations to follow this simple fix when a fault is detected?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
WHilst it's clearly not really a "fix" it might be a workaround... I'd rather hand around an extra 20 mins waiting for a reboot. You'd have thought ecotricity could reboot remotely, but perhaps this doesn't recycle everything?

·
Registered
216 Posts
If it was a genuine fault it would just trip again? Maybe the fault disables the ability to remotely reboot. The design will state that a ground fault requires inspection, so remote rebooting wouldn't be suitable.

Maybe Ecotricity should send a high-vis vest, and screwdriver along with the RFID card!

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
an engineer once told me they wrote a program to reboot a complex piece of military hardware that required 11 keys on a keyboard to be held down at the same time for about 5 seconds. it required both hands and a nose to complete the process :) wonder if rapid chargers have such a masonic handshake reboot process, or can you just power them off :)

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WHilst it's clearly not really a "fix" it might be a workaround... I'd rather hand around an extra 20 mins waiting for a reboot. You'd have thought ecotricity could reboot remotely, but perhaps this doesn't recycle everything?
20 mins, reboot was about 2 mins, if that (turned off power in workshop, switched back on)

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I turned up at a Nissan dealer last week and the rapid was powered down (I was first for the day it seems). It took about 2 or 3 mins to power up and to start charging.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Bristol Ikea is very much under cover but that has been unreliable. I am not sure about this correlation tbh.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Coventry Ikea is undercover. I was first to try to use it when it came on line to test it. Faulty and not fixable by Ecotriciity.

Today on the way to the Alternaive Energy event at Santa Pod I had a new failure mode at Swan Services M1 South bound near Northampton Green pin! "Initialisation Error" on screen this time. Happened last night according to Stuart at Ecotricity helpful as always he said the North bound was serviceable.

if you think about it, it pays to call them if you find a faulty one though as looking at it from their perspective they must me sure it wasn't handling trouble of a new EV owner so most likely wait until a few reports come in before red pinning a charger which may work with other cars or handlers.

Learned something new and promised to post this.
Got to N bound and Card would not be read, called again and Stuart did a card less initialised charge to get me going.o_O
I didn't know they could do that until today.
It pays to know you have to call Ecotricity back to stop the charge too if started this way if you want to leave before the charger stops itself as you can't because you can't stop the charge with your card and so you can't remove the nozzle. So please don't attempt to with force.:mad:

So now you know.
Hope that helps you some day.:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm new to EV Leaf as had mine now for 7 days and on my first trip out to charge my car at ikea Gateshead the ecotricity point has a ground fault on calling customer services who were very helpful they confirmed that it was a Nissan Charge point problem and Nissan are going to fix it, to then find that both points at Washington service station are also down with the same fault. this is really poor for the main chargers in the area where the Nissan Factory is and yet I'm unable to use any of the points, can anyone guide me in the right direction on how to get this working or if you've had the same problem as me:(

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
We just have to wait Peter. 41 or the 129 rapid chargers are off-line today for various reasons. This has been going on for months now. Ecotricity have assured us that they have a fix and it will be implemented throughout the network over the coming weeks.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Did a 170 mile round trip yesterday from Hampshire via Clacket Lane Services M 25 and central London. The east bound charger was down, but the west bound was working. A cleaning lady very happily gave me the access code (I didn't tell you it was 3180!) to exit the services and cross over to the other side.
I always enjoy parking in central London, free whilst getting a free trickle charge. And the Haydn's creation by the Parliamentary choir at the Cadogan Hall was excellent, such a wonderful piece of music.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Just reading this thread for the first time.
Its amazing isn't it that we landed on the moon in 1969 yet in 2014 we can't keep what are basically clever power supplies that cost thousands of pounds working reliably.

Imagine this level of reliability in an aircraft!

The manufacturer deserves to go bust with this level of unreliability.

I have installed and commissioned hundreds of large high power inverters for years all over the world in varying climates and never have I experienced such poor reliability.
Power inverters are very similar to these fast chargers with a bit of comms.

To read of certain components being replaced to temporarily overcome the moisture problem is very worrying.
It sounds to me that no-one at the manufacturers realised that it rains outside their cosy office.

Ecotricity on the other hand are doing more than they deserve considering we don't even pay for their service yet. I am pleased I took the decision to use them as my Electricity and Gas provider and other EV users should support them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts