Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Apologies if this question has has already been asked.. does anyone make a rapid DC charger for the domestic market? A wall mounted (similar to the Polar design) to sit in the garage and give an 80% charge in 30 minutes would be ideal.

Thanks in advance...Darcy

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
80% charge in 30 mins would require about 40kW and a 3-phase electrical supply. Almost all homes in the UK are single phase and so limited to about 40A or about 10kW. You might be able to get more but for many this will be about it.

10kW would charge a Nissan Leaf (approx 25kWh incl losses) in about 2.5 hrs.

Of course the car's AC charger is either 3.3kW or 6.6kW so it would need to be a 10kW CHAdeMO charger. I have heard of 22kW DC chargers but not 10kW. It wouldn't be cheap!

@Kevin Sharpe would know more about this

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Guys, thank for the welcome and the info.

We do have 415 supply on site but like you say...it's probably gonna be too expensive!

I'm just about to sign on the dotted line for a leaf (2 year lease from Nissan), was going to go for the Acenta with the 6.6kw on-board charger. Have just had the "British Gas" 16amp charger installed, but think I should have gone for the 32 Amp...(more haste ...less speed!).

Any advice before I jump in?

Thanks and kind regards

D

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Hi Guys, thank for the welcome and the info.

We do have 415 supply on site but like you say...it's probably gonna be too expensive!

I'm just about to sign on the dotted line for a leaf (2 year lease from Nissan), was going to go for the Acenta with the 6.6kw on-board charger. Have just had the "British Gas" 16amp charger installed, but think I should have gone for the 32 Amp...(more haste ...less speed!).

Any advice before I jump in?

Thanks and kind regards

D
I would strongly suggest you getting the 6.6kW charger if you are likely to use more than 60+ in a day, and have the opportunity to charge.
Only thing is you will need to upgrade your wall charger to a 6.6kW :)

Me personally, I have a 6.6kW wall charger. But my daily commute is 50 miles, very rarely do i go back out in the night after a long day in work which means my 3.3kW onboard charger is fine for my use. But on the rare occasion if i needed to do another 30+ miles after would I would pull in to my local rapid charger and give it a quick 15 mins blast of rapid charging (IF IT WAS WORKING !!! :))

How much extra is the 6.6kW charger per month?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Dean, yes I think you are spot on, a 6.6kW is a must.

One of the reasons I've gone for the Acenta, is it comes with the on 6.6 on-board charger, at an extra £25 per month, over 24 months (as opposed to £850 if I pay upfront).

Just trying to get to grips with the charging...British gas (polar) tell you one thing, the leasing agent (who I was talking to initially) says something slightly different and now Nissan move the goal posts again. I don't think it's deliberate I think it just illustrates how new things still are!

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
What do you want to know exactly about charging?

You can still charge your car even on your 3.3kW charger. But obviously it will be at half the rate of the 6.6kW.

With regards to DC charging, domestically you cant do this as Paul mentioned you would need a 3 phase supply and also remember the DC charger would need a supply of upto 120A.

There is a guy on leaftalk called ProfDave. He has had a rapid charger installed at his work, but your talking in the region of £10,000-20,000 for that type of install so I have been told.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Think I got the basics now...?

6.6Kw wall charger (Polar or similar) + on-board charger (in car) = charge time of ~ 3 hours.

I do have a 3 phase (415v) supply on site but like you say the kit + install is going to be way too expensive.

I guess you are happy with your Leaf?

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
For what it's worth I have a LEAF Acentra with 6.6 kW upgrade and charger at home, I couldn't imagine having the slower charger now to be honest, just feels very comfortable to be able to top-up a fair bit within an hour or two at home if I need to.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Yes I'm very happy with my leaf. Love the way it drives. Could never see me going back to an ice car now.

Time to save up the money I'm saving towards a Tesla Model E :)

·
http://ts.la/david3488
702 Posts
You can build your own dc charger but sourcing the plug is the most expensive part
You can buy a 12kw DC or 20kw, but you have to build it yourself from parts and it isn't three phase.
A three phase model is coming they say

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
We have a 100A supply and I had a 70A Tesla EVSE installed on the wall at home... this worked perfectly but we did ensure the oven was not in use. I only used it at 70A once and eventually I replaced it with my current 32A solution because I needed the space in the garage (the Tesla HPC is huge). IMO very few people need a charge rate above 7kW (32A) at home :)

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Products like the Electric Motor Works chargers are not CE tested and you'll need to seek advice on using them in the EU. I'm planning to evaluate this technology with colleagues in Amsterdam and Ireland and if anyone's interested in this then please send a PM.

Personally, I support this type of innovation and the whole concept of tinkerers in garages... after all, that's how Tesla (the scientist and the car company) began :)

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I agree... not many will ever need or want to charge at more than 7kW at home. Of course, there will be the odd occasion when we are low on charge and need to go out but this rarely happens and in 3 years of normal, everyday, EV use it has happened to me probably less than 5 times.

·
Registered
150 Posts
@Kevin Sharpe - I agree about the 32A point. I have a leaf 1 so limited to 16A. I drive about 500 miles a week. It's OK in the week, but at the weekend 16A just isn't enough. After running around the gaps in between just arent long enough to top back up. This is compounded by limited range that means more topping up is needed.

The irony of the 70A tesla unit is that you are unlikely to need to top up in the day at home at a high current as you have plenty of range, so you just plug in over night and refill at 32A...

Assuming 250w/m for leaf and 333w/m for a Model S charge rates could look like this...

Leaf @ AC 16A : 15 miles / h
Leaf @ AC 32A : 30 miles / h
Leaf @ DC 12kW home RC : 48 miles / h
Leaf @ DC 20kW home RC : 80 miles / h

Model S @ AC 16A : 11 miles / h
Model S @ AC 32A : 22 miles / h
Model S @ AC 70A : 50 miles / h

32A home charging would work for me (next car..!)That said, I quite like the idea of a home RC, just because we can...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Well it might be the cheapest option for me. Cheaper than :

- upgrading to a leaf 2
- hacking my leaf 1 for dual / 32A charging
- buying a Model S (I need 4/5 seats)!!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts