Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Needed to test it a couple of times to check it was not just an anomaly but it seems yes Hyundai have tweeked the charging curve on DC Chargers with the latest BMS update

Only tested it on 50Kw units so far will try 150Kw when I get the chance

OLD PROFILE
Full Power to 72% Then
35Kw to 75% Then
24Kw to 92%

NEW PROFILE
Full Power to 77% Then
35Kw to 80% Then
24Kw to 92&

On a 20% to 80% Charge this will shave 4 or 5 mins of the charge time, not massive but still very welcome

This was on a Ecotricity Unit (Leicester Forest East South M1) so topped out at 43Kw
Also tried on an Instavolt and that stayed at 49Kw to 77%

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 62000 miles gives me a great feeling that the Kona was the right choice thanks stageshoot
Yep its a bulletproof little car.

In 63k Miles we have replaced Tyres once, (at 43k miles), and its just had a new 12V Battery under warranty as it died over lockdown. Plus its had a repair to the steering (Was starting to feel a bit loose at the front end, hadnt got that forceful nudge back into lane you really notice on the Kona wth LKA on) again under warranty.

Brake Pads are still original and dont seem to have worn much at all.. Interior is holding up very well,

Will revaluate it at 2 years old but still dont think there is anything in the price bracket that comes close.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could this just be down to a difference in temperature since you last tested ?
No its always been 72 or 73% from the day the car was launched, and has never varied by temperature or time of year, Its just the steps that were programmed in to reduce the charge nd have been mapped by many testers

This is the published charging graph from InsideEVs for the original BMS

Kona Charging Graph

This has now been pushed up by 5%, so would seem Hyundai are confident the battery can take a higher charge for longer than they first thought

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Or try one of the other ones like Alfapower, Polar.... Depends on the locations your passing really 😊

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,199 Posts
Is there a glitch with the 350kw chargers in that on slower charging cars they give really slow speeds but the 150kw chargers don't for some reason? I'm sure I remember Bjorn mentioning it in relation to ionity.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow, something amiss there. Certainly wouldn't want to pay 69p per kW to only get a charge rate of 31kW :eek:

So what is the fastest recharge speed you have had from a charging point? Is it right that the Kona's maximum charge rate is 75kW? Wonder what the ideal conditions are to achieve that?
Fastest I have seen on the old software was 77kw on the ionity 150kw at Milton Keynes

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Yep if I go past Milton Keynes in next week or so I will sling it on the ionity one and see what happens (Apart from my bank account going overdrawn from the insane cost of course!)
ChargePoint app still listing Ionity at £7.60 flat rate for a charge rather than per kWh.. Must be a fair saving, so can't see how long that will continue.

1 - 20 of 195 Posts