Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
This is not a problem I have seen in the UK so far on my travels. I have had ICEs and other EVs parked in the rapid charge bay but they have always moved them and usually swiftly too.

I am pretty sure that generally speaking Nissan dealers are very aware of the need to keep these bays clear but they often have limited space and have to put cars somewhere if only temporarily.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
This is not a problem I have seen in the UK so far on my travels. I have had ICEs and other EVs parked in the rapid charge bay but they have always moved them and usually swiftly too.

I am pretty sure that generally speaking Nissan dealers are very aware of the need to keep these bays clear but they often have limited space and have to put cars somewhere if only temporarily.
I tried to call into Wessex Nissan for a rapid charge last week. Both spaces next to the rapid were blocked by Leafs, and those cars were in turn blocked in by a long line of Qashquais parked nose to tail. It occured to me that I might be stood around like a plebb waiting for all those cars to be moved - and I had just about enough charge to get me home - so just turned around and didn't bother.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Is there a technical reason for the cables not being long enough to be able to reach to the back of the parking space?

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Like I say... they have to put their cars somewhere and if you ask they generally move them promptly.

Personally, I think that we are expecting too much for dealers to keep the rapid charge bays clear all the time. Particularly when at the moment there aren't many EVs around to use them. I think we should have a bit more tolerance and understanding. Providing the cars are moved immediately we ask then we really have nothing to complain about IMO.

Don't forget... they are independent businesses and are not Nissan. They didn't start their business thinking they might have to give up one of their parking spaces to rapid charging. It has been forced upon them. A little understanding on our part will go a long way to keeping them on our side and also giving us a less stressed life. :)

The same goes for the issue of 24hr access. IMO we shouldn't be giving the dealers a hard time over this. In the vast majority of cases there simply is nowhere legal or sensible to put the charger so that it could be used out of hours. Most chargers I have seen are inside their security barriers and had to be if they were not to incur massive costs for groundworks etc. Nissan are encouraging new installs to try to position them so that 24hr access is possible but I don't suppose it will happen at many locations tbh.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
also I believe when you run high power DC you want the shortest cables possible to prevent loss in the transmission

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,884 Posts
I have met a very similar problem with a BMW i3 overnight charging on a public rapid charger in Dundee. Unfortunately the local council habitually park one of their EVs in the other one of the two rapid charger spaces so this meant that I had no option but to use one or the two 7kW chargers in the spaces next to the rapid charger spaces. This would not have been so bad had the i3 not been simply sucking 7kW from the rapid charger all night while leaving the actual 7kW chargers vacant.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
This is one area where I think the EVDA could make a difference... by engaging the dealers and encouraging them to educate the new owners.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I presume the dealers and Nissan have contractual agreements re rapid chargers and if they are in breach of that agreement
Well, you may be right but I have no idea what agreements are in place. Do you then?

Leafs are bought on the understanding that dealers provide these services as arranged by Nissan.
I totally agree and they must provide that service. I am certainly not disagreeing with that. What I am saying though is that they can provide that service to a perfectly acceptable standard without having to keep those bays clear of other cars. If they move the cars that are in the way promptly, and by that I mean pretty much immediately as they tend to do, then they are providing the service that is promised. Surely it is unreasonable of us as drivers to insist that they compromise the rest of their business during the 90% of the time that the charger is not being used just so that we can save a couple of minutes when we arrive?

I am all for standing up for getting what we were promised but I don't ever remember anyone being promised that the charger bay would always be empty when you arrive? Only that it would be available for us to use it when we do... and for me that means within a reasonable time period - I see 5 mins as reasonable.

I urge us all to be reasonable and to recognise that they have a car business to run and that EVs right now is not the mainstay of the business. Keep the pressure on to always make the charger quickly available yes but IMO we cannot complain if they use that bay when no one is charging.

·
Banned
558 Posts
Nissan's decision to make them available to all Leaf-drivers is very recent. As I understand it the dealerships had no guidance on siting - hence the situation we have. As I understand it the units may have been free, but the dealership paid for the installation. Not surpassingly they elected for short cable funds for economy.
Maybe we should not see Dealership-chargers in the same way as those operated by Ecotricity?
I treat dealers with 'kid gloves' - in my experience they are 98% co-operative, which is good enough for me!

Reactions: Paul_Moxhay

·
Registered
100 Posts
I did my first 200 mile Leaf expedition today, courtesy of top-up charges from Ecotricity at Clacket Lane, IKEA at Thurrock and Nissan at Aldershot. I rang ahead to Westway Nissan Aldershot to check its availability, they could not have been more obliging. They moved a Juke that was blocking it on my arrival and I topped up to 87% before stopping it.
I was surprised that the IKEA charger gave me a full 100% charge, whereas the Motorway one appears to be set to 80%.
I was greatly impressed how smooth it all went and how smug I felt drinking my coffee as all and sundry peared at the white nissan with the cable to it. Also enjoyed being able to inform the inquisitive ones that it cost me nothing!

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
@SteepJim It is most likely that the rapid chargers are actually operating the same. What is more likely is that you started your charge at the IKEA when your car was already over 50%... it would then charge to full. At the Ecotricity charger you were probably starting your charge with the car already at under 50% in which case it would stop at 80%.

There are some chargers where this isn't the case apparently but I haven't yet found one where this does not apply.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Well that certainly matches the facts. Once again Paul I baulk at your incredible knowledge base on these matters. Cheers!

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
@SteepJim It is most likely that the rapid chargers are actually operating the same. What is more likely is that you started your charge at the IKEA when your car was already over 50%... it would then charge to full. At the Ecotricity charger you were probably starting your charge with the car already at under 50% in which case it would stop at 80%.

There are some chargers where this isn't the case apparently but I haven't yet found one where this does not apply.
Still not been able to figure this as I've charged to over 80 many times when under 50 to start with and have also found at least one charger which stopped at 80 and was quite surprised when this happened, can't recall when and where that one incident was though!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts