Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not seen one of these myself yet, but was thinking maybe that's a better option for supermarkets/shopping centres.etc, places where you are likely to spend an hour or so, I think I'd prefer a few of those rather than 1 rapid at these locations

I presume based on the picture at it charging at ~100mph it's somewhere in the 15-30KW range.

·
Registered
12,683 Posts
They are still pretty expensive, though. The dealer I bought my car from had one in the parking area, IIRC he told me it had cost them around £15k to put in, so a heck of a lot more than just an AC charge point.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are still pretty expensive, though. The dealer I bought my car from had one in the parking area, IIRC he told me it had cost them around £15k to put in, so a heck of a lot more than just an AC charge point.
It was more I think for those locations the 3-4 of those you could probably get for the cost of 1 50KW+ charger would be more useful.

·
Registered
Tesla Model Y, 2022
1,106 Posts
One of the annoying thing a Tesla does is to precondition the battery on a DC charger first so the first 5kWh would get consumed just for heating. On a 22kW DC charger this means the first 15-20 minutes gets wasted with nothing getting into the battery. For this reason, most Tesla owners do not bother with less than 50kW in DC and use 11kW AC.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 2 LR, Seat Mii
1,238 Posts
One of the annoying thing a Tesla does is to precondition the battery on a DC charger first so the first 5kWh would get consumed just for heating. On a 22kW DC charger this means the first 15-20 minutes gets wasted with nothing getting into the battery. For this reason, most Tesla owners do not bother with less than 50kW in DC and use 11kW AC.
As I understand it the purpose of preconditioning in Teslas is to allow the battery to accept charge rates over 100kW, so it strikes me as wasted power on a 25kW charger which it would probably accept happily without preconditioning.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'd be surprised if a Tesla would do that on a 20kW DC charger. The charger will tell it the maximum current so there should be some logic saying "can't go over XXA / XXkW, no need to heat battery".

Something like 20kW DC is far more useful than 22kW AC as pretty much any EV will pull the full power, problem is it's still 5-10x the cost.

·
Registered
Tesla Model Y, 2022
1,106 Posts
As I understand it the purpose of preconditioning in Teslas is to allow the battery to accept charge rates over 100kW, so it strikes me as wasted power on a 25kW charger which it would probably accept happily without preconditioning.
You are trying to guess while I am reporting from experience. I think Bjorn made a video on this too.

·
Registered
Tesla Model Y, 2022
1,106 Posts
I'm not doubting the accuracy of your reporting, simply commenting on what might have been a design oversight on Tesla's part.
Many people including myself do not like the battery preheating feature anyways. Number of research prove that a battery temperature over 50 or 60°c would damage the cells and cause it to degrade. Yet, a Tesla happily allows the temperature to exceed 60°c and sustains it for several hours. In contrast, Hyundai/Kia never lets the battery temperature to exceed 35°c. Taycan offers an eco supercharging mode to throttle and reduce the charge rate for the same reason.

I hope the community finds a way to disable to preheating via the obd.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Many people including myself do not like the battery preheating feature anyways. Number of research prove that a battery temperature over 50 or 60°c would damage the cells and cause it to degrade. Yet, a Tesla happily allows the temperature to exceed 60°c and sustains it for several hours. In contrast, Hyundai/Kia never lets the battery temperature to exceed 35°c. Taycan offers an eco supercharging mode to throttle and reduce the charge rate for the same reason.

I hope the community finds a way to disable to preheating via the obd.
Surely if that really is the case then Tesla should be fixing the temperature anomalies via a OTA update years ago?

·
Registered
Tesla Model Y, 2022
1,106 Posts
Surely if that really is the case then Tesla should be fixing the temperature anomalies via a OTA update years ago?
Well, that's not how it works with Tesla, where Elon decides everything. Strangely the degradation of Model X and S is less than 8% even after 150K miles indicating they must be doing the cooling or scavenging very well to counter this.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Well, that's not how it works with Tesla, where Elon decides everything. Strangely the degradation of Model X and S is less than 8% even after 150K miles indicating they must be doing the cooling or scavenging very well to counter this.
So are you saying the overheating is or is not an issue with Tesla?

I know the i3 keeps the batteries at around 30-35C as a maximum when charging, sometimes in very hot weather you can hear the AC cooling running quite loudly.

·
Registered
Tesla Model Y, 2022
1,106 Posts
So are you saying the overheating is or is not an issue with Tesla?

I know the i3 keeps the batteries at around 30-35C as a maximum when charging, sometimes in very hot weather you can hear the AC cooling running quite loudly.
It is an issue for me since I would like to control all aspects of charging. I would like to decide when to preheat, and what maximum charge rate to accept. Perhaps, unlikely to get these settings on a Tesla.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
It is an issue for me since I would like to control all aspects of charging. I would like to decide when to preheat, and what maximum charge rate to accept. Perhaps, unlikely to get these settings on a Tesla.
No I just meant if this is a real issue with all Teslas during charging it is a serious issue which requires addressing by the manufacturer, I am surprised it has not been.

That’s all.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts