Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Dealer says they are seeing a lot of Lexus trade ins....

3K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  Paul 
Interestingly the Mitsubishi dealer I recently went to for a test drive of the Outlander PHEV was very keen to stress the different driving profiles that would suite the PHEV Vs the diesel and repeatedly asked if was going to use it mainly for lnong journeys, in which case he suggested the diesel would be more suitable.

So some dealers at least do seem keen to match the car to customer requirements.

I concluded that my current Leaf + Ice combination is a much more cost effective and flexible combination to suite our requirements rather than replacing both with the Outlander PHEV but can certainly see it being attractive to many.

Why not rather consider the LEAF + Outlander PHEV combination because f you are into EV driving, acquired the home charger and the public charging cards then you maximise your benefits/choices. I can't see having two Outlander PHEVs attractive and assume you don't mean replacing two cars with one ( presumption that cars are shared by more than one person). The statistics show that most people's driving is short range so most Outlander PHEV miles are in EV mode but you have the option for long distance. Anyone whose profile is mostly longer journeys would if they want Outlander choose diesel version.
Because my Ice is only used for around 3000 miles a year and I don't want to spend £30k on an Outlander for that! The Leaf by comparison covers 12,000 miles a year. The Ice is only used for long journeys and when we need the extra space it provides over the Leaf or occasionally when 2 cars are needed at the same time..

As I rent the Ice out through Easy Carclub when I'm not using it, all my insurance and servicing costs are covered.

This set up works perfectly for us and a number of people I know are considering doing the same.

Seems like an effective use of surplus resources but probably only flexible if you have a spare car. I would suggest that most households with a 2nd car need to use it. If the overall objective is to move away from ICE then use of a PHEV as 2nd car is the rational next step at least until we have affordable BEVs with greater range. I agree £30k is an expensive way to do this but in a couple of years time there should be quite a few 2nd hand Outlander PHEVs coming onto market as a lot of new ones are being sold with tax incentives (BIK) to business. Many of these good value as they may not have had a lot of battery charging (according to previous posts) so some bargains perhaps to be had. Alternatively there will be a lot of cheap older EVs with degraded batteries but still useful as short range run arounds.
Yes - we do you the Ice but not all the time. Most likely will aim to keep the Ice going as long as possible and then go all EV when an "affordable" 200 mile range EV is available and keep the Leaf as the 2nd car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.