Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
This is my first post in the i3 forum as I'm currently a Leaf driver. However, as I'm nearing the end of my lease, and have been talking cars around the office, I had a chat with a 118D leasee who's also looking to renew. I suggested that she should try to i3 rex (she has range anxiety), talking up the awesome advantages of elec over fossils whilst recognising range issues. She called her usual dealer who arranged a test drive after a week, as they only had the BEV i3 in stock and had to arrange for the rex. She came into the office today and has told me the following:
  • performance was awful. Press the accelerator and not a lot happened.
  • the 'sales' person knew nothing about the i3and kept referring to a 118d
  • she was persuaded to have another 118d as the 'superior' car WRT performance
  • Husband had his prejudice of milk float EVs confirmed.
My impression is that they must have let her to drive the i3 with either depleted battery/ super eco mode or the handbrake on to get performance significantly worse than a 118d. It also sounds like the salesman was only interested in selling something that suited him rather than her...
After she told us the above even the die-hard fossil burning Audi/BMW colleagues thought she'd been stitched up.
Opinions?
Thanks.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had a test drive in an i3 rex. Very quick and I am used to a Volvo T5. The BEV version is even quicker. Just too expensive for me:cry:.

·
Registered
180 Posts
A thumbs up for BMW Partridges of Eastleigh, Hampshire. Andy there was very knowledgeable (his badge said I Genius) and they had a good range of I3s to look at to see the options in the flesh. Shame the place is full of ICEs!

·
9,719 Posts
Was the dealer an i authorised dealer the fact they only had a BEV suggests they weren't, slow performance probably caused by being in ECO Pro+, if you get to low power mode in a BEV you would know about it (the dash warnings aren't subtle)

All the Sales people I have spoke with love the i3, even if they aren't the appointed i sales person. I don't think any would push you into getting an i3 but I certainly wasn't discouraged in favour of a dino-juice burning vehicle. In fact in any dealings with my local dealer I have never had the pushy BS you can sometimes be subjected to by the Swiss Toni's

Also I have had a 118D and 320D loaner, they are both painfully slow to respond compared to an i3 of either BEV or REX variants.

She has been stitched up, I would suggest a re-assesment of options if its possible in a less biased environment.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Mmmm - I know its not BMW, but the first conversation I had with a sales person re the PHEV in the local Mitsubishi dealer was woeful! He was not interested in helping me once he realised that it was the PHEV I wanted to talk about, knew nothing about the issue of home charging units. I walked out of there, no sale, no intention of going back. I retold this to a friend of a friend, a government advisor on low emission vehicles, and he put me in touch with someone else, someone who loves the PHEV and the iMEEV, someone who wanted to sell me something she believed it. Result, a sale! The BMW salesman was good enough to get a sale and keep his targets, job done for him!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
+1 for partridges, hampshire - very helpful.
Poor performance. Wow... As ever it depends on the comparison... was it against a tesla? lol.
I can only assume sales incentives were at work ....
As mentioned above the ecopro+/eco pro may have had an impact but even there the car isn't exactly slow off the line except when hitting the 56/60 mph soft speed limit where there's a dead patch (intentionally)
The only other situation I can think of is sustained >75 mph and/or hills on depleted battery with rex active. That would cause "not a lot to happen" once down to 1-2%. Maybe that's the most likely cause. If so it's true, but needs explanation.

·
Conflicted Ecoworrier/Petrolhead
3,214 Posts
I can't see how pressing the accelerator in an i3 would lead to no performance. I drive in EP+ all the time. All it does is move full power to the end of the pedal travel instead of about 10mm from when you press it ;-)

Just on basic numbers you know something is wrong:
118d 143hp 1420kg0-60 8.9.
i3 BEV 175hp 1195kg 0-60 7.2.

That doesn't even factor in that 118d time is done on a runway with the engine revving at 3,500+rpm and dumping the clutch. The i3 time on the other hand could be done by an 8 year old who doesn't yet know how to drive (as long as it's on the same runway). All they need to know is how to press the on/off button and stomp on the pedal. You can't drive with the handbrake on as it's electric and releases automatically.

The best bet is to get a local i3 owner to have a word / demo away from dealers ;-) Is she also in Shropshire? Also point out the i3 forum on Facebook. And this one!. Make sure she sees a proper i sales person. I also had Andy down at Partridge in Chandlers Ford (I was working across the road at CISCO). He's really enthusiastic about the whole i Brand.

Get a local i3 owner to demo the traffic light GP to her other half, and then some motorway 55mph pull aways it would be a game changer. Its needs a decent specced derv burner to keep up, unless you regularly drive in license losing territory. (Not a 118d). The i3 pulls away from all the 2.0Tdis I see in day to day driving when lorries finally get out of the way.

The key thing to point out is the cost of i3 + electric + tax + a bit of fuel + inevitable excess mileages costs will be lower than a 118d + loads of fuel + tax + a bit of excess mileage.

PS You just reminded me I need to write my 10,000 mile review.. as I just clocked up to 15k :)

·
3,214 Posts
Just thought... one thing I did find out from Andy - was they just get a flat rate fee on each i3 sale as they are acting as an agent, not a dealer who sets the price and can get incentives. Obviously the fee isn't as much as they get on a 118d ;-) Classic case of sell what you want, not what the customer wants.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I looked around for a EV and went to Nissan. Tried a Leaf was impressed, it went on my short list. Went to Tesla had a test drive was impressed. Went to the local BMW, who had sold me my last 3 vehicles; they said I had to drive to another BMW dealer some 30 miles away as they could sell me any other BMW but not the I3! So had another test drive in the Leaf, ordered, and one delivered as per spec in 2 weeks. Shame really but it would seem BMW are not really committed to EV when it comes to point of sale. As for Tesla; love the Leaf but looking forward to Tesla's Series 3.

·
3,214 Posts
I looked around for a EV and went to Nissan. Tried a Leaf was impressed, it went on my short list. Went to Tesla had a test drive was impressed. Went to the local BMW, who had sold me my last 3 vehicles; they said I had to drive to another BMW dealer some 30 miles away as they could sell me any other BMW but not the I3! So had another test drive in the Leaf, ordered, and one delivered as per spec in 2 weeks. Shame really but it would seem BMW are not really committed to EV when it comes to point of sale. As for Tesla; love the Leaf but looking forward to Tesla's Series 3.
There isn't exactly a Telsa dealer in every city though is there, let alone every town. There's about 30 or 40 BMWi dealers. But yes... you need to know the i3 isn't available at all of the normal BMW dealers. They will sell you a used approved one I believe.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Hi,
This is my first post in the i3 forum as I'm currently a Leaf driver. However, as I'm nearing the end of my lease, and have been talking cars around the office, I had a chat with a 118D leasee who's also looking to renew. I suggested that she should try to i3 rex (she has range anxiety), talking up the awesome advantages of elec over fossils whilst recognising range issues. She called her usual dealer who arranged a test drive after a week, as they only had the BEV i3 in stock and had to arrange for the rex. She came into the office today and has told me the following:
  • performance was awful. Press the accelerator and not a lot happened.
  • the 'sales' person knew nothing about the i3and kept referring to a 118d
  • she was persuaded to have another 118d as the 'superior' car WRT performance
  • Husband had his prejudice of milk float EVs confirmed.
My impression is that they must have let her to drive the i3 with either depleted battery/ super eco mode or the handbrake on to get performance significantly worse than a 118d. It also sounds like the salesman was only interested in selling something that suited him rather than her...
After she told us the above even the die-hard fossil burning Audi/BMW colleagues thought she'd been stitched up.
Opinions?
Thanks.
You would need to get BMW to loan you an i3 for a full day demo, and then take her out in it, or even let have a quick drive...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks all for your useful feedback. I've sent my colleague a link to this thread and now booked myself for a test drive. Who's the i dealer in Shropshire?

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
I've mentioned numerous times, it was the BMW i3 that got me into the EV world, I would be just as happy and keen driving the i3 as my Tesla P85D !!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Bottom line was a BMW dealer had a serious potential buyer in their showroom and the customer was lost to Nissan. I once tried to buy an Audi some years ago; still waiting for them to call back with the promised test drive! It would seem that Car Sales staff are only interested in what they can shift from their dealership stock; not what the customer would like. In contrast Tesla was very relaxed and said there was a waiting list but they were more than happy to arrange a test drive even though there was no likelihood of a sale in the near future. I had expressed an interest on line and a gentleman rang me from the Netherlands and arranged for local outlet to liaise and provide a test drive. After the test drive there was absolutely no pressure to place an order. Result potential buyer lined up for the future. Nissan did not have the Leaf I wanted in stock but the factory supplied one within 2 weeks of order; result for Nissan.
BMW 0 Nissan 1

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
I would hardly rate a 118d as a "performance" car. So setting aside the above comments about a suspicious test drive, I wonder what the buyer's actual desires are? Just the badge?

·
Registered
90 Posts
In the past I've owned a 118d (and a 120d as a more powerful version of the same engine). I can definitely confirm my i3 does not have inferior performance, quite the opposite.
Unless someone really had issues about range I really can't understand why they'd not choose the i3. It's ace.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts