Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
Car club membership..
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have done a little reading and turns out i was the tool.. pay deposit without being 100% set on the purchase.
They can just decide not to refund But here goes: Car was ICE estate

1 - Deposit was done £250 on the 28th (without seeing the car in dealer)
2 - I kept looking around....
3 - Found deal on and EV and paid deposit with finance approved !
4- Today sent email to cancel 1st deal. Man called and says they had all work prepping the car (so was not going to be done either way??) and lost sales (always debatable as car was not listed and was reserved according to their terms that's is max 7days.

Said manager was going back on Monday to call me. Just say Refund or No if you prefer

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,086 Posts
The £99 ones tend to be fully refundable to view the car. If you paid £250 that usually means you intend to buy it. Might be a good time to check the terms. When you paid the money did you ask whether it was fully refundable for any reason?

·
Premium Member
Car club membership..
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The £99 ones tend to be fully refundable to view the car. If you paid £250 that usually means you intend to buy it. Might be a good time to check the terms. When you paid the money did you ask whether it was fully refundable for any reason?
I thought about asking.. does that count?

·
Registered
93 Posts
If you paid using credit card just call your bank and ask them to dispute the transaction. You are protected under distance sale regulations. If you done it over the phone the Dealer have to give you the money back. They don't have a choice. Of course they will try NO TO, however they HAVE TO. All this thing about "prepin" the car is just to put pressure into you. Don't even blink, just ask for your money.
You have 14 days from placing the order (deposit) so you better move fast. You've done the right thing sending them email, now you have a record of the fact that you have canceled.

·
Registered
467 Posts
The deposit was paid when the car was unseen, so if it's a used car, say the condition isn't as you expected it to be and so you'd like to cancel.

As for prep, they've got to prep it to sell it anyway! That is costs putting it through the workshop, such as service/MOT/repairs.

If they say the prep was valeting the car, you could give them something to cover that, if you're feeling generous, but I wouldn't bother to be honest!

·
Registered
467 Posts
The deposit was paid when the car was unseen, so if it's a used car, say the condition isn't as you expected it to be and so you'd like to cancel.

As for prep, they've got to prep it to sell it anyway! That is costs putting it through the workshop, such as service/MOT/repairs.

If they say the prep was valeting the car, you could give them something to cover that, if you're feeling generous, but I wouldn't bother to be honest!

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Generally, there is no cooling-off period when you buy a car from a dealership.
However, if the entirety of the sale takes place off-premises (so you are buying a car without ever visiting the dealership), then you have 14 days to change your mind – even after paying for the car and taking delivery. In this case, you are entitled to a full refund of any monies paid (some conditions do apply, though).

·
Registered
525 Posts
I once paid £250 deposit to a car supermarket to reserve a car. I was in a bit of a rush and had second thoughts later in the day. The short story is that they refused to refund it, but eventually gave me back £100. I felt cheated, yes, but it gave me a rule that I would never again put money down on a secondhand car immediately. Always walk away and give several hours or overnight to consider it. If they pressure and say other people are looking at it, then say that's fine - there are always more cars for sale. Salespeople will say many things to stop someone walking away without committing money as they know that the sale is almost certainly lost.

As for my lost money, there are other things in life more important, and some people lose £xxxxx's after they have made a bad purchase.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts