Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just dropped off my zoe with a AC gas leak (2 years old), which AC worked flawlessly 3 weeks ago down to not working at all last week.
the guy at the desk hinted that if its a stone chip or anything like thats causing a leak that isn't covered by warranty.... Starting to find that renault's warranty is just a ton of BS.
AC leaks was the main reason I was considering extending the warranty (before i had this issue). if they dont even repair this under manufacturers warranty i wonder if theres any point of extended warranty.

Worth throwing a fuss with Renault's customer services if they call me with a quote figure for repairing it i guess.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
22,742 Posts
Yes, call Renault CS to confirm.

Renault dealers are notorious for not being able to fix Zoe HVAC systems.

·
Registered
254 Posts
If you get a nail in your tyre, or a stone cracks your windscreen, warranty wouldn't cover it either. Same on any car.

From what I hear, stone chips breaking the condenser are less likely than other cars. On my Honda Civic, the condenser is low at the front - a stone magnet. I'm on my third one and it's broken again (not bothered fixing it this time!).

·
Registered
783 Posts
Yeah if its caused by something hitting it then of course it isnt covered. They inspect the system to look for damage, if no damage then its warranty. If there is then expect to bend over

·
Registered
Zoe R110
430 Posts
Does CANZE show any pressure in your system? Might just be a bit low and if they are going to want to try and sting you for a heap of cash you can get little topup bottles from Amazon.
Clearly not a fix for the leak but if the leak is tiny and has taken two years it might be the cheaper solution, but only if the dealership want to play games.

In this heat you have a good argument that the AC is keeping the battery cool. Don't fix the AC and you could need a new battery under warranty. OK that is unlikely with the Zoe but might at least make them more aware that it isn't an add on like in an ICE car.

·
Registered
82 Posts
It's most probably going to be a bad seal or similar. That will be covered under warranty. I wouldn't stress out about it just yet.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
perished seals.
car is 2 years old/13k miles .

sorted with warranty. hopefully will hold now.
but still... seals fucked after 2 years...? disappointing build quality

also had a ze50 courtesy car, wasn't wowed by it.
lane assist scared the shit out of me, yeah yeah i know it can be disabled, but caught me off guard.
didnt like the gear knob how it flicks/bounces up/down digitally instead of moving up/down as the old zoe.
didnt like eletronic handbrake (i like the reasurance of the good ol' lever)
infotainment etc is nice, as the map on the driver's dash, but didnt seem like a massive upgrade over the old one except ofc the range/ccs.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Does CANZE show any pressure in your system? Might just be a bit low and if they are going to want to try and sting you for a heap of cash you can get little topup bottles from Amazon.
Clearly not a fix for the leak but if the leak is tiny and has taken two years it might be the cheaper solution, but only if the dealership want to play games.

In this heat you have a good argument that the AC is keeping the battery cool. Don't fix the AC and you could need a new battery under warranty. OK that is unlikely with the Zoe but might at least make them more aware that it isn't an add on like in an ICE car.
was at around 3bar with ac off or 3.5-4 with it on. compressor at full RPM constantly.
now fixed, compressor is mostly at 2000~rpm (1/3 full speed) pressure mostly around 10-11bar on the way home with AC on

·
Registered
Renault Zoe Intens Q210 22kw 2013
603 Posts
perished seals.
car is 2 years old/13k miles .

sorted with warranty. hopefully will hold now.
but still... seals fucked after 2 years...? disappointing build quality

also had a ze50 courtesy car, wasn't wowed by it.
lane assist scared the shit out of me, yeah yeah i know it can be disabled, but caught me off guard.
didnt like the gear knob how it flicks/bounces up/down digitally instead of moving up/down as the old zoe.
didnt like eletronic handbrake (i like the reasurance of the good ol' lever)
infotainment etc is nice, as the map on the driver's dash, but didnt seem like a massive upgrade over the old one except ofc the range/ccs.
I would be like that , changing from the 22kw to 50 - I would want the normal gearshift lever and the proper handbrake - they needn't have changed those things (and personally wish they hadn't) , the better handling, more expensive better quality plastics and better infotainment and its greater range would have been enough for its upgrade

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
22,742 Posts
I would be like that , changing from the 22kw to 50 - I would want the normal gearshift lever and the proper handbrake - they needn't have changed those things (and personally wish they hadn't) , the better handling, more expensive better quality plastics and better infotainment and its greater range would have been enough for its upgrade
The electronic handbrake just works. You don’t have to think about it, so it’s much safer.

The gear shift is an improvement as well - the old one would break because it had an interlock in it.

Maybe you two should stick to classic cars? ;)

·
Registered
783 Posts
really? The 50 is light years ahead, the old one feels super old when you go back, the handbrake and gear selector are the best bits, not to mention the dash, which is so much better, the old Zoe dash lcd is the same as a 2009 scenic lol

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
The electronic handbrake just works. You don’t have to think about it, so it’s much safer.
I thought that until my 3 year old Avensis got "stuck" at traffic lights in busy traffic because the electric parking brake stuck on. It took a couple of panicky minutes of turning the engine on and off to get it to release. When I went to the garage they could only say "sorry sir, we can't replicate it and can't guarantee it won't happen again". The car was sold soon after and ended my 20+ year relationship with Toyota (that wasn't the only reason, but it pushed me over the edge). Also, friends with different brands of cars have had problems with EPBs sticking "on".

While I enjoy the convenience of the EPB, it's a main reason to want to keep the car under warranty. I can see it has applications for some drivers, but for most I would say it falls in the category of "needless automation".

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
22,742 Posts
While I enjoy the convenience of the EPB, it's a main reason to want to keep the car under warranty. I can see it has applications for some drivers, but for most I would say it falls in the category of "needless automation".
How many deaths are caused each year by people forgetting to put the handbrake on?

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
How many deaths are caused each year by people forgetting to put the handbrake on?
I took a quick look, but it seems the numbers are so small they're not easily accessible. It's definitely non-zero though, don't dispute that. If I had to guess I'd say 3 per year in the UK, same as are killed by lightning based on the Google results.

By your argument alcohol and cigarettes would have been banned long ago as would cars themselves. Cost/Benefit here would seem to lie with the manufacturers because the number of deaths per "parking event" is absolutely miniscule.

Just wait until your relatively new and fully serviced car sticks you at the lights in busy traffic or something similar.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
22,742 Posts
I took a quick look, but it seems the numbers are so small they're not easily accessible. It's definitely non-zero though, don't dispute that. If I had to guess I'd say 3 per year in the UK, same as are killed by lightning based on the Google results.

By your argument alcohol and cigarettes would have been banned long ago as would cars themselves. Cost/Benefit here would seem to lie with the manufacturers because the number of deaths per "parking event" is absolutely miniscule.

Just wait until your relatively new and fully serviced car sticks you at the lights in busy traffic or something similar.
No one has banned manual handbrakes.

I’m not sure that electronic hand brakes fail any more than manual ones either - they need constant adjusting normally.

And then there's this:

I'll confess to having some near misses myself with use of the manual handbrake.

·
Registered
Zoe R110
430 Posts
Pretty sure that handbrake deaths on a AC warranty thread would be classified as off topic a fair bit.

Glad that it was all sorted under warranty though.

Reactions: Harry_Zoe

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
The lane assist in the ZE50 is entirely broken. They should never have shipped it.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts