• 'Meh', but would probably behave similarly with a combustion car

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Poorly informed salesperson

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Salesperson tried to steer me towards a combustion car instead

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Unreturned phone calls

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Problematic test-drive car (eg. uncharged)

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • No test-drive car

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • No car in the showroom

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Other anti-selling behaviour

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • None of the above, online sale

Votes: 5 14.7%

• Total voters
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There have been stories floating around the community about the reluctance of some dealers to sell EVs, going right the way back to the EV1 and up to the recently revised e-Golf. I've heard about dealers not returning phone calls, not having cars available to test drive, not having a charged car available to test drive, having the show car in bad condition, trying to persuade customers that they need a "regular" car instead (even if it's cheaper), or just general lack of knowledge on the salesman's part.

But is this still common today? Who exactly are the ongoing offenders, and is it the norm for a manufacturer or is it just particular dealerships? There's nothing resembling hard data that I've seen, so I was hoping this poll could give us some kind of picture of what's actually going on out there.

So, if you've had a good or bad experience buying EVs from a particular manufacturer, please make a note of it here. Specifically, whether they've been happy to take tens of thousands of pounds from you or whether they've tried to anti-sell the EV.

Would also be great to read any stories on the subject that anyone can be arsed to share.

(I wanted to have positive and negative poll options for every manufacturer, but the forum will only allow 10 options, so am just dividing the poll by attitude and hoping for some manufacturer-specific experiences in the responses.)

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Made a manufacturer-specific poll on SurveyMonkey, so you can name-and-shame (or name-and-...gain?) the car maker you've had a good or bad experience with.

Survey page

Results page (apparently takes a few mins to log new entries)

What's particularly motivating all of this is the song and dance Volkswagen is making about the iD hatchback and the millions of EVs they apparently want to sell, in stark contrast to the tales of dealer silence and near-year waits for the e-Golf. I'm wondering which manufacturers are actually walking the walk right now, or if 'greenwashing' is still the norm.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I'm not sure that openly stating that you're running the survey because you perceive VW to be greenwashing is the best way to get unbiased voting.

For example, I went to look at an eGolf a couple of weeks after the order books opened for the 2018 model. There were no demonstrators to be had anywhere in the country. But my dealer was absolutely open about the problem, completely accepted that I was only in the market for an EV and bent over backwards to get a GTE for me to try in EV mode only. They were accepting that I had done my homework before going in to them and were able to answer, or find out the answer, to my questions. They treated me as a person who wasn't stupid. Throughout they were also obviously trying to learn more about EVs and acknowledging they were the future. Their knowledge improved had dramatically between when I ordered and when I collected the car. I ordered one unseen, and despite a seven month wait I love my car. I ordered early enough that when my actual wait was longer than my VW estimated wait they provided a hire car for two months so I could SORN my old, trying to die on me, car. Although I think that option disappeared when they realised how many hire cars they'd have to pay for. Yes, I had issues with my order and would far rather not have had to deal with VW head office as well as my dealer. But they were pretty fair in how they dealt with me.

Contrast that to my experience with Hyundai. I'd booked a test drive with my closest EV dealer an hour and a half drive away. I got there and they denied all knowledge of my booking, despite being shown the email confirmation. No full EVs available. No offer to try out one of their hybrids. Took quite a bit of persuading to even let me sit in and look around one of the ICE versions that was sitting in the forecourt. Wouldn't even let me take an ice for a test drive so I could see what a car that size felt like to drive and park (whether it was a bit big was my main other concern aside from what the EV bit was like). Throughout I was treated as that stupid girl who knows nothing about anything and they only wanted to speak to my dad, who I'd taken along as a second pair of eyes, who actually knew much less about EVs than I do. Suffice to say they didn't get my custom. And that dealer won't be getting any of my custom in future.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
My Leaf dealer (Nissan Aberdeen) was very knowledgeable and didn't attempt to sell me an ICE instead in any way.
BUT, he nearly cocked it up on the test drive by putting it in ECO mode and leaving me wondering why the hell the car felt so damned slow.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Two contrasting experiences with Kia.
One dealer I booked a test drive online a week ahead and was phoned up the day before to say"oops a mistake we don't sell the EV version", phoned a second Kia dealer booked a test drive the following day and hada very knowledgable sales guy on a 30 minute test drive.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
My Leaf dealer (Nissan Aberdeen) was very knowledgeable and didn't attempt to sell me an ICE instead in any way.
BUT, he nearly cocked it up on the test drive by putting it in ECO mode and leaving me wondering why the hell the car felt so damned slow.
ECO mode must be a lot more aggressive in the 24/30 Leaf then, because I really don't notice the difference in the 40kWh. (And you'd think an EV forum of all places would get the terminology right - see panel on left.)

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
ECO mode must be a lot more aggressive in the 24/30 Leaf then, because I really don't notice the difference in the 40kWh. (And you'd think an EV forum of all places would get the terminology right - see panel on left.)
I've driven a 40KW, but avoided even trying the ECO mode as it's so horrible on the 24/30.
So no idea.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts