Votes: 5 15.6%
  • You must be joking

Votes: 25 78.1%
1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted an electric car for quite a while so I could stop poisoning my fellow citizens but all the EVs on offer had hopeless range for my needs. Then I saw all the publicity about the new 2018 Leaf that would do ‘up to 235miles’. A dream come true I thought and got my order placed in February and collected from garage in March. Now I’m not a naive fool so I reckoned it probably wouldn’t manage 235 miles but I felt the claims couldn’t be completely bogus so expected say 180 miles for a long motorway run. Otherwise there was no point in buying one.
So to the reality.....I was conned. Beautiful car quiet powerful spacious etc BUT real range at 65mph on the motorway? I would say 80 miles!!!
My experience is that it could do about 115 miles on the full 100% charge travelling at 60-70 mph. Of course that doesn’t happen as you need to recharge at about 10-15% minimum for optimal fast charging so now I’ve only really got 95 miles range and similarly I can only recharge to say 90% to avoid massive delay so there we actually have 85 mile range in real life. So I believe Nissan have misrepresented the car (although they have now played down the 235 claim in some of their web sites) by withholding essential information to help me make an informed purchase and no doubt the ASA will be interested too. Don’t get me wrong : if you have a daily commute of 50 miles each way this car is SIMPLY BRILLIANT but for me and anyone making regular long journeys, it is a disaster and I would never have bought it if Nissan had advertised it truthfully. I want my money back until I can have a useable Leaf that really does 200 miles or thereabouts . Written more in sorrow than anger.
John

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
@leaf fail whilst I agree with your sentiments, the real world range is more in the region of 150 miles in the current weather, and possibly 180 miles in warmer weather on a single charge.

I managed 146 miles on 93% in 12C a few weeks ago keeping to 62mph. I understand @QPRfan has managed 180 miles on his longer term test drive.

My current ‘tank full’ would equate to about 135 miles, but that was with about 20 trips or more over a few days with the climate control on at 21C and heating up the cabin for every trip.

Single motorway journeys are the most efficient as you only heat up the car once and tend to keep a reasonably constant speed. As long as you keep the speed down.

I’m not getting the efficiency with the Leaf 40 I was getting with the Leaf24 because I’m driving it faster as the speedo is only about 5% out compared to 10-11% out.

My overall efficiency for the last 2000 miles is 4miles/kWh.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
I used 48% battery doing 67 miles with around 60 of those miles on an empty motorway at a constant 60mph.

That extrapolates to just short of 140 miles. I think there was a bit of a headwind and I'm still on very new tyres but it wasn't particularly cold and the road was dry. I'm hoping it is possible to do better at that speed. I can't imagine getting 180 miles unless there were a lot of 50mph roadworks.

·
Registered
125 Posts
In all the LEAF I have owned I have found all the UK ones with the heat pump return around 4 x the stated battery capacity, so I went into the 40Kw LEAF expecting 160miles (ish) so far I believe that it will be more like 175Miles. My usage is A roads and some dual carriageway and as far as I can tell, using that profile and leaving the heater set to Auto its going to perform as I expect.

Going to have a run of about 140 miles at the weekend over to the Lake District, I will be using the A69 & M6 on the way there and A686 over the Pennines (Hartside & Alston) on the way back. I expect the A686 will be the most efficient.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
30,200 Posts
..... expected say 180 miles.....My experience is that it could do about 115 miles on the full 100% charge travelling at 60-70 mph. .....similarly I can only recharge to say 90% to avoid massive delay so there we actually have 85 mile range in real life...... I want my money back until I can have a useable Leaf that really does 200 miles
John
So, unless my arithmetic has gone wayward, with one charge you get your 200 miles, and you were expecting to do one charge anyway for your 200 miles.

Not that I don't sympathise, but bear in mind we are still in 'winter weather' and you might have missed my rule of thumb:- you get a half of the NEDC range in winter, and 2/3rds of it in summer.

If you followed that guidance you'd be bang on the numbers.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
I don’t remember reading about @donald rule of thumb in the past, but agree with the 1/2 & 2/3rds.

·
Super Moderator
6,397 Posts
I wanted an electric car for quite a while so I could stop poisoning my fellow citizens but all the EVs on offer had hopeless range for my needs. Then I saw all the publicity about the new 2018 Leaf that would do ‘up to 235miles’. A dream come true I thought and got my order placed in February and collected from garage in March. Now I’m not a naive fool so I reckoned it probably wouldn’t manage 235 miles but I felt the claims couldn’t be completely bogus so expected say 180 miles for a long motorway run. Otherwise there was no point in buying one.
So to the reality.....I was conned. Beautiful car quiet powerful spacious etc BUT real range at 65mph on the motorway? I would say 80 miles!!!
My experience is that it could do about 115 miles on the full 100% charge travelling at 60-70 mph. Of course that doesn’t happen as you need to recharge at about 10-15% minimum for optimal fast charging so now I’ve only really got 95 miles range and similarly I can only recharge to say 90% to avoid massive delay so there we actually have 85 mile range in real life. So I believe Nissan have misrepresented the car (although they have now played down the 235 claim in some of their web sites) by withholding essential information to help me make an informed purchase and no doubt the ASA will be interested too. Don’t get me wrong : if you have a daily commute of 50 miles each way this car is SIMPLY BRILLIANT but for me and anyone making regular long journeys, it is a disaster and I would never have bought it if Nissan had advertised it truthfully. I want my money back until I can have a useable Leaf that really does 200 miles or thereabouts . Written more in sorrow than anger.
John
This is no different than believing the MPG figures advertised on a fossil fuelled car.......
If you are new to the world of EV you need to learn to drive differently, its a completely different (and more relaxing) style. Once mastered you will get a much greater range.

·
Registered
379 Posts
@leaf fail whilst I agree with your sentiments, the real world range is more in the region of 150 miles in the current weather, and possibly 180 miles in warmer weather on a single charge.

I managed 146 miles on 93% in 12C a few weeks ago keeping to 62mph. I understand @QPRfan has managed 180 miles on his longer term test drive.

My current ‘tank full’ would equate to about 135 miles, but that was with about 20 trips or more over a few days with the climate control on at 21C and heating up the cabin for every trip.

Single motorway journeys are the most efficient as you only heat up the car once and tend to keep a reasonably constant speed. As long as you keep the speed down.

I’m not getting the efficiency with the Leaf 40 I was getting with the Leaf24 because I’m driving it faster as the speedo is only about 5% out compared to 10-11% out.

My overall efficiency for the last 2000 miles is 4miles/kWh.
Well said @MikeProcter, balanced and realistic as usual.

·
Registered
425 Posts
This is no different than believing the MPG figures advertised on a fossil fuelled car.......
If you are new to the world of EV you need to learn to drive differently, its a completely different (and more relaxing) style. Once mastered you will get a much greater range.
It's the same with #rapidgate. I don't feel deceived as I didn't create an expectation in my mind that any marketing was going to be anything other than wildly optimistic. Hence the only thing I am a bit disappointed in is the understeering.

·
Leaf lover
4,875 Posts
The simple answer for Nissan (albeit that it does not help the op) and to get some level of sense into the transition to driving electric, is for them to stick their e-power unit under the bonnet of the 40 Leaf.
That way when the 60 kWh comes along they can offer the 60 and the 40+rex side by side and let the customer decide.
This would be great for Sunderland, the dealerships and customers alike because Nissan would sell three times as many Leaf if the i3 is anything to go by....and great for the environment.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi
If you thought you'd get the range as advertised then you (sorry) probably shouldn't be trusted with a driving licence :D
Hi Dan
You are probably right although I have now completed just over fifty years as a driver so i do have some experience to draw upon! I know that manufacturer's claims are always on the high side-I think we all know that- but when I was taking the big plunge into EV I needed realistic information so i could make an informed choice. With a petrol car (like my old C1) I had Citroen claiming (I think) about 67mpg and it turned out to be 48mpg, and that was very disappointing, but it didn't mean that I couldn't make a round trip of 150 miles through running out of petrol. When I bought a Leaf with a claim of up to 235 miles, it never occurred to me that the claim was so false that my 150 mile round trip would be impossible without recharging- I expected 170-190 miles in real world conditions. In fact driving at a steady 70 mph it does about 120 miles in optimum conditions, which is only 50% of the claim that was paraded across all the media, Nissan's website and brochures. I recently charged up from a Nissan point with a big 'up to 235 miles' sticker on it. To me that is a lie and when we think how big manufacturers are now in serious trouble for false emission claims I am amazed Nissan was so wild with its advertising back in January when I decided to buy the car.
A very costly decision based on misleading and incomplete information I fear.

John

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
You've just got to be joking! If true then vehicle sounds faulty; get the battery checked either by the dealer or with Leaf Spy.
However the NEDC figure was never calculated going at 65 on a motorway. It consists of four repeated ECE-15 urban driving cycles (UDC) and one Extra-Urban driving cycle (EUDC).
You really need to check what the range figure actually represents when deciding if a vehicle is for you.

·
Premium Member
11,588 Posts
The simple answer for Nissan (albeit that it does not help the op) and to get some level of sense into the transition to driving electric, is for them to stick their e-power unit under the bonnet of the 40 Leaf.
That way when the 60 kWh comes along they can offer the 60 and the 40+rex side by side and let the customer decide.
This would be great for Sunderland, the dealerships and customers alike because Nissan would sell three times as many Leaf if the i3 is anything to go by....and great for the environment.
I assume you know the ePower Note doesn't plug in? It is just a serial hybrid. With a tiny battery. A "better" yet (probably) less fuel efficient Prius.

Or do you think there is space for an additional 1.2 litre ICE, a generator and a fuel tank in a Leaf 40 :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
11,588 Posts
A while ago I complained to the ASA about Nissan quoting the NEDC range for the Leaf in a context readers may believe was achievable in normal driving. I felt people were being misled, especially as (unlike Renault) Nissan offered no real world guidance. My complaint was not uphelp due to their weasel small print.

Nissan now use WLTP for the Leaf and claim 168 miles. I suspect this is achievable at modest speed most of the year?

Reactions: 45265 and gzoom

·
Leaf lover
4,875 Posts
I assume you know the ePower Note doesn't plug in? It is just a serial hybrid. With a tiny battery. A "better" yet (probably) less fuel efficient Prius.
Yes you assume correctly, the e-Note is basically a BEV minus a big battery and socket
Or do you think there is space for an additional 1.2 litre ICE, a generator and a fuel tank in a Leaf 40 :ROFLMAO:
Yes I do mean putting the e-power unit under the bonnet of the Leaf and adding a small fuel tank etc somewhere.
The e-Note and the Leaf share the same electric drive train and Nissan have put the system in the front of what is a smaller car so why should they not be able to fit that unit in the Leaf?
It would not surprise me to hear that it has already been done in Japan as from over 100,000 cars some must have been sent to breakers yards.

1 - 20 of 168 Posts