Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys

I currently have been approved for a Tesla Model 3 LR with delivery expected in next week or so (existing inventory). Total cost came to £49,490.

I am thinking if it would make more sense for me to instead buy a Peugeot E-2008 GT which are currently being offered by some dealers at £32,000 after discount/grant.

It isn’t really a like for like comparison and clearly the Tesla beats the Peugeot in many ways, but is it worth an extra £17.5k?

We usually don’t drive more than 10/20 miles a day with the occasional 100-150 mile round trip once or twice a month. We have a child so boot space/backseat space is preferred and usually a higher ride of crossover/SUV is also preferred.

There are pros and cons to both vehicles and I’m really trying to justify if I should really be spending the extra £17.5k on the Tesla?

Tesla pros:
  • It’s very premium
  • Much higher range
  • Better drive/handling according to reviews (Inc 4WD)
  • Supreme acceleration and top speed
  • Autopilot is very simple to use
  • PIN to drive (my last car was stolen)
  • It’s a Tesla!
Tesla cons:
  • Price
  • Not totally a fan of autopilot having seen extensive use on London via YouTube, blind spot monitoring/avoidance is weak compared to other manufacturers (imo)
  • No powered boot close/open
  • Not an SUV/Crossover
  • No heat pump (bigger hit during winter)
Peugeot pros:
  • Cost!
  • I prefer the look personally
  • Prefer the blind spot technology
  • Apple Carplay
  • Wireless charging
  • Powered tailgate
  • Better vision out of rear
  • More space
  • Has a heat pump (reducing range loss)
Peugeot cons:
  • Range anxiety
  • Performance/drive lacklustre
  • Likely to depreciate faster
Another option is to wait for the VW ID3 but that could be a really long wait!

Thank you for input.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Day to day it seems like your pro list favours the Peugeo as you have the comforts and conveniences that may make life easier. Range anxiety isn’t an issue if you can build in short stops for a charge session, and as you have a kid that might be just part of a journey anyway?
£17,000 buys a lot of other things, but it’s hard to say whether the depreciation would be bad enough to justify buying a model 3 instead, especially as all EVs seem to be doing pretty well at the moment.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi Guys

I currently have been approved for a Tesla Model 3 LR with delivery expected in next week or so (existing inventory). Total cost came to £49,490.

I am thinking if it would make more sense for me to instead buy a Peugeot E-2008 GT which are currently being offered by some dealers at £32,000 after discount/grant.

It isn’t really a like for like comparison and clearly the Tesla beats the Peugeot in many ways, but is it worth an extra £17.5k?

We usually don’t drive more than 10/20 miles a day with the occasional 100-150 mile round trip once or twice a month. We have a child so boot space/backseat space is preferred and usually a higher ride of crossover/SUV is also preferred.

There are pros and cons to both vehicles and I’m really trying to justify if I should really be spending the extra £17.5k on the Tesla?

Tesla pros:
  • It’s very premium
  • Much higher range
  • Better drive/handling according to reviews (Inc 4WD)
  • Supreme acceleration and top speed
  • Autopilot is very simple to use
  • PIN to drive (my last car was stolen)
  • It’s a Tesla!
Tesla cons:
  • Price
  • Not totally a fan of autopilot having seen extensive use on London via YouTube, blind spot monitoring/avoidance is weak compared to other manufacturers (imo)
  • No powered boot close/open
  • Not an SUV/Crossover
Peugeot pros:
  • Cost!
  • I prefer the look personally
  • Prefer the blind spot technology
  • Apple Carplay
  • Wireless charging
  • Powered tailgate
  • Better vision out of rear
  • More space
Peugeot cons:
  • Range anxiety
  • Performance/drive lacklustre
  • Likely to depreciate faster
Another option is to wait for the VW ID3 but that could be a really long wait!

Thank you for input.
Why don't you just split the difference and get yourself a Tesla 3 SR+ for about £40k? It'll get your almost all of the Tesla pros without the cost. Your typical use won't scratch the surface of the SR+ range, and you'll have supercharger access if you end up doing trips longer than those you've mentioned.

Not that it's the end of the world, but for a 150 mile round trip, you'd have to stop and charge with a Peugeot e2008, at least in the colder parts of the year with motorway driving.

Gut feeling, but I'd expect the Peugeot to depreciate harder as well, so the Tesla SR+ could actually save you money over a long enough period.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why don't you just split the difference and get yourself a Tesla 3 SR+ for about £40k? It'll get your almost all of the Tesla pros without the cost. Your typical use won't scratch the surface of the SR+ range, and you'll have supercharger access if you end up doing trips longer than those you've mentioned.

Not that it's the end of the world, but for a 150 mile round trip, you'd have to stop and charge with a Peugeot e2008, at least in the colder parts of the year with motorway driving.

Gut feeling, but I'd expect the Peugeot to depreciate harder as well, so the Tesla SR+ could actually save you money over a long enough period.
You are right, I did originally opt for the SR+ funnily enough, though it came to £7.5k difference between this and the LR. Some things which kind of annoyed me about SR+ was lack of floor mats (crazy when spending this much), no fog lights (why?!) and I didn’t like the idea of having rear heating elements and speakers exist on the car but disabled by software. So it was more of an in for a penny in for a pound to just get the LR. I then had the fear that SR+ might depreciate quite a bit more than the LR, so the 7.5k seemed more justified for the cost (might be being irrational).

Your post does make a lot of sense though.

It is funny, if not for corona, I probably would have just got the Tesla. Now due to corona, am thinking if money saving getting an alternative might be more sensible...

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Pug usually look pretty naff styling wise after about 8 years but the Tesla model 3 looks naff already (Dysney - Pixar did a better job in Cars). So that's my advice.

Now I'm off with hands over my ears to block out the Tesla fanboys howls.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
You are right, I did originally opt for the SR+ funnily enough, though it came to £7.5k difference between this and the LR. Some things which kind of annoyed me about SR+ was lack of floor mats (crazy when spending this much), no fog lights (why?!) and I didn’t like the idea of having rear heating elements and speakers exist on the car but disabled by software. So it was more of an in for a penny in for a pound to just get the LR. I then had the fear that SR+ might depreciate quite a bit more than the LR, so the 7.5k seemed more justified for the cost (might be being irrational).

Your post does make a lot of sense though.

It is funny, if not for corona, I probably would have just got the Tesla. Now due to corona, am thinking if money saving getting an alternative might be more sensible...
You can enable the rear seat heating through the app for £300 at any time. Have you test driven either of them?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Any car without active cruise control will depreciate more in the near future. Peugeot is now delivered without "driver assist plus" package - it was not ready for the car release, and they "forgot" to tell the first buyers...
All Teslas have excellent ACC, and will only get better.

·
Super Moderator
11,540 Posts
You really should wait until you can drive them.

We test drove the previous 2008 a few years ago and it was one of the worst cars I've driven. It was good until we pulled out on the road. Just awful to drive.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
@Mash86 Can you wait to see what the new Mustang Mach-e is like as the specs look pretty good for £40k on the base model? Also I took a look at the new 2008 and am sure the Model3 has more space.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@Mash86 Can you wait to see what the new Mustang Mach-e is like as the specs look pretty good for £40k on the base model? Also I took a look at the new 2008 and am sure the Model3 has more space.
I do like the Mach-E, but looking at end of 2020 at the earliest for one I think.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You really should wait until you can drive them.

We test drove the previous 2008 a few years ago and it was one of the worst cars I've driven. It was good until we pulled out on the road. Just awful to drive.
Was that the electric or fuel version? I hear the electric one is more refined and I’m guessing the instant torque helps.

·
Super Moderator
11,540 Posts
Was that the electric or fuel version? I hear the electric one is more refined and I’m guessing the instant torque helps.
It was petrol. The electric version is new. Still you should drive the car. Spec sheet doesn't cover what the car is like.

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
No brainier tbh

unless you are mega flush and money is burning a hole in your pocket then I agree - pug every time

I got my e208 a few weeks back and massively impressed with the quality - 10x better than the Zoe was.

if you go for the GT you get almost autopilot, you get full led headlamps, you get 3D speedo with head up nav display, you get 10” display, frameless rear view mirror etc etc etc

I think monthly the M3 worked out at twice the monthly payments as the pug with the same £6k deposit

and I agree the M3 already looks dated - in fact it never looked good tbh. I’d have one though obvs

the e208 is great fun to drive and if this is your first EV, even with a 150mile car your range anxiety disappears pretty quickly - I’ve done 400 mile round trips in the Zoe no worries - just need to think a bit
Save your money for better things

JJ

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
if you buy the pug, or any other EV, you'll always be wanting to swap to the Tesla - if you can buy it without putting your family at risk financially, get the Tesla and enjoy it - if you don't enjoy it then you'll know that basically cars are always going to let you down somehow - we only live once apparently - remember the end of the world could be just around the corner. Better to die after a happy life, than die still waiting for it to happen.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I do like the Mach-E, but looking at end of 2020 at the earliest for one I think.
[/QU
I would go Tesla 3 over the 2008 but Mach e over the Tesla. Then again Model Y Vs Mach e is a tough one.

To be honest in this pandemic cars are really the least of my worries, you won't be getting any car until the end of 2020 at this rate anyhow.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts