Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've struggled for weeks with a temperamental connection between house and car (ZS EV Exclusive).
We're granny charging as we're about to move house, and so not worth installing a 7kW point, which would be fine if only it were reliable.
But every evening when we hook up, it takes 3 or 4 attempts to connect/disconnect, wiggle the connector, lock/unlock, before the car will start charging.
Looking at it in daylight, it seems that the top right pin, as you look at the car, has receded back into the housing, as per the photo I've attempted to embed.
According to t'internet this pin is the Control pilot (CP): post-insertion signalling. Whatever, I'm sure this is the root of our problem.
Has anyone else seen this?
I assume the fix will be a trip back to the MG dealer, rather than poking around with a pair oif long nosed pliers...

IMG_1698.JPG

·
Registered
186 Posts
We've struggled for weeks with a temperamental connection between house and car (ZS EV Exclusive).
We're granny charging as we're about to move house, and so not worth installing a 7kW point, which would be fine if only it were reliable.
But every evening when we hook up, it takes 3 or 4 attempts to connect/disconnect, wiggle the connector, lock/unlock, before the car will start charging.
Looking at it in daylight, it seems that the top right pin, as you look at the car, has receded back into the housing, as per the photo I've attempted to embed.
According to t'internet this pin is the Control pilot (CP): post-insertion signalling. Whatever, I'm sure this is the root of our problem.
I assume the fix will be a trip back to the MG dealer, rather than poking around with a pair oif long nosed pliers...

View attachment 140303
Try this thread for a similar discussion. Might help. Type 2 port question

·
Registered
5,153 Posts

View attachment 140303
Hi Graham, that pin is by design is supposed to be shorter (1st to break, last to make).
Cheers

·
Registered
40kW Leaf Tekna & 22kW Zoë Q210 dynamique intens
642 Posts
The top right pin is one of the communication pins on the type 2 socket, it is intentionally shorter by design.

this is a safety feature so that the communication is the first thing to disconnect if the locking pins fail and you start to pull the plug out under load or you haven’t fully inserted the plug.

This prevents charging from occurring in a potentially dangerous manner, those sockets can only carry a 32a load of the connectors are fully mated if they arnt it could overheat and melt or catch fire.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
The pin is also shorter to stop you from daisy chaining another type 2 cable!

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
More likely your home electrics... lucky you’re moving.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Do you have access to a public charger close by, or a EV friends car / charger you can use to prove which ( if any ) is the problem.
Or you could use your car and “Granny” and plug in at another address to prove if it’s your house wiring that is causing the problem.
Good luck !.

·
Registered
275 Posts
It could be that either the granny charger or the port is defective - do you have a Type 2 cable so you can try it on a public charger?

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
Do you have access to a public charger close by, or a EV friends car / charger you can use to prove which ( if any ) is the problem.
Or you could use your car and “Granny” and plug in at another address to prove if it’s your house wiring that is causing the problem.
Good luck !.
Carty's reply is most helpful. Find a public charger and try charging with a type 2 to type 2 cable. If that is problem free, you have isolated your problems to the granny charger and NOT the car.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,937 Posts
I agree with the others that the pin should be shorter, but looks to me (on the picture) that it's out of line. It's skewed up and to the left. It should be dead centre. If it is you are going to struggle and have to wiggle it to make it work. I reckon it's best to have it looked at by the garage.

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
If you look very carefully, all of the pins are offcentre in the image. This is due to parallax. The camera lens will have been offcentre when the shot was taken. The recessed pin image looks more offcentre because its deeper. To check this out on the car, your single eye need to be square on to each pin.

In any case, assume that the car is OK and check out charging on a public charger using a type 2 cable.

·
Registered
52 Posts
There is a complicated handshake between car and charger which has to complete before charging begins. You can hear the relays in the car clicking whilst this happens. I've got so I now recognizer the sound of a successful handshake.

There have been lots of reported issues with mains based ethernet causing inference to the electronics in chargers. If you are using this it could be worthwhile disabling it just long enough to see if it's the root cause.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,098 Posts
Bzzzzzt! And that was the last we heard of @GrahamC 🤦‍♂️

1 - 13 of 13 Posts