Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At present I’m driving a Passat GTE Advance which has been an excellent car. For family reasons the next car will be a 4 X 4. looking at the LR Defender PHEV and was wondering whether any forum posters could comment on experience with the LR PHEV drivetrain?

The Defender comes with the same drivetrain as the Range Rover and Discovery PHEVs. This mates a 296bhp 2.0-litre four-cylinder petrol engine to a 139bhp electric motor.

To quote from an early review - “Land Rover claims the model will offer “substantial torque” that will add to the rugged machine's off-road capability. The powertrain can achieve 0-60mph in 5.4sec, a top speed of 130mph, fuel economy of 85.3mpg and CO2 emissions of 74g/km. Iain Gray, Jaguar Land Rover's powertrain engineering boss, claimed that the new plug-in hybrid "balances performance with fuel economy and all-electric off-road capability." Charging of its 19.2kWh battery comes via a Mode 3 connection using a charging power on the left of the vehicle, while a Mode 2 connector available as an option. An 80% charge takes around half an hour on a 50kW rapid charger. Regenerative braking is also used.”

Living in Ireland there are also financial as well as some environmental benefits in buying with the PHEV drivetrain. The Vehicle Registration Tax on the PHEV is 9% compared with 37% for the diesel and annual tax is €170 versus €2350. In the UK the PHEV is about £8,000 dearer but due to the revamping of VRT rates in the Budget the PHEV is, according to the dealers, going to come in at or below the diesel powered version.

I assume that in normal driving the 85.3 mpg mentioned above will really be more like the diesel consumption levels if it is similar to the Passat.

Comments on the LR powertrain and any other thoughts and inputs would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
34 Posts
interesting, looks like they've bumped up the size of the battery in the defender, my RRS has a 13.1kwh battery, 19Kwh would be great especially with Rapid charging!
I've not had mine long but performance wise its fine(i'm used to quick cars), i assume the RRS is heavier that the Defender too? i'm getting no where near the EV range stated, but i kinda expected this, it's ideal scenario ICE MPG ratings all over again in terms of the numbers on paper...
The problem with MPG is thats its skewed and doesn't factor in cost for the charging, a quick look at my app shows every journey in the last 6 days as over 100MPG, most being 250MPG+ as there are all short journeys(under 10 miles) mostly on EV, your usage will have a huge effect on whether its worth while or not. Unfortunately i have no way of tracking the charging cost so can't really work out the true cost per mile.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nano thanks for your reply. My experience with the Passat GTE is that whist the paper consumption was about 120mpg this works out on long runs where ICE is mainly used the reality is about 45-50 mpg, about 40% of the theoretical consumption. This is of course much better for local journeys Like you mention.

Having got used to driving a PHEV I like them as they match my usage needs better than a pure current EV. Living in Ireland a PHEV also makes financial sense given the lower tax on purchase and the lower annual road taxes. It will be interesting to see how well the PHEV drivetrain works with the new Defender on and off road.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts