Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A question for e208, Corsa e & DS3 e Tense owners.

From the comments on here it seems many are using the deferred charging function, especially when combined with the lower overnight tariffs.

So if your reduced rate is say for example over a 5hr period, I get that you can plan the charge start time i.e. 1am, but how do you stop the charge?

On my tariff, Off-Peak is 9pm to 7am and all day weekends. If I charge overnight on a weekday I have to physically stop the charge by going to the car.

Is there a work around?

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,135 Posts
You can't in the Corsa unless you unplug the car. There's no stop time or stop percentage.

·
Registered
Corsa-e 2020
799 Posts
A question for e208, Corsa e & DS3 e Tense owners.

From the comments on here it seems many are using the deferred charging function, especially when combined with the lower overnight tariffs.

So if your reduced rate is say for example over a 5hr period, I get that you can plan the charge start time i.e. 1am, but how do you stop the charge?

On my tariff, Off-Peak is 9pm to 7am and all day weekends. If I charge overnight on a weekday I have to physically stop the charge by going to the car.

Is there a work around?
At the moment, you'd have to wake up by 7am and stop the charge in the app. At least you don't have to get out of bed. All you can do with it at the moment is set the time you want to start the charge, assuming you have a dumb or not-so-smart charger.

If you've got a cheap rate for 10 hours, assuming you have a 7kW charger, You'd have no problem starting your charge at 9pm as it would take around 5-6 hours to fully charge even if it was empty when you began.

I'm assuming that you could possibly set different options with a real smart charger like an OHME or similar but I'm not familiar with those. I am contemplating adapting my PodPoint with a smart timer but not rushing at the moment to find out much as I'm still waiting for a smart meter in order to get better tariff.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As I mentioned before weekends aren't an issue, but in these winter conditions I'm finding I need a second top up mid week.

I can easily set the charge to start just after 9pm and by 5am the car would be at 100% and just remain plugged in.

So for now Mid Week I'm trying to be clever and terminate the charge at about 90% soc, hence why I' setting the charge at 1am.

It's just damned annoying and daft to have to physically disconnect it. It's 2021, don't we have the technology? :)

·
Registered
Corsa-e 2020
799 Posts
As I mentioned before weekends aren't an issue, but in these winter conditions I'm finding I need a second top up mid week.

I can easily set the charge to start just after 9pm and by 5am the car would be at 100% and just remain plugged in.

So for now Mid Week I'm trying to be clever and terminate the charge at about 90% soc, hence why I' setting the charge at 1am.

It's just damned annoying and daft to have to physically disconnect it. It's 2021, don't we have the technology? :)
Why do you have to physically disconnect it? You can just stop the charge with the app by resetting a new start time 23 hours and 59 minutes ahead. Just keep deferring the charge 24 hours ahead and at some point before those 24 hours are up, reset the timer another 24 hours ahead. It can stay plugged in and not charging as long as you find the 30 seconds or so, once every 24 hours to reset the timer.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,631 Posts

If you're needing a second top-up midweek then I would suggest that you top-up every night. Each top-up will be less than a full charge and will complete within a few hours instead of trying to stop it when the cheap rate ends it will stop earlier because it is full.

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,135 Posts
@208's Plenty

User manual for the Corsa mentions you can use the unlock on the keyfob to stop a charge. If you unlock the 208 and let it relock by itself does the charge stay stopped and go back to deferred charge if you leave it plugged in or does it revert to immediate charge and carry on or carry on with the timed charge? If it switches to immediate then can you switch it to deferred/timed in the app without even changing the charge timer?

If it's been charging for over a certain time on a timed charge can you just flick it over to immediate and then back to deferred and have it stop anyway without altering the charge timer or unlocking it?

Having had the app be as flakey as anything I'd want more than one way of stopping the charge without having to go out to the car.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have my Rolec charger set up with my energy tariff so it knows to only charge on the cheap rate.
What it doesn’t allow though is to precondition the car using the mains. I can live with that though

·
Registered
Corsa-e 2020
799 Posts
I have my Rolec charger set up with my energy tariff so it knows to only charge on the cheap rate.
What it doesn’t allow though is to precondition the car using the mains. I can live with that though
Even with the car plugged into the charger, pre-conditioning still takes its power from the main battery. If it's plugged in at the time, the charger will replenish the batter as it is used for pre-conditioning. A pre-condition uses approx 3% of your charge at this time of year.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Even with the car plugged into the charger, pre-conditioning still takes its power from the main battery. If it's plugged in at the time, the charger will replenish the batter as it is used for pre-conditioning. A pre-condition uses approx 3% of your charge at this time of year.
Poor phrasing from me in my post.

What I mean is that, because of the way I’ve set up my charger, it stops at 0430 so it won’t replenish while the car is preconditioning

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The app is so flakey, I've pretty much given up on it/don't trust it.

If I were to top up nightly, I'd still have to terminate the charge by locking unlocking the car with the key fob when I'd prefer to be sleeping. ;)

I just find that it is a situation that allows programming for the start of a procedure, so why can't we do the same for the end.

My Central Heating app works that way.

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,135 Posts
It's an annoying omission. Some of the in car charge systems allow you to set an end time instead of a start time. I can't remember having one that let you set both start and end.

I'd think an ohme cable with an app is probably best solution.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I've emailed podpoint about scheduling for start and finish

Their still working on it and invited me to be a beta tester so hopefully will be testing it soon

1 - 14 of 14 Posts