Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the Latest issue of Auto Express a question was asked by a reader as to the legality of aftermarket LED headlamps.
As there has been such varied opinions from Forum members; some say they are OK, others say (including me) that they are illegal. I think the following answer from Auto Express answers the question once and for all: -
External LED’s are technically illegal because they cannot be given an E-mark, which is a legal requirement for use on the road.
The confusion arises when they are correctly fitted, and work within the halogen guidelines – they will pass a MoT because there is no requirement for testers to check E-marks.

Reactions: andyswarbs

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
In summary, they ARE illegal but you are unlikely to get caught.

The laws an ass.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
It's time it was sorted really.
At the moment I'm putting up with not very good lights on my Niro because I can't buy legal LED replacements and don't want to risk any issues.
When I go from the Golf to the Niro I really notice how dull halogens are compared to LEDs and would like something that shines further up the road.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If someone were to hypothetically want to replace the lights on his/her recently-purchased 2018 ZE40 with LED bulbs, how would they go about doing that?

·
Premium Member
3,586 Posts
Our old zoe passed several MOTs with aftermarket LEDs fitted
As did an old car of mine when I fitted aftermarket HIDs behind projector lenses.

The point is though, without an E mark, they’re not legal for fitting onto a road vehicle, whether they pass an MOT beam test or not.

There is a risk that should you be involved in a serious accident your car could be taken away as evidence and examined for roadworthiness. If circumstances around said accident involve lighting as a factor, you can see how you could be cut loose by your insurer and covering your own and others losses as well as being prosecuted.

Unlikely perhaps, but worth the risk?

I agree the law could do with a refresh around vehicle lighting though, if you can prove they’re not dazzling to other road users, then I don’t see the problem, and being able to see a road at night properly has safety benefits for both the driver and pedestrians/cyclists etc as well.

·
Premium Member
2019 Leaf 40
6,599 Posts
There are plenty of brighter road legal halogens that can be fitted. I'd use those instead as then there isn't the problem with them not being E marked.

You'd think one of the bulb manufacturers would produce an E marked bulb in LED. There's obviously some reason why they aren't.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
It's time it was sorted really.
Agreed 100%. But I'm willing to bet a substantial amount of money that it will not be in the next 5 years.
At the moment I'm putting up with not very good lights on my Niro because I can't buy legal LED replacements and don't want to risk any issues.
Perhaps next time you choose a car you'll make the lights a red line? :unsure: I need the LEDs on a LEAF which forces me to buy the Tekna at the age of car I'm buying. First world problem. :devilish:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts