Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fun problem I've been having lately, with recent very cold temperatures, the car is usually a block of ice in the morning. The preheating does a wonderful job on the windows and the seal on the charging lead means that I can always unplug the car without any fuss, but I've found that the charging flap itself is covered in ice and usually won't close without a bloody good scraping. Given the complicated shape of the flap and the cavity around the charging socket, scraping it takes ages and isn't doing my back any favours.

So any tips to share for an icy charge flap?

Things that I've thought of to try:
  • Spray deicer on the flap and charging socket cavity (not into the type-2 socket itself) to clear the ice
  • Pour some warm water on it
  • Give it a quick blast with something warm (hairdryer? worked for the boiler condensate pipe...)
  • Find something to wrap around that general area of the car to stop it icing up in the first place (sandwich bag or something...?)
  • Get a stool to sit on while scraping the ice
Unfortunately, parking in the garage is currently not an option as the local recycling centre is closed.

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
I generally use a spring clamp like these
Rolson spring clamps
to clip a largeish, stiff polythene bag over the entire plug when charging, in case it rains. This forms a pretty good tent-like shape that deflects water, and maybe dew, away from the important area.

I've had water getting into a hairline crack in the car's socket before, and the resulting short circuit blew up the socket as well as the Rolec EVSE. Fortunately car was in g'tee, and Rolec repair was only about £80 easy diy job. Since then I do everything I can to avoid any water getting near, and I always dry a damp socket thoroughly before shutting the lid & trapping any moisture in there.

Reactions: cdlb

·
Registered
Corsa SRI Nav Premium
4,977 Posts
A slither of vaseline (or Vicks) around the flap will help prevent sticking in icy weather. Sometimes the simple remedies are the best.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,348 Posts
If I was to encounter that problem I would be inclined to first of all slip an old thinsulate bobble hat over the port door when it was left open during a charge. Perhaps with a polybag over that to weatherproof it, and held in place with a lacky band. Then, if the open port itself caused problems perhaps experiment with a slab of polystyrene foam cut to shape to the fill the area - with a central hole cut to snugly poke the type 2 plug through.

But then again I love problems like this. I must be a distant relative of Heath Robinson.

Edit - Perhaps a shower cap to cover the bobble hat would be better than a polybag as it's elasticated already to keep the lot in place. Look 'pretty' too.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
sealed freezer bag, half filled with hot top water, works wonders on anything frozen.

Use at your own risk on windows (although I have never had any problems)

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sealed freezer bag, half filled with hot top water, works wonders on anything frozen.

Use at your own risk on windows (although I have never had any problems)
I was actually thinking that I have some of those little reusable hand warmer gel packs - they're not as hot as what comes out of the tap, but definitely enough to make short work of ice and can be used when a hot tap isn't available. And can also be used as a bum warmer to save a few electrons :)

·
Registered
373 Posts
A slither of vaseline (or Vicks) around the flap will help prevent sticking in icy weather. Sometimes the simple remedies are the best.
Just be careful not to get the Vaseline near the connection terminals. It’s an insulator so will increase resistance and create heat, which is not good because it’s flammable.

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just be careful not to get the Vaseline near the connection terminals. It’s an insulator so will increase resistance and create heat, which is not good because it’s flammable.
Quick way to deice the socket though ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts