Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I tried the delayed charge feature of the Ampera for the first time. I set it so that the charge finished shortly before I would normally switch on the car preheating with the key fob.
However when I eventually set off for work the car was only 90% charged despite giving it plenty of time to top the charge back up ( and cool down). When I tested it later it seems the car, when set on delayed charging, takes the preheating power from the battery but doesn't top the pack back up until the next scheduled charge time ie. the following day in my case, how mad is that!!
Is there any workarounds to stop this happening? I thought about adding a timer to the Rolec charger itself, but as my car is parked almost underneath my neighbour's bedroom window, I don't think they'd appreciate it beeping it's horn at 3am every night:oops:
This morning I had to sit in the car in my PJ's at -2 degC and turn the charge delay off before putting the cabin preheat on. Sort of defeats the object of preheating:mad:

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,625 Posts
I leave about 6:45am and have the charge set to complete by 6:15. Switch on preheat about 6:10 and it is charged for me leaving. I did try it with charge end time of 6:30 but like you did not have a full charge on departure.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ian, are you saying, if I start the preheating shortly before the timed charge end time it will extend the charge time until it is topped back up?

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,625 Posts
I have gone back to charged for 6:15 and using the preheat the car is back to fully charged by 6:45, not sure if it overrides the timer or if the preheat is separate to the timer and as such will try to get back to 100% even with the timer past.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Pretty sure it does top it back up, even if you have delayed charging set. You just need to wait for the light to start blinking again. With a temp of 23/24 deg C it normally takes 10 - 15 minutes after the preheat has finished.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, I'll have another try tomorrow. Maybe it was just a fluke that mine didn't restart charging after preheating.

·
Super Moderator
5,892 Posts
My wife pre heats the Volt by using the key function.

1.Comes down stairs, from lounge press lock on key fob, straight away press and hold for 5 seconds the pre heat button.
2.Makes coffee and toast.
3.If really cold goes through 1 again.
4. Gets in fully charged warm car and drives off.

Ps you must leave the car set as you want it in the morning before you turn off the night before.

·
Registered
110 Posts
If the car is connected to the mains the preheat uses the mains and is supplemented by the battery if the weather is really cold so if you set the charge to finish 30 mins before you depart the battery should be fully charged and the vehicle preheated no problem for departure.
Remote Start
This feature starts the heating or air
conditioning systems and rear
window demister from outside the
vehicle. Use remote start to heat or
cool the interior when the vehicle is
plugged in to maximise the electric
range by utilising electricity from the
electrical outlet.
Normal operation of
the system will return after the
vehicle has been turned on.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
If you watch the charge flow meter when it's in preheat mode, you'll see it using about 6kW to condition the batteries, warm the car, run the demister etc; however it can only take about 3.8kW from the mains, so 2.2kW is being taken from the batteries - this is the effect you're seeing. The best thing to do is set it to be fully charged before you use pre-heat, then use pre-heat, then leave for 10-15 minutes to top it up again.
Must admit I hadn't noticed the above (just worked it out) so I shall have to try it out now too!

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did some checks over the weekend and my car does top up the battery after preheating, even in delayed charge mode. I may have had my charger set to 6 Amps last week when it failed to top up the charge?
I have noticed, however, that Mygreenvolt reports the SOC as 97% yet the car says fully charged after a preheat/ top up in delayed mode. This is versus 98.2 -100% SOC doing same in charge now mode. Only a small difference, but strange that there would be a difference at all.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My Ampera failed to top up the charge after preheat again today. The difference seems to be that the timed charge finished at 06:30 but I didn't start preheat until 08:20. After preheating the car just sat at 93% charged until I got in 30 mins later when it still had the time to fully charged reported as 30 mins or so on the display.
Seems there may be a time limit in software from when timed charge finishes to when a top up can occur. Luckily the 3 or 4 miles less range it was giving me on the GOM this morning shouldn't leave me short today.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
My Ampera failed to top up the charge after preheat again today. The difference seems to be that the timed charge finished at 06:30 but I didn't start preheat until 08:20. After preheating the car just sat at 93% charged until I got in 30 mins later when it still had the time to fully charged reported as 30 mins or so on the display.
Seems there may be a time limit in software from when timed charge finishes to when a top up can occur. Luckily the 3 or 4 miles less range it was giving me on the GOM this morning shouldn't leave me short today.
I used the preheat feature once on a public charger, but I had to disconnect and reconnect again as the car ends the session as soon as it has finished charging.
I presume that there is something in the timing within the software that triggers that, and it would presumably be similar on a home charger / evse.

Not really sure how to get around it, other than unplug and plug back in.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,625 Posts
That is like my experience is the other week, although I did notice I got the double beep 'Timer set''from the horn when it had finished the preheat, I was not waiting for it but had just come home from walking the dog when the preheat ended.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts