Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a home charge point fitted yesterday and have started to play around with the car's delayed charging feature. After some finger trouble I have entered the off peak tariff times, the departure time and selected "only charge at off peak times."

My question is if the departure time is outside the off peak time how will it behave?

For example I plug in at 10.30pm with off peak time set to 12.00am to 07.00am, departiure time set to 09.00am and "only charge at off peak times" - what will happen between 7 and 9?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so what's the significance of entering the departure time I wonder.

I was thinking maybe it was to do with the pre-heat function getting the cabin ready for departure (so a distinction between charging and pre-heating) but maybe you can only do that manually from the key?.

If you allow "charging at all times" then I guess it will work out the most efficient regime to maximise the off peak rate but still ensure you're fully charged by your departure time (guess I'm starting to answer my own question here). This would imply that when selecting "only charge at off peak" departure time is actually irrelevant.

·
Registered
116 Posts
When you press the button to open the charge door (if you haven't yet opened the driver's door) it will tell you when it will start charging. My observation is that it seems to start as early as possible. Eg I have my off-peak time programmed in and it starts charging at the start of the off-peak time rather than finishing just in time for the departure time.

As it can cope with 3 rates (which I don't think we have with any supplier in the UK) I suspect the departure time is more for use with that - it can work out whether it can wait for the cheapest rate or whether it needs to spend some of the charging time in the next rate up.

·
Registered
116 Posts
On reflection being able to specify the departure time is probably of more use if the 6A slow charging is being used...my off-peak time currently ends at 8:30am so if I was using 6A charging and needed to depart at 6am the car would need to know when to start charging the night before before the off-peak period had started.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
my off-peak time currently ends at 8:30am so if I was using 6A charging and needed to depart at 6am the car would need to know when to start charging the night before before the off-peak period had started.
The latest OVMS firmware release has sophisticated charge timing controls including ramping charge current up and down to hit a required state of charge at a set time. I assume this works with the Ampera/Volt and if not maybe @Lee Howard could take a look :)

·
Super Moderator
6,340 Posts
I tried the delayed charge thingy last night. Got to the car this morning to discover it hadn't charged at all :( time to rtfm I guess !
This might be granny and egg time but……..

When you leave the car after plugging in, if the horn sounds once the car is charging, if the horn sounds twice it will charge later, if it does not sound then something is wrong.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Nothing Granny and Egg, I havent read this bit of the manual yet ;)

I 'think' it pipped once. But the green light came on, the charging station said ti was active, but the car hadnt actually done anything, so I assume that I set it to start/finish on the wrong day.....

·
Super Moderator
6,340 Posts
In the winter time we usually charge at night time cheap rate in the summer we make the most use of our solar panels. I fetched my daughter back from a party a month ago and did not get home untill 1 in the morning, the car was set to charge later but as we pluged in during the charging hours it only bipped once and started to charge straight away.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Not sure what model you have, but we have a Leaf.
We have it timed to charge from 11pm onwards.
I've found that if you arrive home AFTER the start time, it doesn't charge! So I have to remember to press the timer override button (I don't often remember...)

·
Registered
241 Posts
I've never had a problem with programming the timer, so have another go and it should work. If the car won't be fully charged by the proposed Departure time, it will 'beep' 4 times. You will then need to decide if you want to override the programmed charging times by unplugging and then plugging the cable back in, and the car should then charge immediately to full..... or whenever you unplug.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
so what's the significance of entering the departure time I wonder.
On the Ampera departure time is only used to alert you that the car will not be able to charge by that time when you plug in(4 toots?) That seems to be all.

The car will start charging as soon as it is able, not delay until anything. I have mid range price set for mornings so the car Will use mains for preheat. if you set strict rules it wont use mains at high peak even for preheat.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
From my limited experience of trying this out I'm not convinced the pre-heat is done at all in response to departure time. I think departure time is used in the algorithm to work out the best charging regime if you allow it to choose and if you select "charge only at off peak" I think departure time is irrelevant.
I think the pre-heat is only ever initiated manually by the key fob although happy to be corrected...

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I have tried the pre-heat on the Ampera many times now and I have seen no difference in range either with or without it. So I won't do it anymore as it just takes power for nothing

·
Super Moderator
6,340 Posts
I have tried the pre-heat on the Ampera many times now and I have seen no difference in range either with or without it. So I won't do it anymore as it just takes power for nothing
WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

My wife think's one of the best features of the Volt is that she can point a key from inside a nice warm house and 10 mins later get into a warm defrosted car. She will never wants to own a car without pre heat ever again.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,442 Posts
When I take the dog for a walk in the morning I set it and by the time I get back and ready to leave for work it is defrosted, warm seats and warmish interior. Only once when I used it has the windscreen not been fully defrosted.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
I love the idea of the pre-heat, but as I have to walk 10 minutes to where I charge the car, I can't see it working .....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts