Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a single charge point at work which is usually occupied when I arrive. All my colleagues (driving EVs other than Zoes) are able to park in a neighbouring bay leaving their charging cables attached to the car to be plugged in when it becomes available. This doesn't work in my 2016 Zoe, the car goes to sleep and doesn't wake up when plugged in. Is there a way of keeping the car awake?

Registered
Zoe ZE50 GT-Line R135 Rapid Charge in Flame Red 馃榾
Trying to remember as my Zoe (ZE50) is different to the early models I had and Renault changed the app as well. You could try setting up scheduled charging starting (say) an hour after arrival and ending (say) at leaving work time to maximise the potential charging window. My thinking is that plugging the car in within a scheduled charging window would wake the car up.

I鈥檓 assuming that a colleague just plugs the charger end of your cable in when their car has finished? Is that right? Could they call you when they do this so you could use the app to start charging if option 1 above doesn鈥檛 work.
Good luck. Let us know if you get something to work. Bound to be others with similar problem.

Registered
Zoe R110
You are likely to find out it is a firmware issue. Not sure where as I never did get it sorted on my old car.
If you don't start charge within about ~15 mins of plugging the car in then it never wakes back up, making even overnight charging a problem.

I did find a workaround workaround though, which might just work the same for your issue.
After having the cable connected to car for a little while, at least 5 (might be a bit longer) minutes, you can use the remote to unlock the cable. DO NOT TOUCH IT, and let it re-lock after, which takes approx 60 seconds. For some reason this puts the car in to the correct snooze state so when power is available it wakes up and starts charging as expected.
Yes it is a faff but not exactly a big one.

As my local dealer is hopeless, trying to get anything from them was a big waste of time and I lived with it for years.

Reactions: DrEskimo

Registered
Renault Zo茅 ZE50 R135 Intens
Trying to remember as my Zoe (ZE50) is different to the early models I had and Renault changed the app as well. You could try setting up scheduled charging starting (say) an hour after arrival and ending (say) at leaving work time to maximise the potential charging window. My thinking is that plugging the car in within a scheduled charging window would wake the car up.

I鈥檓 assuming that a colleague just plugs the charger end of your cable in when their car has finished? Is that right? Could they call you when they do this so you could use the app to start charging if option 1 above doesn鈥檛 work.
Good luck. Let us know if you get something to work. Bound to be others with similar problem.
Do you have the same 15-minute window on your ZE50? I'd be curious to know the answer. Mine is finally signed for but won't be here for 2 weeks.

Registered
Zoe R110
Oh, FYI that was just my old car. I've a 2018 R110 and that works without issue, I had an early 2013 22kWh Zoe and that didn't have the issue either.
I am sure if I had taken the car to a different dealer to explain it they would have just looked at the firmware version and upgraded, but at cost of course. I'd doubt any ZE50 would have that sort of problem.

Registered
Ah glad I saw this, as I was just having issues with my Zoe working on scheduled charging on my home charger.

@Zarni I literally just worked out the method you describe above (wait for it it fail, then disconnect using the fob and leave it). So is this a firmware issue with the Zoe? Mine is a R90 registered Jan-17 (66-plate).

What's weird is that the few times I have tried it, a couple it worked fine with. When I plugged the cable in it didn't lock and the car didn't try and charge. It charged overnight fine.
When it fails, it tries to connect straight away (and fails obviously).

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've tried setting a schedule and that didn't work unfortunately - car showed check connections error when I got there. Scheduled charging works fine at home set from the car when I can plug in straight away- It's not having that initial conversation between car and charger that the car seems to object to. The app is useless as virtually no mobile reception at home or work. We have a brilliant What's app group for the EV drivers here so they do let me know when the charger is free but I can't always get out (I'm a theatre nurse) to plug in and I would hate to be hogging the charger if it's not even working.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts